Canterbury Cb Phots and Reports 06/01/2006

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

NZstorm wrote:And just throw this picture in of the great inflow into the storm near Timaru on the evening of the 4th...
Whoa!
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

NZstorm wrote:That funnel cloud photo of Jasons' looks like a strand of hail.

You could be right, Steve.
I can remember seeing something like that against the Port Hills. :)
It was the way that the sun was shining on the hail in comparison to the dark back-drop of the cloud. :-k

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Manukau heads observer wrote:great stuff!
wow, you SI ers are gotta be happy now!, LOL

Welll .... not really. If you are not prepared to go out and chase, everything so far this thunderstorm season seems to have gone around Christchurch. If is wasn't for the Selwyn District council, we would of probably been out at west Melton by now and would of enjoyed the thunderstorm after mid-night on Thursday/Friday night .
Thursday was a bit frustrating because of the persistence of the westerly not giving way to any sea-breeze effect until it was late in the day. :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Great pics NZstorm! Inflow one looks nice.. And good going thunderbolt, yes....learning all the stuff about getting your video on to the comp is hard! I found it mind boggeling at first but am understanding things now.

Since I'm soo lazy to update my site recently here's a selection of pics from our chase out on the 5th/6th Jan. All are clickable thumbnails:

Image Image Image

First nice Cb to go up on the plains out behind Ashburton, we heard some thunder and steve saw lightning. Some rain or possibly hail falling out of it in these pics. It then passed out to see looking quite impresive however only delivered infrequent flashes as evening drew near. The Cb's weren't moving that fast due to lack of shear.

As we watched a few faint distant flickers at times off the coast we noticed Cu going up behind us. The coastal NE breeze had picked up and looked to be getting right inland now. This Cu then started to take off so we headed towards Ashburton from where we were at the Ashburton river mouth. This is the cloud as it just went Cb.

Image Image Image
Image Image

We drove a little further on then noitced "flash"!, things were taking off so we pulled over. We are still on the coast side of Ashburton. In relation to the lightning photographs here Ashburton is somehwere to the right but you can't see the town lights in the pics as the photographs are a little too left of the town. So managed to get some nice pics here and watch an entertaining show, these are the best I managed. The 4th shot here in this group I took on a white balance setting called "Tungsten", it's for taking photo's indoors with incandescent lights. It's a bit unatural so decided not to take photo's in this setting as it's too blue, even though it sort of looks nice in a way I prefer the daylight setting which all the other photo's are taken with.

Image Image

This was on the other side of Ashburton where we wear nearly under the storm. Had a great show here with lots of thunder however my luck at getting lightning photo's was less. Got some nice video though so that's good. The first one here is taken on that Tungsten setting again I think, the lightning was so bright it over exposed the shot though.

So Horay and enjoy!

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

I think I need a new Camera, the settings on my camera were very similar if not the same but the quality Aaron got was much better than mine!! dammit!

I think A digital slr a must for any serious chaser!!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Weather Watcher
MetService Meteorologist

Unread post by Weather Watcher »

NZstorm wrote:And just throw this picture in of the great inflow into the storm near Timaru on the evening of the 4th....
That's a great photo NZstorm, but I wonder if it's actually the storm outflow (gust front?) rather than the inflow.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

03 Stormchaser wrote:I think A digital slr a must for any serious chaser!!
Yes! and with a time lapse function too! - However is this becoming standard in decent digital cameras these days?
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

A few more photos from the 5th... was wondering if last one was the same CG as Aaron's aw6a :-k One of the CGs I saw had half a dozen distinct return strokes which is why they look so over exposed :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

More excellent photos there. :)

Weather watcher wrote
That's a great photo NZstorm, but I wonder if it's actually the storm outflow (gust front?) rather than the inflow
I agree that the photo looks like a gust front, but it was not a gust front.
It was an area of strong inflow into the storm.
I think A digital slr a must for any serious chaser!!
Digital SLR is the way to go. The compact digital cameras have there place but are inferior to the SLR. Spwill uses a digital SLR. Good if you already have a range of lenses. But I think a digicam with a good mexapixel rating is even more useful.
Last edited by NZstorm on Sun 08/01/2006 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

[quote="NZstorm"]That funnel cloud photo of Jasons' looks like a strand of hail.

Yes well I was unsure as to wether it was a strand of hail despite the rotation and the fact that anothe local spotted it.
Huge fire between Karaki-Spencerville id say a pine plantation has caught fire sirens non stop here in Kaiapoi few pics below looking SE from my house and these strong to gale NW winds won't be helping either.
Cheers
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thunderbolt

Unread post by thunderbolt »

AWESOME photos, Aaron! GREAT job!
squid

Unread post by squid »

loving these pics wd guys
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

I'm still confused as to the lightning shots of last Thursday and Cbs etc.
Detail not clear :?
I have a rather dependent sferic recorder, ie. AM radio...but did not pick up much sferic activity until later in the evening.
With a much westerly influenced day, how did those clouds form when the onshore influence was much later in the day?
I need to know of more detail???

JohnGaul
NZTS