Scorcher possible Wednesday 11th Jan

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Flutterbye
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Good evening,

Jan 1984 - three days of rain caused major flooding around the province and in the north of the city - but it wasn't blowing - pretty straight down rain that I can recall. There are probably a lot of towns and cities around NZ that can easily match or beat some of those figures

Temperature at the airport this evening at 6.00pm 27 degrees - I recorded a high of 31.8 - inside temp right now is 31.9.

Cheers
Lyn

If you saw a heatwave - would you wave back =;
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Flutterbye wrote: Temperature at the airport this evening at 6.00pm 27 degrees - I recorded a high of 31.8 - inside temp right now is 31.9.
I had to laugh at the person that rang TV 3 news today reporting a Mosgiel temp of 45°C.. including a photo 'for proof'. :lol: :D

Good to see she laughed it off
Flutterbye

I didn't see the news but I would presume that would have been taken from a normal thermometer in the direct sun??? If that's the case we could all get that sort of reading. :roll: :D

Cheers
Lyn

If you saw a heat wave would you wave back? =;
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Boy howdy it's hot in this town Flutterbye. Went for a run about 5pm but the heat of the urban concrete jungle almost killed me. That H&J Smith tower in the middle of town, with the clock and temp is a shocker though... it must read at least 5C higher than the actual temp
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Flutterbye

Evening Fujita Phil,

Normally that clock is about right for the city temp - bout 4 degrees warmer than the airport. Was 25 at midday & the clock said 29 which is what my reading was at that time.

Still 28 degrees inside so I'm not looking forward to bedtime thats for sure.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

nzmaninsydney wrote:Invercargill's rainfall totals for 1981/1982/1983/1984:-

December 1981 152.0 mm
December 1982 128.0 mm
December 1983 161.0 mm
December 1984 101.0mm

Jan 1982 215.0 mm
Jan 1983 213.0 mm
Jan 1984 278.0mm

Those periods are associated with a strong El Nino weather pattern which saw a huge frequency of South-Westerlies than normal.

Already for January 2006- Invercargill has so far recorded 215.0mm and there's 8 more days to go-this is due to the higher than normal frequency of South-Westerlies.

Can see that its a lovely day down there-25 degrees at the moment with sunshine.
The El Nino is not the only contributor to this pattern. For the present, we are nowhere near an El Nino.

I have rechecked the SOI index table for the summers 1981/82, 1982/83 and 1983/84. 1982/83 summner was in an El Nino - part of the biggest or near-biggest for the whole century. The other two seasons were NOT.

And by the way - the RH for Sydney Aero on Jan 1 (the 45.2 day) was only 45% at 9am and ONLY 13% at 3pm - both unusually low values, especially the latter!
Flutterbye

Good afternoon

Mostly sunny day with a strong NNW and I measured a high of 29.4. Roll on the westerly change. I see Dunedin airport reached 31. Phew 8)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I was just going to say that it looked like it would be a warm day down there today, interesting to see what temperatures they put on the telly tonight :)
JohnGaul
NZTS
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Very hot here in Alexandra

Yesterday 35.6
Today 35.5

Temp now 31.9 humidity 18% :P
Flutterbye

I dare say the airport temp will probably be 25-26 max. I swear they have that damn temp gauge buried in the ground at times ;) :lol:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yes Lyn/Flutterbye, it said only 26C for Invercargill, well the airport and only 29C for Dunedin, no mention of the airport at Momona which probably would of got into the thirties out there on the Tairei Plain :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Flutterbye

I am presuming that the Sky weather channel gets it's reading from Dunedin airport because it definitely said 31 degrees this afternoon - I just can't recall what time that was.

Cloud building up here - I'm reading 20.7 now but still 28 inside.

Weatherman on TV1 said "throw an extra blanket on the bed tonight in the south tonight as the change comes through" I can't believe that they think that a cool change would make the temperature inside a home plummet that quickly - the thought of sleeping under one blanket tonight let alone two makes me feel even hotter just thinking about it. :roll:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

I'd say it would of been 31C out there.
I don't know about putting an extra blanket on the bed. it will be much cooler, probably only up to 17c tomorrow but not that cold although people do think it is much colder after after a period of warmer weather :)
The TVone weather guy is from Auckland/Polynesian extraction so he would not know what living in Southland and the weather is like, well I wouldn't know as well I'm a Cantabrian...and we re one eyed apparently etc. :D :?

JohnGaul
NZTS
Flutterbye

I don't mind a cooler day or two in between the warmer days - can't do the garden in the heat - whereas about 18 to 20 with a lot of cloud is just right for weeding. :D

Have a good evening all and I hope you North Islanders don't suffer too much damage from the storm.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Flutterbye wrote:I don't mind a cooler day or two in between the warmer days - can't do the garden in the heat - whereas about 18 to 20 with a lot of cloud is just right for weeding. :D

Have a good evening all and I hope you North Islanders don't suffer too much damage from the storm.
Yes, about 13C there tomorrow, will become warmer in the WE. Forecast models are a bit lax at the moment.

JohnGaul
NZTS
nzmaninsydney
Been thanked: 0

Humidity in Sydney

Unread post by nzmaninsydney »

I live at Bondi Beach.

When a north-easterly breeze blows, it can be very humid especially overnight and in the mornings.

Sometimes it will be a dry morning, then in the afternoon when the north-easterly arrives, it can raise the humidity levels to the oppressive mark.

When winds blow from the east or south-east, they can be humid but no-where as bad as the north-easterly one.

When we get winds here from the west-that is a dry wind-humidity levels are much lower.[/quote]
Daniel Rees
nzmaninsydney

RWood wrote:
nzmaninsydney wrote:Invercargill's rainfall totals for 1981/1982/1983/1984:-

December 1981 152.0 mm
December 1982 128.0 mm
December 1983 161.0 mm
December 1984 101.0mm

Jan 1982 215.0 mm
Jan 1983 213.0 mm
Jan 1984 278.0mm

Those periods are associated with a strong El Nino weather pattern which saw a huge frequency of South-Westerlies than normal.

Already for January 2006- Invercargill has so far recorded 215.0mm and there's 8 more days to go-this is due to the higher than normal frequency of South-Westerlies.

Can see that its a lovely day down there-25 degrees at the moment with sunshine.
The El Nino is not the only contributor to this pattern. For the present, we are nowhere near an El Nino.

I have rechecked the SOI index table for the summers 1981/82, 1982/83 and 1983/84. 1982/83 summner was in an El Nino - part of the biggest or near-biggest for the whole century. The other two seasons were NOT.

And by the way - the RH for Sydney Aero on Jan 1 (the 45.2 day) was only 45% at 9am and ONLY 13% at 3pm - both unusually low values, especially the latter!

I was in Sydney that day and it was very humid-I dont care what the RH readings were that day-it was very humid and very oppressive/ uncomfortable-many people crowded into air-conditioned malls, shops and pubs, many of us were sweating excessively.

Inside my flat, me and 2 mates from Brisbane sweated non-stop and it got that bad, we had to go to a air-conditioned pub to cool down and stop the sweating. My mates from Brisbane commented to me that the humidity was even worse than Brisbane!

We are having an strong El Nino weather pattern here in Oz, Many places in NSW, QLD and NT had very well-below average rainfalls for December 2005, as well as having one of our driest years on record. In Sydney all but Feb, Mar and Nov had well-below average rianfall-this is normally connected to a El Nino weather pattern. Also had one of our warmest Decembers on record, where as in Perth it was the coldest December on record-due to higher-than-normal south-westerly winds.
Daniel Rees
Willoughby
Site Admin

nzmaninsydney wrote: I was in Sydney that day and it was very humid-I dont care what the RH readings were that day-it was very humid and very oppressive/ uncomfortable-many people crowded into air-conditioned malls, shops and pubs, many of us were sweating excessively.

Inside my flat, me and 2 mates from Brisbane sweated non-stop and it got that bad, we had to go to a air-conditioned pub to cool down and stop the sweating. My mates from Brisbane commented to me that the humidity was even worse than Brisbane!
Not humid at all.. just plain stinking hot! Or was everyone then un-educated? :?
Flutterbye

Morning

Definitely cooler today with a moderate WSW. I have recorded no rainfall, (though I see the airport reported .8mm overnight), and a temp of 16 at the moment.
:)
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Can get very hot with the high humidity in Sydney.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

nzmaninsydney wrote:
RWood wrote: The El Nino is not the only contributor to this pattern. For the present, we are nowhere near an El Nino.

I was in Sydney that day and it was very humid-I dont care what the RH readings were that day-it was very humid and very oppressive/ uncomfortable-many people crowded into air-conditioned malls, shops and pubs, many of us were sweating excessively.

We are having an strong El Nino weather pattern here in Oz, Many places in NSW, QLD and NT had very well-below average rainfalls for December 2005, as well as having one of our driest years on record. In Sydney all but Feb, Mar and Nov had well-below average rianfall-this is normally connected to a El Nino weather pattern. Also had one of our warmest Decembers on record, where as in Perth it was the coldest December on record-due to higher-than-normal south-westerly winds.
I suggets you go the Australian weather sites and look at the literature on SOI/ENSO. Current conditions are neutral. You are trying to simplify matters by attributing too many situations to a macro-situation that simply doesn't apply at present. I repeat - we are NOT in an El Nino at present, "Australian" not being a local qualifier that somehow you try to use to validate your statement.

Here is the latest statement on the status, to save you the trouble of searching:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/

I can hardly complain about the nonsense that is talked in the media,
when people like you are so determined to propagate non-facts. Black is White, you say.

Incidentally, I lived in the South for about 15 years and it was very obvious that a variety of south-westerly/westerly situations could occur without any background bias from anything as major as an El Nino.

I won't waste my time on your humidity speculations.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Is Sydney airport inland? Is it possible there was a NW breeze there (off the interior and therefore very dry) while it was NE (and perhaps a little more humid) in the city nearer the coast? Rather like what happens at Chch Airport vs Chch city from time to time (although obviously much hotter).

As for the ENSO correlations, yes its true that some parts of Australia show strong causal links between EN and drought, but that doesnt mean there is a causal link the other way around between drought and EN. Just because its dry and in a strong W phase doesnt mean it has to be EN. And clearly it isnt.
nzmaninsydney

Foggy Hamilton wrote:
nzmaninsydney wrote: I was in Sydney that day and it was very humid-I dont care what the RH readings were that day-it was very humid and very oppressive/ uncomfortable-many people crowded into air-conditioned malls, shops and pubs, many of us were sweating excessively.

Not humid at all.. just plain stinking hot! Or was everyone then un-educated? :?
Were u in sydney that day?
Daniel Rees
nzmaninsydney

TonyT wrote:Is Sydney airport inland? Is it possible there was a NW breeze there (off the interior and therefore very dry) while it was NE (and perhaps a little more humid) in the city nearer the coast? Rather like what happens at Chch Airport vs Chch city from time to time (although obviously much hotter).

As for the ENSO correlations, yes its true that some parts of Australia show strong causal links between EN and drought, but that doesnt mean there is a causal link the other way around between drought and EN. Just because its dry and in a strong W phase doesnt mean it has to be EN. And clearly it isnt.
Sydney Airport is near the coast, thats true that NW winds can bring dry heat, NE winds usually cool the coastal areas down in the arvo but raises the humidity to high levels, whereas further inland, it can remain dry and hot, but on that 44.7oC day, it was very humid all day even thought there was no NE winds blowing. This was a rare feature and possibly the 1st time i had experienced that since moving to Sydney in 2001. Sydney usually gets it readings from Observatory Hill which is in the city.
Daniel Rees
Willoughby
Site Admin

nzmaninsydney wrote:
Foggy Hamilton wrote: Not humid at all.. just plain stinking hot! Or was everyone then un-educated? :?
Were u in sydney that day?
lol, no don't worry *sigh* :roll: