Stromy Start to New Year

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Unread post by tich »

Dark cloud mass to northeast of Chch; could well be producing something of significance. And the wind has turned northeasterly.
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

We have some pretty beefy squalls ripping through Auckland currently, the temperature has dropped to 14°C. No thunder though.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

tich wrote:Dark cloud mass to northeast of Chch; could well be producing something of significance. And the wind has turned northeasterly.
Yes and that was a heavy shower that just went over me Tich with some strong gusty SW winds up to 50kmh only for a short time though.
Seen a Funnel cloud too I was unsure atfirst as whether it was just some of that lashing whispy rain cloud but then I could see it twirlin slightly it only lasted 5 minutes but a great 5 it was.
I have some pics of it will post them later But for now Looks like storms starting to fire down south lots saferics on radio now here's hoping.
Not a breath of wind outside currently.
cheers
Jason.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Bob Crowder reported a clap of thunder around Motokorara about 3pm.
...and that was it.
Too much glaciating and the fact of a westerly flow keeping dew points low failed to deliver today, apart from the odd hail shower.
I think that there still is a remote chance of a thunderstorm coming through here later this evening.
MetService have a weak trough-line/front around midnight with a curving to the south in behind it. There has been a light NE here since about 6pm and that could further enhance something happening.
However saying this, the barometer has risen slightly and looking out of the window it is calm.
...but, I am picking up distant sferix which I hope is the 'rodent' moving north.

I'm on my knees .... PLEASE, deliver

JohnGaul
NZTS
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

GraemeWi wrote:We have some pretty beefy squalls ripping through Auckland currently, the temperature has dropped to 14°C. No thunder though.
No squalls here, but just some rain from 6 to 7.40, heavy at times without any hail or thunder. Looks like the better stuff was north of here.

A return to fine weather tomorrow, but those showers should linger around Auckland.

Cheers
Storm Struck

Looks like there could be a storm just SW of the Peninnsula accoring to the tracker so here's hoping for the best. 8)
Here's todays pics quite a few ranging from different cloud types etc etc etc and of course my Funnel cloud yes It is a funnel cloud because it was roatating at the time.
So yes enjoy.
Whats with the new Detector Steven? the Miramar one which is located in Wellington who owns that? it's got a different map and strike symbols.
Cheers
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Storm Struck

Ok that last pic is a CU cloud.
More pics.
Cheers
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Storm Struck

One more.
Cheers
Jason.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Cool another boltek!! :D :D :) :)

Cool photos Jason
Storm Struck

Tracker is down but its clear BIG FLASHES TO THE SW NOW YUS.
CHEERS
jason.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Thanks for the photo's Jason, hard to see the funnel cloud in the above photo's.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Been indoors (movie) from 8.45 to 11pm; central Chch still dry when I came out, but quite alot of cloud about. Current weather reminds of a situation in December 2000, when Chch had some hail showers and little thunder in the afternoon, and then the main disturbance arrived late evening with large 'chickpea' sized hail and lots of thunder and lightning. Could tonight turn out the same? 10pm radar showed shower activity mostly in South Canterbury, south of Timaru, plus North Otago. (Oamaru getting about 2-3mm between 9 & 10)
Storm Struck

Some impressive flashes out there from S-W one flash I seen a big CG come down then some yellow sheet following it which lit up the cloud.
Looks like there is two storms one id say near Birdlings flat and the other perhaps near Ashburton
I think you guys must be out there in it Aaron,steve,steven etc Hope you are getting some great shots.
Now the waiting game staying up for the arivment of the storms.
Cheers
Jason.
joecam

Unread post by joecam »

Nice Light show this morning. 01:30am so far About 1 strike every 2-3 minutes over Christchurch been filming it.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Been following an awsome storm from its begginings behind Ashburton up to now in Chch. It's still going off but is quite infrequent so may call it a night now. Too much lightning dare I say!

Seen alot of hail on the roads but only up to 13mm at most, hopefully will have some cool pics either tonight or tomorrow. Also some fancy video work to with lots of thunder!!

No funnel clouds seen by us! Did you take any other pics of your funnel Jason, hard to see as spwill says.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
thunderbolt
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Chch Storm

Unread post by thunderbolt »

:D Yup, been up with cam, got some GREAT video, Aaron, gotta catch up and try this Firewire thing and see if we can get some stills. Pausing Lightning GREAT! Go you good things!
Willoughby
Site Admin

About time you Cantabs got some REAL thunderstorms!!! Cheers! :D :D 8)
thunderbolt

Foggy Hamilton wrote:About time you Cantabs got some REAL thunderstorms!!! Cheers! :D :D 8)
<sigh> We had one last year, alas! About Febuary! The panelbeaters did well out of it!

P.s can somebody explain how I look at photos like jasestorm posted previously (i'm obviously not nerdy enough!)
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

thunderbolt wrote:
Foggy Hamilton wrote:About time you Cantabs got some REAL thunderstorms!!! Cheers! :D :D 8)
<sigh> We had one last year, alas! About Febuary! The panelbeaters did well out of it!

P.s can somebody explain how I look at photos like jasestorm posted previously (i'm obviously not nerdy enough!)
click them :D
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
thunderbolt

[click them :D[/quote]

Where? All I get is this...
It won't let me click anywhere!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SSCN1430.JPG
Description:

Filesize: 46.92 KB
Viewed: 6 Time(s)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Nothing here, no lightning (yes, I did look during the evening), thunder, or hail. SW wind change came through around 4am with a couple of brief showers, that was it. :(
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Quite a cold night here but no weather excitement at all. Will post a link to NIWA's Dec summary when it's available - will confirm Dec. in NZ as the warmest since 1934 (about +1.9C, making it more than 4C warmer than last December! - But Dec. 1934 was in another league altogether at about 1.0C warmer than that again, part of the hottest summer recorded in NZ)
joecam

Unread post by joecam »

Some pics of the light show frame grabbed from video I filmed from the balcony of my house.02:15 Nature put on a good show.
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

thunderbolt wrote:Where? All I get is this...
It won't let me click anywhere!

SSCN1430.JPG
Description:

Filesize: 46.92 KB
Viewed: 6 Time(s)

There should be a clickable thumbnail of the photo here

If you can't see the thumbnail then I think that might be a problem with the browser you're using ???
Willoughby
Site Admin

Heavy showers rolling in from the SW here today, one cell to the NW of here seems to be thundery. Rain rate got up to 1.5mm/min this morning.

Looks like maybe eastern Wellington will be in shortly with the storms too.

Cheers