Scorcher possible Wednesday 11th Jan

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Scorcher possible Wednesday 11th Jan

Unread post by tich »

MetService predicts Chch to reach 30C tomorrow, but after looking at the TV1 Weather map (northwest airflow coming all the way from northern NSW), I wouldn't be surprised if it gets even hotter, thought without the gusty winds of Sunday. Should make a change from the cool onshore winds we've been getting for the last few days.
Last edited by tich on Wed 11/01/2006 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Hmm iam gona put a bet in for tomorrow of 33C just to be safe could get hotter although this wont be good for those fires still burning in the stumps of the trees in the ground at bottle lake forest plant plantation.
Cheers
Jason.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I find it incredible how the weather runs hot and cold down there. :)
Maybe this summer is more changeable than normal.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

I guess we would die up here with 33c :lol:
NZstorm wrote:I find it incredible how the weather runs hot and cold down there. :)
Maybe this summer is more changeable than normal.
Storm Struck

I actually couldn't believe it I think its this months MS calendar or either last years in december said about people fainting in Wellington during a heat wave when temps got to 28C surly some mistake there I can survive a 37C Day just ;) 8) 8) .
Cheers
Jason.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Michael wrote:I guess we would die up here with 33c

not with the low humidities of around 5-25% as Canty/Otago experiences.

I start to melt in 27c here.. even 19c at night is rough when trying to sleep
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Hi,

ChCh on 30 degrees I don't have a problem with - doesn't feel overly hot to me (been there a few times when the temperature is high), but down here 25-26 degrees feels so much hotter and it's far too easy to burn down here than in Chch - I got burnt today in 15 mins whereas in November sat in the sun up there for nearly 90 minutes with no problems.

I'd be happy to live somewhere that was on 20 - 22 degrees all year round but unfortunately there is nowhere in NZ that fits that criteria. Then again I don't think anywhere else in the world is as good as our country.

Have a good night

Cheers
Lyn

8)
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:
Michael wrote:I guess we would die up here with 33c

not with the low humidities of around 5-25% as Canty/Otago experiences.

I start to melt in 27c here.. even 19c at night is rough when trying to sleep
Yeah Foggy: we're approaching the dreaded first week of February. In Auckland (and much of the upper North Island) that usually means sweltering heat. I'm glad I'm not there! :D

I've mowed my lawn in 34°+/15% RH down here, and absolutely sweated myself half crazy in 27°/99% RH days up there. :shock:
Storm Struck

Yes indeed humidity is a main player in many areas our heat into the thirties is a dry heat where as to aussie its a more sticky heat and i gues same applies for other areas like auckland,southland etc etc etc.
Compare the dry heat of 42C in Rangiora ages ago to a sticky 45C in sydney the other week. phewww. 8)
Cheers
Jason.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Jasestrm wrote:where as to aussie its a more sticky heat ...
Compare the dry heat of 42C in Rangiora ages ago to a sticky 45C in sydney the other week. phewww. 8)
That's news to me Jason! :shock: ;)
Wind was gusty fohn NW coming off the Blue Mountains and prior to that, desert with Sydney AP dropping down to 10% humidity before the southerly buster on Jan 1.

All in all, Australia is certainly a dry heat with it being continental with large deserts dominating the interior. Eastern and northern QLD, the top end and northeasterlies to the NSW are only really sticky ;)
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

There's some funny disinformation going on here. Very high temps. in Sydney are NOT associated with high humidity, it can be as low as 5%RH at such times. Same applies to Brisbane when temps. are raised by from from inland. Outback humidities are generally low all year. I'm also sceptical of the idea that you can get sunburnt faster in In'gill than Chch, unless ozone hole effects come into play. I used to live in Invercargill and have spent some pretty hot days in Ch'ch.

There's no doubt though that 60% RH in Auckland and the like at say 27C is very uncomfortable.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Well put Foggy and RWood.
A typical 30 degree day here in Cairns is far more hotter/uncomfortable than a 30 degree day back at home in Crusader country.

The wet is starting to crank up a gear after a slow start,up to 70mm fell in a couple of hours around the inner suburbs here this afternoon.Monsoon is building across the top end as well,may well spin up a cyclone or two during the next couple if weeks.

Hope u mainlanders can dish me up a Southerly buster or two when Im home for a holiday in March.

Cheeers.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

In Sydney if the air comes out of the NE then it's moist.
You dont get the big temps along the Coastal fringe in this situation but in summer you do in the inland suburbs.
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Good morning,

You are right about disinformation - first of all we do not normally on hot days down here have high humidity - it's normally a dry heat unless there is a front coming in or thunderstorms brewing which can raise the humidity no matter where you live.

RWood - it's a fact that over the last few years the sun IS getting stronger down here and I have had ChCh visitors here who are amazed at the strength of it. An Auckland visitor one year when it was supposedly only '21 degrees' was wilting in the sun - yet she was told to pack her thermals. lol

Rain has arrived earlier for the bottom half of the South Island that MS forecast which is no surprise.

Have a nice day all

Cheers
Lyn
;)
squid

Unread post by squid »

you thing that 27 is hot try 40+ on for size they phew i wa sin oz when the 1st heatwave went through no again thanks it is a pretty warm day up here in the high 20s fine with a light easterly
Willoughby
Site Admin

Yes, there is a huge amount of rain to fall the next two days or so for the West Coast as it will be pushing up against the high.. it's going to really struggle to get here though.

Partly cloudy and warm again with not much wind at all :P
tich

Unread post by tich »

Well, not quite a scorcher for Chch today. Got up about 26C, but high cloud has come over now, so probably won't be reaching the 30s. (unless it clears up while the warm airflow is still over us)
Storm Struck

Not according to what iv'e heard Tich the NW is apparently very warm and heading eastwards and i recently on radio heard it was 30C in CHCH still not NW here though cant be farr off because NE has abated now.
So id say warm temps are still possible.
Cheers
Jason.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Yes its up to 27c here now 8)
tich

Unread post by tich »

Not according to what iv'e heard Tich the NW is apparently very warm and heading eastwards and i recently on radio heard it was 30C in CHCH still not NW here though cant be farr off because NE has abated now.
So id say warm temps are still possible.
Seems like the gusty NW has arrived in central Chch. I got the temp readings from Jeff's Hillmorton station where it's now gone up to 26.9C; the themometer just outside my door is currently at 24C. Temperatures quoted in radio can vary quite alot - they don't say where they get their readings from.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Some spitting rain from about midafternoon as the northwest arch darkened.
jeffsweather

Unread post by jeffsweather »

Quite a shower here form the northwest. There were a few spots in town and on the way home about 4pm but its quite wet out there now.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Got to 30 here, northwest was fresh, calm now
tich

Unread post by tich »

Quite a shower here form the northwest. There were a few spots in town and on the way home about 4pm but its quite wet out there now.
Yes more solid rain from the time of my last post. 7pm radar shows the rain band over and to the northeast of Chch - No rain elsewhere in Canterbury, except the Alps.
Storm Struck

Yes Tich Radio stations are abit like the media they seem to go overboard with the weather sometimes.
Rain here too large drops about 4pm then some good rain about 7pm enough to wet the ground this is kinda like the unpredicted showers over Auckland it is a typical situation and the same goes for here this rained has formed within the high cloud from a warm airstream and moist NE coastal winds for much of the day.
70 people killed in parts of Japan after big heavy snowfalls collasping roofs of not secure houses and more snow predicted in the coming days.
Cheers
Jason