Unstable in Christchurch

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

We had showers in Amberley from about 11am onwards, plenty of sferics on the radio but no thunder heard. Lots of very big CB anvils visible over the ranges in between the showers, and some very black clouds. The showers were all blowing from the west across to the coast. Winds pretty strong at times, 25-30 knots, and cold, around 11 degrees most of the afternoon. Definitely westerly here rather than northwest.

Driving into Christchurch around 5pm the roads were wet around Amberley, damp around Woodend, and dry from there into the city. Driving back arounf 10pm there were plenty of in-cloud lightning flashes visible to the north and northwest.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Interesting comments about Sunday's storm from Tony T and Steven about NW thunder. As I said on another topic, the late Pat Brown from Colgate observed lightning in a NW Arch cloud.
To me, I thought Sunday's thunderstorm/hail was a result of a bit of a convergence 'twixt the westerly and the slight onshore mostly southerly caused by that little low of 988hPa at noon just off the coast of Amberley (for you Tony). The sfrerics/lightning I gathered from that storm was only from the thunderstorm that drifted east and nothing else even though there was a line of convergence cloud right down there to off the coast of North Otago which resulted in good rain/hailfalls., one as photoed by Deano.
Isnt mesoscale meteorology fun.

I love it. :) It can be one thing somewhere and somewhere else nothing!
I only got a few drops, large ones though from where I was, and I was told that places like Eastgate had a deluge.

JohnGaul
NZTS

Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Hey Dean

If I were to get a video camera I'd get this, so cool! It's RRP is $7,999 but is selling cheaper at digitalvideocameras.co.nz for $7,299, BUT! there is exactly the same camera on trademe.co.nz brand new with a buy now price of $ 4,900!!! But still, 4,900 bucks is quite a bit but I think it would be awsome! What is the video camera you use (in terms of its model number as you've allready stated it's sony)?

Hi Steven
As for digital photo type cameras having a video recording function on them, hmmm?? oh well, next time a Cg storm goes by you see how it works as you say, it would be great to here how it works!

Tonight (16th) I saw lightning on the alps but it was to sparse to bother trying to capture it on film (photograping it) from where I was looking, it wasn't greatly bright either but none the less there was lightning (all sheet).

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
tich

Unread post by tich »

The skies have been looking rather unstable over Chch again this afternoon, though not as much as yesterday. I noticed a few insignificant spits in the central city in early afternoon, plus shower cloud to the northwest, but nothing more. The clouds have a somewhat 'wintry' look about them, probably indicating a colder airmass, as opposed to the northwest arch of a warm northwesterly. It felt summery this morning, but it's noticeably cooler this afternoon.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

The same here too it was mild this morning and most of the PM but now it looks like winter with the rain and thunder now
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

The current sterephonics sound great on my AM Stereo radio too :)