Big Easterly Low: 24th-28th

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

It's starting to release it's fury now quick someone think of a name for this low as it could be rough night ahead for many. :D
Blardy humid and warm here especially in the last few hours 28C at the moment with some occasional large drops of rain starting to fall and cloud thickening nicly to the N-NE.
Cheers
Jason.
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

approaching 100m at brynderwyn now
met service have done well with this system :D
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

met service have done well with this system
Yes, Met Service have been very good , picked it well and gave everyone plenty of warning.

Still very blustery here with light rain, dew points over 20C.
temp_grl

Unread post by temp_grl »

Small tree gone down here across the road, still very windy here in Herne Bay, Auckland. Rain has died down a lot tho.

Btw - hi everyone I am really interested in the weather and everythng about it and will be posting on the site from now on occassionally (when I have something to say)! :D
andrew begent-peers

Unread post by andrew begent-peers »

Hi All,

Trying to look at http://www.geographynetwork.co.nz/website/publicstrike without success. Can anyone recommend a site to track lightning on the North Island especially around Auckland where i am right now.

Now at 990mb / hpa and still dropping. Lets hope we get some sun for a bit of heating to get something going.

Andrew
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Heavy rain and E gusting 30 knots has eased.

Power out in some places in the far north...
Few crashes on the AK motorways.. wouldn;t wanna imagine what it's like up there! :shock:
Manukau heads observer wrote: met service have done well with this system :D
Yes they have but so have other groups ;)
Btw - hi everyone I am really interested in the weather and everythng about it and will be posting on the site from now on occassionally (when I have something to say)!
Welcome along! :D
Manukau heads obs

gusting to 44 knots here now :)
now thats its NE, we are more exposed here too
might just get to the 50 kts i suspected yet!
Willoughby
Site Admin

andrew begent-peers wrote:Hi All,

Trying to look at http://www.geographynetwork.co.nz/website/publicstrike without success. Can anyone recommend a site to track lightning on the North Island especially around Auckland where i am right now.

Now at 990mb / hpa and still dropping. Lets hope we get some sun for a bit of heating to get something going.

Andrew
Hi... corect link is http://www.geographynetwork.co.nz/websi ... viewer.htm

But ricky's boltek provides the live info :http://www.portunus.net.nz/weather/StormVue.html

Oh and an offset has to be added to that 990mb :)
Manukau heads obs

winds now easing in the outer gulf area....
still increasing here, blowing a good gale here now :)
andrew begent-peers

Unread post by andrew begent-peers »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:
andrew begent-peers wrote:Hi All,

Andrew
Hi... corect link is http://www.geographynetwork.co.nz/websi ... viewer.htm

But ricky's boltek provides the live info :http://www.portunus.net.nz/weather/StormVue.html

Oh and an offset has to be added to that 990mb :)
Thanks Foggy,

Got it working now and you are quite right Ricky's is very informative

Andrew
squid

Unread post by squid »

I have a weather station so that is how i been measuring these winds mate the wind has died right down now and now is NNE muggy as anything and baro sitting on 996
Manukau heads obs

Hi
what model weather station there Squid?

8)
Willoughby
Site Admin

East northeasterlies really rising now.. strongest NE winds I can remember!! (in my short experience ;) ) Grey street is a total mess.. its not usually that messy when its a wetter and windier NW.

I see there has been 76mm so far since 9am in Tauranga..and 90mm in Rotorua! And thats riding on a relatively sheltered easterly! :shock:

Add an extra 20mm or so from our 32mm for Cambridge too.. just 20km from here.

Temp here is still rising :).. baro now 1002 in rapid decline
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

The system has moved away to the south now, the sun is out, the wind is dropping and its a very humid and sticky 24°C. We collected about 53mm today which is pretty good!
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Looks like it will stay humid up here into next week with the risk of afternoon showers
Willoughby
Site Admin

Looks like it will stay humid up here into next week
Oh yes.. it's going to get quite unbearable.. Auckland remaining rainy from tomorrow morning until Friday. Winds gusty SW by tomorrow evening.. but tend southerly on thurs.. then easterly again by Friday.

Very deep and severe convection developing inland and on the eastern seabords along sea breeze convergances coming up :P :P
Temps in the 26-30c range.

That rain about 200km east of Whangarei is curving back now! And set to hit northern Coromandel very soon within the next few hours so the rain is not over :) Its heading for the far north from the NW too :)
tich

Unread post by tich »

Rain now just to northeast of Chch, according to 7pm radar. 18mm in the hour prior to 7pm in Rotorua - now that's really heavy rain!
Re Takapuna and Orewa webcams - they look just like west coast beaches!
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

tich wrote:Rain now just to northeast of Chch, according to 7pm radar. 18mm in the hour prior to 7pm in Rotorua - now that's really heavy rain!
Re Takapuna and Orewa webcams - they look just like west coast beaches!
No, the 80mm we got in an hour back in May was heavy rain.

Luckily this time the rain was consistant without extremely high rates and I'm not aware of any serious flooding in the greater Tauranga area. Of course we have the usual surface flooding, but nothing too bad.

We stayed dry at home :)

The new State Highway 36 (Tauranga to Rotorua direct road) is closed by a slip and the Karangahake Gorge (SH 2 between Waihi and Paeroa) is closed due to flooding. SH25/25A around Thames in the Coromandel is closed in places, I think it's passable using diversions though.

I beleive we now have had about 80mm since this event started. The heaviest rain was from 2-3pm from memory. Currently the wind has slowed down (maybe 15 knots?) Temp is approx 21, humidity very high at about 93%, rain eased to drizzle.

I suspect it will remain quiet for a few more hours then pick up again. I don't think we have seen the end of it yet, but most looks like it's going to pass East of us (I hope).
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes Tich Rain beiginning to properly fall now out here in North Canty also NE winds strenthend abit fresh to 35kmh at the moment and I can hear the sea roaring from here and I live about 10 minutes from the beach thats drive wise anyway.
It's heading south might not be as severe here but still interesting to watch getting rain from a NE direction. 8)
Cheers
Jason.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Jasestrm wrote:Yes Tich Rain beiginning to properly fall now out here in North Canty also NE winds strenthend abit fresh to 35kmh at the moment and I can hear the sea roaring from here and I live about 10 minutes from the beach thats drive wise anyway.
It's heading south might not be as severe here but still interesting to watch getting rain from a NE direction. 8)
Cheers
Jason.
A few spits here, Jase, but nothing much. Looks very grey8/8Ns in your direction. Ene still keen with a temp of 18C from a high of 23C.
The good rain out to sea judging by the Rakaia radar. If it does come onshore, with the southerly later , we should get about 18mm :) I hope so as the weather looks crap otherwize after this event, rainwize?
JohnGaul
NZTS
Last edited by NZ Thunderstorm Soc on Tue 24/01/2006 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Temperature here 22C with a dewpoint 21C with mist. Going to be a muggy night. If we can get some decent daytime heating tomorrow, thunder is on the cards.

I see Geoff Mackley has a picture of flooding this evening at Katitati(near Tuaranga). Nearby southern Coromandal ranges have recieved 275mm today, while kaimai summit has recorded 222mm so far today!.
Last edited by NZstorm on Tue 24/01/2006 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
squid

Unread post by squid »

lots of strikes been picked up to the NW of northland atm fomr the auckland tracker seem sthat we r in a dry slot behind th emain raindband atm very humid days ahead we will need a stsytem to flush all this humidity out
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

squid wrote:lots of strikes been picked up to the NW of northland atm fomr the auckland tracker seem sthat we r in a dry slot behind th emain raindband atm very humid days ahead we will need a stsytem to flush all this humidity out
Don't understand :x
Could you speak English please???

JohnGaul
NZTS
squid

Unread post by squid »

oh btw my weather station is a weathermax one oh man sorry about the typos in that last post i was trying to say that there are quite a few strikes being picked up to the NW of northland atm and that was basically it and also that we need a weather system to flush out all this humidity phew it is sticky
Last edited by squid on Tue 24/01/2006 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

NZstorm wrote:
I see Geoff Mackley has a picture of flooding this evening at Katitati(near Tuaranga). Nearby southern Coromandal ranges have recieved 275mm today, while kaimai summit has recorded 222mm so far today!.

I thought Geoff Mackley was in Yellowstone National Park filming the Supervolcano that erupted on TV One last night ;) ;) ;)

JohnGaul
NZTS