Stromy Start to New Year

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Unread post by tich »

I must've done to sleep by about 1am (when it was still just partly cloudy), but woke up about 3am to find it was raining, but no thunder/lightning, not even any s'ferics on the radio. Storm might not have reached central Chch, as it didn't wake me up - loud thunder and bright lightning usually do wake me up.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

Crappiest day here so far this year SW what more..... :cry:
squid
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by squid »

nice lightning shots guys well done about time you got some action down there
had a few showers this morning otherwise it is a fine day with a gental westerly wind
Angel

Unread post by Angel »

Lovely lightning shots :D the weather up here in the north is so boring!!!! Everyones been getting all this exciting weather, and what have we had? Sun, sun, showers, sun sun sun ARGH! I tell you, If I get any more sunburn, I'll have to just not leave the house anymore.
thunderbolt

Unread post by thunderbolt »

Thanks team, SORTED!
My partner's laptop has all cookies blocked etc, whereas my desktop doesn't. Can see photos now Yay!

I'm not really satisfied with how much lightning i've seen this summer... Hanging out for more!!!

:twisted:
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Angel wrote:Sun, sun, showers, sun sun sun ARGH! I tell you, If I get any more sunburn, I'll have to just not leave the house anymore.
Yes that sunshine up there in the far North really is burningly painful!! :o have really bad memories of Whangarei and Kaitaia.. quite a difference to Auckland and Waikato in the height of solar summer, about now.

Northern Queensland is having a late start to their wet seasons, but widespread heavy rain is forecast into next week.. so it will be interesting to see what subsides southeast.

Cheers
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

tich wrote:I must've done to sleep by about 1am (when it was still just partly cloudy), but woke up about 3am to find it was raining, but no thunder/lightning, not even any s'ferics on the radio. Storm might not have reached central Chch, as it didn't wake me up - loud thunder and bright lightning usually do wake me up.

Yes Ben, I heard the gradual increase of sferics from about 11pm and went outside to see flashing in the cloud out to the west of us. I stood out in the middle of the street about just after midnight to watch the show but had to curtail my lightning watching as I had to get up early this morning to drive to a funeral in Waimate. I heard no thunder so I anticipated that the storm was out West Melton way? I did sleep with the curtains open and saw one or 2 flashes. What a good way to go thunderstorm chasing - inbed??? :D
Anyway if we were out there by now it would of been another story :roll:

JohnGaul
NZTS
squid

Unread post by squid »

they seem to think that somehting may spin up during this coming and move it away form the qld coast will be watching this area to see if anything happends looks like WA is going to deal with a cyclone by monday well off the coast anyways
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

they seem to think that somehting may spin up during this coming and move it away form the qld coast
The high onto us will push a moist easterly onto the SE Queensland coast, there's a small low expected to drift down the SE Qld coast, thats a heavy rainfall situation for them.
thunderbolt

My FIRST ever report!

Unread post by thunderbolt »

Sorry it's late! Just figured out to take stills from my video camera!
Woken up at 0130 approximately by lightning and distant thunder.. Saw about 8 lightning, approx 30km NW of my location (North New Brighton)
before 2am, when it stopped. This was the same storm Aaron Wilkinson chased from Ashburton.

Quite spectacular, and I didn't get wet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tich

Unread post by tich »

The storm must've taken a northeasterly path, via West Melton, and skirting the northwestern outskirts of Chch. The jungle of buildings and large trees (I live near Hagley Park) probably prevented the lightning being too easily visible from my place.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Good stuff thunderbolt :)

Just partly cloudy here and mild.

Possibility of heat showers inland into next week.. otherwise some good holiday weather is here :D
squid

Unread post by squid »

nice pics well done boring fine wether here good for holiday makers i guess
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

rather boring here to with the cloud and the SW :evil:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Michael wrote:rather boring here to with the cloud and the SW :evil:

thtast efifingh nice :evil: Can't you change , micheal?

JohnGaul
NZTS
squid

Unread post by squid »

readiing the fiji metservice site and there r going for some kind of development in a few days time inteh area north if Fiji something to watch there is already a tropical low in that area also a small low off the townsville coast dont know wether it will come to anything just you never know at this time of year jsut a couple of thingd to watch exp now that Tc clarie has coseed the WA coast
Willoughby
Site Admin

First day in a while here with verticular development.. so just some heat showers possible this afternoon. Very warm at the moment and windless.
25c/dp 17c

This time two years ago we were getting temps in the 26-29c range and clear skies. I'd like to see that back...
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Some showers over Auckland (light) late this afternoon along a narrow seabreeze convergence line otherwise a fine warm day.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Were right in the convergence about 15mm fallen in last 40 mins or so.Wind went SE swung to the north and is dead still with Rain
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Under the line at my place as well but we're just getting light rain.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Rain is getting heavier here now. This is a good example of a convergence zone producing unexpected rainfall.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Michael said,
Were right in the convergence about 15mm fallen in last 40 mins or so.Wind went SE swung to the north and is dead still with Rain
Convergence line passed over here about 45 mins ago with Torrential rain.
The very Heavy Rain line was less than 500m wide here but moving very slowly north. Had a good soaking here.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

A classic SeaBreeze convergence here late afternoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Can see that convergance being built up over the Auckland region from the rooftop.. looks like it's at a height of 4-5000m.

Very impressive T/cumulus NE of here towards Te Aroha.. I think the slight inversion at around 5000m is pushing it down under itself.. Can you Aucklanders see it? It's rare and I wish I had my camera! Also some beautiful wave clouds to the SW towards Pirongia.

Just had one shower today from convergance, but mainly land based convection. Now mostly sunny, warm and calm. :)

32c in Kawerau! Wow - surely the right conditions today

Cheers
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Met Service forecast issued 7.57pm this Evening for Auckland is mainly fine. No mention of showers, still raining here, can you believe it.

Here's another pic form earlier this Evening.