Scorcher possible Wednesday 11th Jan

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:...the Wizard lives there now...

JohnGaul
NZTS
Seriously? I had no idea! He must be about the only 'celebrity' in town, besides the penguins. That's actually kind of cool. :D
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

My English-born (Lancashire) grandmother and her Oamaru-born husband lived in Oamaru for a few years - they didn't mind the cold at all, but she hated the northwesterly, and he didn't like it much either.
Gary Roberts

Foggy Hamilton wrote:The TV temps do do justice, there's nothing ever wrong with the readings from the MetService.
I don't even know where to begin! :shock: :twisted:

Assuming the Met Service's numbers are always accurate, and TVNZ report those, would lead us to believe that TVNZ's weather reports can only ever be accurate too. Yet they aren't. They rarely ever are.

Applying the data from one locality to another locality simply because they lack data from the second is one issue I can think of. Another is terminology: who at TVNZ decides what a "light dusting of snow" is?

Perhaps if you're from Siberia anything less than a roof-crushing load may indicate the onset of Global Warming, but in NZ's High Country 40cm constitutes more than a "light dusting"...yet that's how TVNZ described it a year or two back. :shock:
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

My understanding is that TVNZ's temperature display contains quite a number from "optimistic" sites (in the sense earlier described by Gary). A good example is the Kapiti Coast in fine weather with an easterly/southeasterly component - the warming over more exposed places (in those conditions) is ridiculously exaggerated.

And why the stupid competition? Nothing can change the reality that NZ is in a changeable temperate zone, with a lot of maritime cloudiness - enjoy the good days!
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

A lot of the West Coast temperatures are higher than what they say on the telly, but the West Coasters don't seem to mind what Karen, the Shirt or what Toni Marsh say :roll:

JohnGaul
NZTS
squid

Unread post by squid »

always back onto the female presenters sheesh keep it int the pants :roll: :shock:
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Gary Roberts wrote:Where do you draw the line though tgsnoopy? Do we place a station in every yard and average them?
No, but it would be nice if the reading were representative of the temperatures the majority of people living in that area experienced.

That's all I'm saying on the subject.
Gary Roberts

tgsnoopy wrote:
Gary Roberts wrote:Where do you draw the line though tgsnoopy? Do we place a station in every yard and average them?
No, but it would be nice if the reading were representative of the temperatures the majority of people living in that area experienced.

That's all I'm saying on the subject.
It's a tough one I guess. If we're only interested in climate data comparisons then I think RWood is correct: reliable, longterm readings are the priority. It gets trickier when the goal is an accurate profile of local weather conditions, considering the size of modern metropolitan precints, and the diversity of the topography: it's especially difficult to provide the readings local populations expect when people's own perceptions are always miles out.

A guy I work with is hoping the new Vaisala station I'm installing at Twizel will finally wrest the highest daily temperature figures away from Andy and Alexandra. To me that is such a silly and trivial point of view, yet he's not alone in obsessing about his town's lack of representation on the TV weather. What they don't realise is that until the Met Service install a station Twizel still won't be represented on the TV weather. No matter what I do, or install, the data I collect won't be considered acceptable until it comes from the Met Service.

But still some people seem to think they'll sleep easier at night "knowing" they've won some kind of competition. Because of that I simply can't take the whole "our weather is much better than that!" attitude: the weather is what the weather is, and if readings and data are collected from the same kinds of places in each locality then at least there's some consistency. But then we'll here the "There's something wrong with the weather stations because our airport is much hotter than their airport!". :roll:
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

SouthEastern parts of NZ can get their high temp for the day at 10am before a cold change or for 30 mins while a NW blows through so TV temps can be misleading.
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

You are right - sometimes after a very warm day the temp may be in the low twenties after midnight but plummet at dawn with the rest of the day on say '17 degrees' but the twenties temp will be the one shown on TV. It probably happens a lot more than most realise - actually I've seen it happen here before. :lol:

Cheers
Lyn
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Flutterbye wrote:You are right - sometimes after a very warm day the temp may be in the low twenties after midnight but plummet at dawn with the rest of the day on say '17 degrees' but the twenties temp will be the one shown on TV. It probably happens a lot more than most realise - actually I've seen it happen here before. :lol:

Cheers
Lyn

Yes, I don't know if TV3 still do it but they used to show the current temps of the main towns and quite often Dunedin would be currently showing 2 or 3 degrees above the maximum for the day.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Gary Roberts wrote:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:...the Wizard lives there now...

JohnGaul
NZTS
Seriously? I had no idea! He must be about the only 'celebrity' in town, besides the penguins. That's actually kind of cool. :D
Well being born there and leaving at the age of 18 you "could" say that I was the only other Oamaru celebrity ;)

I saw that weather station a few months back when I travelled through. Ironically I grew up 100m from that station and played in the reserve that it now stands in. It will miss a lot of the sea breeze being tucked in there for sure.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Fujita Phil wrote:
Well being born there and leaving at the age of 18 you "could" say that I was the only other Oamaru celebrity ;)
Janet Frame, the author came from Oamaru :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Flutterbye

Evening,

Hail & thunder on Sunday - A couple of hail showers yesterday morning then sunny afternoon - I recorded 19.4.

Today warm but a strong nnw wind and I recorded 24.8.

Tomorrow more hail & thunderstorms in the evening????? :o

Cheers
Lyn
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Flutterbye wrote:
Tomorrow more hail & thunderstorms in the evening????? :o

Cheers
Lyn

Some people get all the luck. ;)
If it's not the north of the country, then it's the south :roll:
When will it end???? :roll:

JohnGaul
NZTS
Flutterbye

Never mind - I've got plenty of tasks indoors to keep me busy. Though not the computer if the tunderstorms arrive. :lol:

Have a good evening

Cheers
Lyn
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: When will it end???? :roll:
Quite soon if you believe this:

http://news.independent.co.uk/environme ... 338878.ece

:shock:
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

seems a bit over the top if you ask me....
one minute it says gaia is widely accepted, then next that its increasing more becoming accepted

the bit about all the dust suddenly falling out of the atmosphere because of a large industrial down turn....does not sequence very well :shock:
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
nzmaninsydney

45oC in Sydney on 1st Jan 06/Aucklands weather

Unread post by nzmaninsydney »

I was in Sydney when it was 45oC, that was bloody hot man, the humidity made it much worse-went to the (air-conditioned) pub at 1pm with mates and stayed there until 10pm-a southerly change swept thru-dropped temperatures from 45oC to 19oC in 14 minutes! This was the biggest temperature drop in Sydney's weather history.

Was in Auckland for 2 weeks from 6th to 22nd Jan-weather was very good-only rained (actually showered) on 2 days-the rest of my holiday-the sun shone and shone-also noticed that it was very dry in Auckland-judging by the state of the grass. Day-time temps were quite warm and bit humid at times, night-times were much cooler and there was a lot of wind.

Saw on the news that it was 12oC in Invercargill (Sunday 16th Jan) with lots of heavy showers and hail along with SW gales. Sounds like the summers of 1981/1982 and 1982/1983. Noticed that Invercargill or Dunedin tended to be the coldest places in NZ (during my 2 week holiday).

For me-40oC is the limit for me-i can cope with temps up to 38 or 39 degrees (dont get that very often here in Sydney).
Daniel Rees
Flutterbye

Morning

Yes we had nearly two weeks of rubbish but December was pretty warm which doesn't match the summers you mentioned. I think they were strong El Nino years weren't they? Warm yesterday and today we have wall to wall blue sky and at 10am it's was already 25 degrees in the city.

Cheers
Lyn

If you saw a heat wave - would you wave back? =; [/u]
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

There's no match at all to 1982-1983. There has been some commonality with 1981/1982 - in the case of December, the last one was wamer than the Dec 1981 case, and also a bit sunnier though still cloudy in many places. Jan has a fair resemblance to 1982 so far with sunny dry weather in most parts but wetter in south and west of South Is., and a fair bit of wind.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Conditions are still idyllic in Nelson - warm but not too "hot", plentiful sunshine. Great conditions at Pohara beach yesterday - water warm enough for softies like me. Brief phase of passing high/middle cloud and a light shower late afternoon on returning to Nelson, then fine clear evening with a picturesque sunset. As in many parts of NZ, things are looking very dry. Will post a few pictures later.

Meanwhile my home town may have had a bit of wind this month but has also clocked up 9.4 hrs of sun/day to 22nd.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

nzmaninsydney said
Was in Auckland for 2 weeks from 6th to 22nd Jan-weather was very good-only
Auckland has a similar climate to coastal Sydney from Jan to April however by August the climates are very different, very wet and cool here, dry and warming up there.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Well i mean to say temperatures of almost daily averages into the mid twenties here and across many NZ regions is unusual indeed.
Temps are usually 18-21C under these NE fine conditions but have easily been making it over the 25C mark on most of these occasions.
Also much more NW days where temps have reached 30+C in some areas but this of course due to more W-NW winds with more rainfall in the farr south. 8)
Fine and warm today with a breezy NE wind currently 26.2C :D farmers will be looking for that rain later this week with fire risk now on high.
Cheers
Jason.
nzmaninsydney

Unread post by nzmaninsydney »

Invercargill's rainfall totals for 1981/1982/1983/1984:-

December 1981 152.0 mm
December 1982 128.0 mm
December 1983 161.0 mm
December 1984 101.0mm

Jan 1982 215.0 mm
Jan 1983 213.0 mm
Jan 1984 278.0mm

Those periods are associated with a strong El Nino weather pattern which saw a huge frequency of South-Westerlies than normal.

Already for January 2006- Invercargill has so far recorded 215.0mm and there's 8 more days to go-this is due to the higher than normal frequency of South-Westerlies.

Can see that its a lovely day down there-25 degrees at the moment with sunshine.
Daniel Rees