Pics from Cantab (not great quality)

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Thunder

Pics from Cantab (not great quality)

Unread post by Thunder »

I thought I'd put up a few pics for something to do. These were all taken on a GSmart LCD2 digital camera which is only 2 megapixel so images are of poor quality, except one which is a scanned photo of a Cb. The digital camera is just point and shoot and no features so once again images arn't great, here we go!

Cu clouds developing over Banks Peninsula prior to thunderstorm on 26 12 02.

Virga before thunderstorm, NE blowing at time of photo just before S hit (Chch) 26 12 02.

Dark clouds building overhead before Ts, Southshore Chch, Cb in background of photo above alps, 26 12 02.

Dark clouds building overhead before Ts, virga descending from base of cloud in middel lower half of photo. I actually thought this was some sort of funnel at first, that got the heart thumping but only virga I think.
26 12 02.

Photo after the thunderstorm, there was no point in taking photos during the Ts as all that could be seen was a blacky grey sky with no cloud detail at all, only before and after the storm was there anything remotely interesting to photograph. 26 12 02.

This is a photo taken with a bigger film type camera that did have features like ISO rating, apature etc hence quality is better, I then scanned it to get it on the computer but scanner has gone back to my Dads work so I can't get my other (awsome might I add) Cb photos up here to show you people.
Anyway, this is a Cb that I photographed late last year in early November. I remeber John Gaul (yes you John) said on that particular day that you saw a big Cb out to the east or south "SE?" of Chch that looked supercellish, well this is the second Cb that followed that first larger as you described it "supercellish" Cb. Lyttelton Harbour entrance is slightly to the right of the middel of the photo and you then hook a right to enter the harbour. The hill with the houses on it is Scarlbourgh (man, I don't know how to spell that properly! or did I get it right?).

Enjoy!

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

nice photos...
Last edited by Manukau heads obs on Fri 12/09/2003 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Well done on getting the pics up Aaron.

Hope to see more soon. The 2 megapixel camera will do the job okay.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Hi Aaron,
Good to see you today. A great succesfull NZTS meet with lots decided on what and where the NZTS is heading. A slide evening at Bob Crowder's should something to look forward to.
On looking at your photos again here, they seem to be not bad and that little camera is of a handy size to keep in your pocket.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Hey Brian, you edited your statement, I know what you said (hehe) We get good Cb's when they come! Unfortunately not that often.

Hi John
Yeah a good NZTS meet, whenever Bob is ready to have a slides evening post a message and I'll give you a call, can't wait!

Steven, more photos are here, look below all!

Cb just when going into the beginning of winter this year 03, electrically dead but there would of been small hail and rain associated with it. If I remember correctly this would of been about 6km high as discussion on the forum at the time gave me this figure. Photo taken from Southshore

Cumulus cloud along canterbury plains with Chch city in foreground, this is only recent, late August or early September this year (03). There was two Cb's on this day to but the photos I took of them came out bad, they were electrically dead and I remember that day John you said you didn't pursue them because of that. Photo taken from Southshore

Here is the big Cb that went over Oxford about a week and a half or two ago, there were about two other Cb's this day. You might remeber hail being reported in Oxford on TV one weather not long back, well this is the Cb that did it, lightning also must of gone off a few times to due to John and me getting sferics on the radio. Chch city can be seen in lower half of photo, little tiny buildings. Photo taken from Southshore

Big Cb near Nelson, big anvil anyway (possibly over Richmond or Wakefeild (small towns near Nelson)), the body of water in the photo is Tasman bay. This was either January 1999 or 2000. I could hear thunder from where I took the photo which is a hill above Kaiteriteri so lightning and possibly hail can be assumed to have been associated with this cloud. A few of you guys have seen this pic before from a link I put up on the old NZ weather foum but that page doesn't exist anymore so I thought I'd put it up here again. Photo taken with an automatic camera (two photos fudged together) hence quality isn't great.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Hi Aaron,

Those are great photos. I'd forgotten I took this picture looking West from Templeton on the 4th of the same Cb that passed over Oxford. Possibly taken a bit earlier than your photo.

Cheers,
Steven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Hi Steven Graham ( I always use full name as there are two Stevens on this forum!)

That's a diferent perspective on things, cool! So I guess that must be the anvil. If I understand correctly do you have some type of ligthning detecting thing there in Templeton, if so did you get anything that day? I remember someone mentioning they had one here in Chch a while back on this forum, they put up a little graph showing lightning strikes or something, was that you Steven Graham?

Also, might I add that those 4 photos I put on are from a film type camera hence quality is better (except the Nelson Cb, although it was from a film type camera it was automatic and the two photos being put together like that makes it not look great either). I went to my Dads work and got them scanned so I could get them up here so there you have it.

Convectivly yours
Aaron Wilkinson
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Hi Aaron,

Looking at the map, Templeton is very close to due West from Southshore which is (at a guess) over the trees on the left of your photo. It was interesting to see it from about 23km further away and with a clear horizon !

I built a simple lightning counter and had it running earlier this year (after all the local TS :( ) but I've been using the power supply for something else since then. I've been meaning to get another PSU and set it up again, add pulse width detection to the software, build a better one, etc, etc !

I'll try to get something going again soon.

Cheers
Steven
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The upper air over the South island today is not that stable, if it were a warmer time of year there would be inland thunderstorms. But I think mid September is lacking the thermal lift. However, it would'nt suprise me if an isolated cb did manage to pop up somehwere in Otago or Canterbury this afternoon.

Showery in Ak today, and quite overcaste. Not a nice day.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Yup, several of them popping up Steven, but not quite lasting the full distance. Yet.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Correct Steven,the sun came out after lunch and the temperature rose to around 20 degrees.Some very healthy clouds around here at the moment,but apart from a few big drops of rain no drama as yet.
Dark to the southwest,time to hop in the car I think.

Cheers.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

View from my backyard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

The upper air over the South island today is not that stable, if it were a warmer time of year there would be inland thunderstorms. However, it would'nt suprise me if an isolated cb did manage to pop up somehwere in Otago or Canterbury this afternoon.

Yes Steven, they did. See my new posting

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Cheers Steven (about the lightning counter thing)

Good photo Dean, actually if I remeber correctly this would be from your video camera.....cool!

Aaron Wilkinson