trough 20/12/05

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Gary McConnochie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary McConnochie »

Just heard thunder to the south of here. Looking really black down south. :D :D
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes brief Tropical heavy shower just gone over here 20C currently and wow gettign very active on tracker now :D :D .
cheers
Jason.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Can see a nice black cloud to the south of me with precip but can't see any lightning yet. We can see lightning going off on tracker so know it's occuring, hence I think I heard some distant thunder however it could've also been a truck? But it sounded pretty convincing..

Will post a pic of the cloud later.

Cheers

Edit: Ok, sitting inside I'm pretty sure I just heared thunder!
Aaron Wilkinson
Gary McConnochie

Unread post by Gary McConnochie »

constant thunder and lightning out here now
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Can see lightning just south of me and getting some nice rollin gthunder now. Arghh work!! Hopefully I can duck out and take pics at times.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
tich

Unread post by tich »

Dark skies to the west, but I haven't noticed anything yet. Shower about midday in Chch, but nothing since. (could change anytime soon)
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote: Arghh work!! Hopefully I can duck out and take pics at times.

Cheers
No! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I was in Chch today (hence Aaron is hard at work) and it looked like one of those classic dark brooding SW changes which I actually think have been missing for the last few years - a real mid-summer wind change, reminded me of the 82/83 summer, mentioned on another thread here a week or two ago. That summer we had changes like this every week, sometimes twice a week. Great stuff. :)
Storm Struck

That storm did the typical BP run headed SE wards but had a breif period of rain heavy for abit with large drops of rain 4.8mm today though just enough to soak a cm into my vege garden.
More rain forecast tomorrow although I don't expect and storms looks like next chance could be Tuesday 27th but yeh who knows. :evil: .
A few pics from today one is a shower that I mentioned earlier today which had an anvil look to it and on the other one was our first heavy shower in behind that was the storm somewhere.
Cheers
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Raining on and off in central Chch from not long after my last post. Heard several rumbles of thunder at first, but nothing particularly loud, so actual thunderstorm wasn't too close.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Here's some pics from today, nothing much interesting happened in the end. I saw some faint sheet lightning (just....in the daylight) and heard a bit of thunder but that's it in the end.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Yes ... Well it was a quite an interesting thunderstorm to the south of us again today - they're getting closer :)
However, it was a bit boring really and petered out fairly quickly as it went around the back of BP, but then it's the best one we've had so far this NZTS season :)
I saw quite a few lightning strikes including arched lightning of which I have never seen before. I missed this on video as it happened between CG lightning strikes :roll:
There were some other pathetic lightning strikes of which I got on camera but nothing much to write home about :|
Good rain out of it however with 6.4mm to 10:30pm tonight
Some sferics on radio now but nothing according to the tracker?

JohnGaul
NZTS
Storm Struck

Just woken at 6am this morning to a downpour of rain and I mean short sharp bucketing down something iam sure the campers will enjoy.
5.8mm within 10 minutes :D that makes it 13mm since 3pm yesterday.
Gonna be abit colder today with that SW flow perhaps slight return to winter here.
Cheers
Jason.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Looks as if though it's been a pretty windy night in the NI, Westland and Southland.. we don't usually get that here. Baro is at 997mb.

Weak Cb's have developed this morning inland by the looks of it.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The wind kept the temperature at 19C here all night. Thats possibly close to our maximum for the day. Currently heavy showers here.

Yes, satellite shows a few cb's over the NI this morning. A bit of lightning on Ricky's tracker.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Nice looking line of CBs finally moved in but no thunder or lightning, at least not yet. Oops - instant update - cloud-cloud lightning just nearby now. Rain settling in, we should see off the 1969 tally of 925mm.
Storm Struck

Just heard about the storm on radio Rwood apparently some spectacular displays.
Cold here today with occasional showers at times and strong blustery SW winds :evil: things should ease up this aftenoon.
Reports of alot of surface Flooding this morning after the downpour especailly Johns rd.
Cheers
Jason.
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Jasestrm wrote:Just heard about the storm on radio Rwood apparently some spectacular displays.
Cold here today with occasional showers at times and strong blustery SW winds :evil: things should ease up this aftenoon.
Reports of alot of surface Flooding this morning after the downpour especailly Johns rd.
Cheers
Jason.
Some rain over the past two days, not much but certainly better than nothing. No storm activity within the Mackenzie or upper Waitaki Valley.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Rather uninteresting now, just light showers and a light-mod. southerly wind. The somewhat unstable conditions for the remainder of the month should still leave us with the lowest rainfall since either 1982 or 1988 and a significant surplus of sunshine.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Rather uninteresting now, just light showers and a light-mod. southerly wind. The somewhat unstable conditions for the remainder of the month should still leave us with the lowest rainfall since either 1982 or 1988 and a significant surplus of sunshine.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Showery this morning in central Chch. Still cloudy, but no more rain this afternoon. Wind has become strong and gusty.
Gary Roberts

Some spectacular cloudscapes around here, with many types of cloud formations evident, but nobody is paying much attention to any of it unless it's dumping rain! :)
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

They forecast showers, this is rain. 16mm yesterday with 30mm so far today. Don't think the lawns will get there Xmas cut :( but we need it for sure. Though it probably not falling in the right catchment areas :?
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Gary Roberts

Fujita Phil wrote:They forecast showers, this is rain. 16mm yesterday with 30mm so far today. Don't think the lawns will get there Xmas cut :( but we need it for sure. Though it probably not falling in the right catchment areas :?
We've had some heavy falls, but mostly light stuff. The Alpine catchment is copping a wee bit though, as some of the rivers are looking pretty wild.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

tich wrote:Showery this morning in central Chch. Still cloudy, but no more rain this afternoon. Wind has become strong and gusty.
I see no radar from Rakaia since 4pm yesterday, Ben? Must of got struck by lightning :shock:
I got 17.2mm of rain all up to 9am this morning. :)
Hope a good fall, fell at West Melton as well :) - my rain gauge up there was run over by a guy topping the paddock with his tractor and topper. I forgot to tell him about it :oops: :roll: #-o .. off to the $2 shop to get another one :D

JohnGaul
NZTS
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:
tich wrote:Showery this morning in central Chch. Still cloudy, but no more rain this afternoon. Wind has become strong and gusty.
I see no radar from Rakaia since 4pm yesterday, Ben? Must of got struck by lightning :shock:
I got 17.2mm of rain all up to 9am this morning. :)
Hope a good fall, fell at West Melton as well :) - my rain gauge up there was run over by a guy topping the paddock with his tractor and topper. I forgot to tell him about it :oops: :roll: #-o .. off to the $2 shop to get another one :D

JohnGaul
NZTS
Are you sure tha they still have them? went in the other day and they said they no longer stocked them :cry:
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers