Great Melbourne holiday weather

Discussion of weather and climate outside of NZ's waters. Australian weather, tropical cyclones and USA storm chasing feature here.
ricky

Great Melbourne holiday weather

Unread post by ricky »

Just back from a weeks holiday in Melbourne. First few days were very pleasant, around 24C with a SW breeze, each day started with Sc which burned off pretty quickly then the sea breeze picked up. For the end of the week we had very hot strong NE winds, DP ~ 15C temp ~36C ! could see some distant Cbs over the mountains..
Saturday was the best though with a similar hot start but a trough moving in :) saw good signs of instability from scattered highish cloud bases in the morning, lots of small towers shooting up through much cooler upper air. Went back to sleep for a while... had been a late night lol, heading out after midday I could see a huge Cb buiding to the NW with very dense precipitation, still a fairly high cloud base so I dont think the DP had risen much at all. I was heading out to a friends so rushed to the train station trying to stay ahead of the rain.. just made it! Storm hit with the deafening crack of a lightning strike to one the city buildings nearby :) saw several close cgs then a deluge followed by 1cm hail on the platform roof covered any sounds of thunder. Lasted around 10 minutes, just in time for the train to arrive.. A little out of the city the train came to a stop as did the whole network due to a signals failure from the storm. There was a lot of localised flooding and rolling thunder went on for the whole afternoon as several more Cbs crossed!
Perfect end to a great holiday!! :D
C-Nimbus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by C-Nimbus »

Any piccies there Ricky?

I had some friends live in melbourne for a while and they commented on the amazing lightning displays over there. I for one am planning a storm chase trip to the Northern territory soon to witness the 'daily' thunderstorms and possible super cells that they get there.

Buggar all happening in auckland thats for sure!!!

can someone remind me what lightning looks like again, have kinda forgot :?
Aussie2005

Unread post by Aussie2005 »

Ricky glad you enjoyed the Melbourne weather !
The storm was great even the short time I was caught out in it. As a update to what I mentioned in my blog on Saturday I ended up recording 65.7 mm for the 24hrs. Hard to descibe my first impressions when I came over the hill to see it approaching, a huge black / purple swirling mass of clouds that just felt like it was going to be a significant event.
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

Unfortunately no great pics... heres the underside of the brewing Cb just before I ran into town..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saaaab

Unread post by saaaab »

The Melbourne weather in February was much colder and cloudier than normal. The constant run of days with **** covering the sky every morning, coupled with low overnight temps of 10-15c is unusual in summer, as is the constant south westerlies and 22c days that prevailed. The muck would hang around until at least noon, and by late afternoon the wind was cold and you had to wear a jumper or light jacket to be comfortable. A very crappy and boring February indeed. You have experienced much colder than normal, and much lamer than normal weather. 25 mornings of Stratocu, 22c days and cold evenings/mornings.
When cold fronts come you will cry; I wish there was a blocking high, cold fronts bring miserable cold and drizzle, which makes me sniffle.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

saaaab wrote:The Melbourne weather in February was much colder and cloudier than normal. The constant run of days with **** covering the sky every morning, coupled with low overnight temps of 10-15c is unusual in summer, as is the constant south westerlies and 22c days that prevailed. The muck would hang around until at least noon, and by late afternoon the wind was cold and you had to wear a jumper or light jacket to be comfortable. A very crappy and boring February indeed. You have experienced much colder than normal, and much lamer than normal weather. 25 mornings of Stratocu, 22c days and cold evenings/mornings.
If you're going to moan, how about getting your facts right? There were 238 hrs of sunshine (8.5/day) at the Melbourne Aero site - above both its recent average of 7.4/day and the longterm average of 7.5/day at an earlier site. It's true that max. temps averaging "only" around 25.3 were 0.8 below normal, but the summer in Vic. & Melbourne was warmer than average.
Incidentally, that 238 is also higher than the average for any NZ site.
Why don't you move to a warmer part of Australia, instead of making demands your city's climate can't meet?
saaaab

Unread post by saaaab »

I live 60km South east of the Melbourne airport, and I tell you there wasn't 8.5 hours of sun per day at my home. It seems that central melbourne had less of that morning crud than my area.
When cold fronts come you will cry; I wish there was a blocking high, cold fronts bring miserable cold and drizzle, which makes me sniffle.
Aussie2005

Unread post by Aussie2005 »

It would seem Saaaab that we live in roughly the same area of Melbourne. I do not record hours of sunshine so will not debate that statistic but the stats I posted in the Blog section would even be more relevant than when I posted there not knowing your location. Due to the effects of the topography of the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne, ie the influence of the Dandeongs and prevailing winds we should expect more cloud as we on average have up to about 150mm more rain per year than the CBD. So there is nothing unusual if we do not have as much sunshine as other areas of the metro area ie the Melbourne airport.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Ićd have Melbourne weather any day over ours :)