Disappointing Spring

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Disappointing Spring

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

A disappointing Spring for Christchurch with bugger all storms.
Could this due to a mild winter. :shock:
Only real thunderstorm activity was recorded on the 12th and some weaker reports the day after :(
any other reports?

JohnGaul
NZTS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I have been quiet over last week as not much happening in the weather here apart from some unexpected drizzle this morning lower cloud has cleared now with thick upper level stuff.
Yes John but remember its Usually between 20th- of December 2005 and the 10th of January 2006 around that time we usually get relative amount of storms and hopefully should do this year its just a matter of time.
Rain tomorrow easing back to showers but no storms :evil: .
EDIT- Thunder forecast in North canty tomorrow although I dont think it will happen. But either Tuesday or Wednesday next week might be worth looking into.
CHEERS
JASON.
Skywatcher
Has thanked: 0

Re: Disappointing Spring

Unread post by Skywatcher »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:any other reports?
I missed the activity on the 12th - flying back from the UK at the time :cry:

But I did see flashes and a nice CG from a storm over Malaysia as we flew into Singapore at sunset on the 5th :)

Locally, there was some activity along the foothills on the afternoon of the 21st. I went for a look out by Hororata and Glentunnel but couldn't see anything with the low cloud and heavy rain :?
spike_01
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by spike_01 »

Only 1 thunder storm here last month... But it was a helluva storm... Never heard thunder so loud... 8)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The whole year has been poor for thunderstorms in Auckland. In a scale of 1 to 5, ( 5 being most active) 2005 would be a 1 for unstable weather. That shows up in our rainfall figures, a drier/sunnier than normal year.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

NZstorm wrote:The whole year has been poor for thunderstorms in Auckland. In a scale of 1 to 5, ( 5 being most active) 2005 would be a 1 for unstable weather. That shows up in our rainfall figures, a drier/sunnier than normal year.
if you guys have had a 1, were sitting on -12 here :evil:
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Yes, Spring was a non event for storms this year but atleast we had some nice weather. Spring weather in Auckland is usually diabolical.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: Disappointing Spring

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Steven Graham wrote:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:any other reports?
I missed the activity on the 12th - flying back from the UK at the time :cry:

I thought you may of been overseas then as I was expecting a report from Templeton.Aaron and Steve chased the storm around the TaiTapu area and got some good video footage

Locally, there was some activity along the foothills on the afternoon of the 21st. I went for a look out by Hororata and Glentunnel but couldn't see anything with the low cloud and heavy rain :?
I had a 5 out for that day but I thought it was a real dissapointment especially with the low cloud cover. It petered out fairly quickly.

JohnGaul
NZTS
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

We did have some ripping gales and the lowest pressure in years during spring so it wasn't a total loss in the interesting events ratings!

Cheers,

G
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

If we call Spring Sep 1-Nov 30 th it was great the 1st 2 weeks of Sept like Autumn then went downhill about the 15th till about a month culminating in the westerly gale we had on about the 9th Oct .. a Saturday I remember and the SW we had for a fortnight at the end of October into November
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

spwill wrote:Yes, Spring was a non event for storms this year but atleast we had some nice weather. Spring weather in Auckland is usually diabolical.
A SUPER Spring here! :P
Marked by wonderful days of clean-cut convection delivering scattered Tstorms, often with hail, squally showers during early October, and mainly warm and fine around those times. Oh yeah the tornado/microburst thing too! :twisted:
Spring started 23/August here with that wonderful display of lightning to the north.
Winter was a 2/5, but Spring was a 5/5 for sure.. I wonder what Summer will bring? :-k
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Brief rain here only 1mm so farr probly wont get much but atleast its something especially considering the fire danger here is on Low which Iam very surprised at for this time of the year.
Cheers
JASON.
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:A SUPER Spring here! :P
Marked by wonderful days of clean-cut convection delivering scattered Tstorms, often with hail, squally showers during early October, and mainly warm and fine around those times. Oh yeah the tornado/microburst thing too! :twisted:
Spring started 23/August here with that wonderful display of lightning to the north.
Winter was a 2/5, but Spring was a 5/5 for sure.. I wonder what Summer will bring? :-k
Pfft ;)

Some nice buildups here late this afternoon coming of inland Otago with a solid dumping of heavy rain. Just needed a bit more oomph in it
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.