Supervolcano TV1/Close Up story on extreme weather

Discussion of weather and climate outside of NZ's waters. Australian weather, tropical cyclones and USA storm chasing feature here.
tich

Supervolcano TV1/Close Up story on extreme weather

Unread post by tich »

Great programme, but I would've much rather seen it on the big screen. (but then it's BBC, not Hollywood, and consequently more realistic) Just at the end it showed a satellite glimpse at how such a massive eruption would affect the world's climate - even shots of SE Australia freezing and then brief video shots of ice/snow storms. Sure puts much of our current weather into perspective.
Last edited by tich on Tue 24/01/2006 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Flutterbye
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Flutterbye »

What a horrible thought - I love snow but I would hate to be surrounded by it all year round!!

Cheers
Lyn

If you saw a heatwave - would you wave back =;
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I watched it for about an hour but then got bored with it, eyelids beocming heavy and nearly dozing off, so and went outside and filled up my green recycle bin with recyclables for tommorrow's rubbish day.
After that I made a cup of tea and then prepared my lunch for tomorrow. I thought I would have Barkers lovely Wild Berry friut spread in my sandwiches.
Billy Connely has just finished. Why dosen't he get a haircut?

JohnGaul
NZTS
Flutterbye
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Billy Connelly wouldn't look the part if he had a haircut. Just how good is that Barkers Wild Berry fruit spread? Never heard of it but I'm willing to give it a go. :D
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Flutterbye wrote:Just how good is that Barkers Wild Berry fruit spread? Never heard of it but I'm willing to give it a go. :D
It's quite nice, not overpowerfully sweet and a good choice for a sandwich when a disaster film/doco is being shown on the telly :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Flutterbye wrote:Billy Connelly wouldn't look the part if he had a haircut.

That's what I thought, and now I'm his age, I look much better with a Number2, and I am a bit of a comedian. ...well so some people reckon :roll:

JohnGaul
NZTS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes another ok show but once again too Americanised they are all about booms and bangs which is great but lets look into more real true depth aye i mean to say that 4 wheel drive wouldn't have driven that fast to get in front of that dust cloud for that long. :lol:
Did anyone see that thing about unusally seasonable weather on Close Up tonight I missed it?.
Cheers
Jason.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

You guys stop watching so much TV and watch that system that's about to drown us ok? :roll:
tich

Unread post by tich »

I too watched that Close Up story. Amongst the world weather events mentioned (in print on the screen), there was one that sounded implausible - first snowfall on record in Somalia. :o :? Somalia! A desert country that straddles the equator. With mountains I don't think reach any higher than about 2000m.
I did a google search and found out that the supposed snowfall took place on June 1 last year in the north of Somalia (Northern Hemisphere at beginning of NH summer), and that it was most likely a heavy dump of hail. Neighbouring Ethiopia has recorded snow on occasion, but it has mountains up to 4500m high.