New Station on Waiheke Island

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
ricky

New Station on Waiheke Island

Unread post by ricky »

There is a new weather station page online at http://waihekeweather.net/Peninsula/peninsula.htm
This is in a good high exposed location to the North of the island so should be good to see winds a bit more out in the gulf.. may get some action over the next couple of days :)
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Station on Waiheke Island

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

ricky wrote:There is a new weather station page online at http://waihekeweather.net/Peninsula/peninsula.htm
This is in a good high exposed location to the North of the island so should be good to see winds a bit more out in the gulf.. may get some action over the next couple of days :)
That's great to see, and you can never have enough weather stations, but I hope they can make the time to sort out the webpage into something more user friendly.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

with the ability to create web pages from custom tags, you can customise it to look any way you like
what is shown there is the stock production from default settings

you could even have it look like a freewx web site (which does not have any graph though (unless you use some other method)

there are also customised graphs and auto scale graphs in the weather display sofware...the amount of customisation has really grown now over the last year...you can even customise 3 of the main screens in the program and move and resize objects on the screen and add more data tags, other images, other graphs, etc etc
powerfull and very customisable, and enjoyed by 1000's around the globe 8) :D
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

Yes, I think he will be creating a new page, probably with a combination of stations from the island, that is just the 'out of the box' upload
hmm must get to doing a new page here sometime too... it's on that list somewhere.. :)
Gary Roberts

Manukau heads observer wrote:with the ability to create web pages from custom tags, you can customise it to look any way you like
what is shown there is the stock production from default settings

you could even have it look like a freewx web site (which does not have any graph though (unless you use some other method)

there are also customised graphs and auto scale graphs in the weather display sofware...the amount of customisation has really grown now over the last year...you can even customise 3 of the main screens in the program and move and resize objects on the screen and add more data tags, other images, other graphs, etc etc
powerfull and very customisable, and enjoyed by 1000's around the globe 8) :D
I didn't ask if they could...I said I hoped that they would. But I'm glad to see a station active, even if the webpage isn't well laid out...it's better than nothing, and time is precious. If the owner gets the opportunity to tidy it up, then the asset becomes even more valuable.
Manukau heads obs

its all horses for courses gary, and what you are used to
you have made it obvious you dont like it, and thats OK, you are entitled to your opinion

but others dont mind it as it gets the needed details across quickly and easily

i am certainly not complaining about it
Gary Roberts

Manukau heads observer wrote:its all horses for courses gary, and what you are used to
you have made it obvious you dont like it, and thats OK, you are entitled to your opinion
Sure am.
...it gets the needed details across quickly and easily
Not as far as I'm concerned. Too much garish clutter. Very distracting.
i am certainly not complaining about it
That's because you're selling it. For profit. A slight conflict of interest.
charlesg

Unread post by charlesg »

Thanks for all your support on this project.

We are currently trying to get a WiFi link from our home in Onetangi to the top of Trig Hill to shift the Onetangi station up there. Our valley position has no real chance of getting accurate or even meaningful wind information.

We are however constantly thwarted by the lack of broadband on much of the island. Telecom have only just extended ADSL to Peninsula Estate which is how we have managed to get the station on at last. We are thinking of putting up a webcam on the Peninsula Estate site. The other factor is that we have more than our fair share of power cuts here (at least one a fortnight) so I think some UPS' will be next on the buy list.

Any other ideas or suggestions welcome

Charles
Manukau heads obs

Gary, why not support home grown stuff, made in NZ stuff?
why are you always seem to be against me so much?
Keep up the good work there Charles!
charlesg

Thanks Brian,

I am not entirely sure what "Tidy it up" is meant to mean. I am hoping someone can point me at the URL of Gary's "Tidy" weather station as a shining example.. ;)

Charles
Gary Roberts

Manukau heads observer wrote:Gary, why not support home grown stuff, made in NZ stuff?
I don't care where it comes from if it's the best solution. So far the best solution(s) aren't "home grown".

why are you always seem to be against me so much?
I guess it's time to realise that not everything is about you, Brian.
Gary Roberts

charlesg wrote:Thanks Brian,

I am not entirely sure what "Tidy it up" is meant to mean. I am hoping someone can point me at the URL of Gary's "Tidy" weather station as a shining example.. ;)

Charles
I mean the default template with Brian's software isn't ideal. To be fair, few applications ship with a decent default anything. Hav a look around online and you'll find hundreds of weather sites, some of which feature excellent design. If you have time (as I stated), you could try to emulate those.

My own pages are as cruddy as sin, because, like Brian, I'm not a web designer, and paying a professional to sort them out is a very low priority.

Why some people here bend over backwards in an attempt to construe every comment or suggestion as a personal insult is mystifying. Why does everything have to be a popularity contest? :roll:
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Gary said,
That's because you're selling it. For profit. A slight conflict of interest
Might be a conflict of interest in Omarama but it's certainly not in the real world.
Gary Roberts

spwill wrote:Gary said,
That's because you're selling it. For profit. A slight conflict of interest
Might be a conflict of interest in Omarama but it's certainly not in the real world.
I don't use this forum - and every other weather forum online - to try to sell my company's products. Would you like me to?

Thought not.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I don't use this forum - and every other weather forum online - to try to sell my company's products. Would you like me to?
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

If you do have weather products for sale you would be silly not to do some promotion through a forum like this one for obvious reasons.
;)
charlesg

The last word.

I am happy with the way it looks, and I built it for me!!!!!!

Charles :twisted:
Manukau heads obs

there are some very good web page templates that come with the weather display software
check out all these weather pages where they have modified the "carterlake" template
http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index. ... 054.0.html

and here is a good link to sites around the world using the weather display software, some using customised web pages, some using the default web pages, some using the real time web page (weather display live)
http://wdworldmap.com/

to give some examples

there are a few stations to keep a track of the weather conditions in the tornado states, Spwil and NZstorm (so to get used to what conditions they get during the day etc before we go over there maybe?) :)

p.s. Gary, what are all the weather forums you say that i advertise by posting in all over the place?
Chainlink

Unread post by Chainlink »

Ill add my 2 cents worth, of all the Wx sites Ive seen, I'll tip my hat towards Gary in Omarama, it loads fast, easy on the eye, gives you the info you (I) need, its something I'll be trying to emnulate on my Wx site http://www.ourpage.co.nz/mws in a few weeks time.

A wish list would be to have a webcam on that site, Garys 1st floor would have a nice view of the Benmore Range, that would lend well to a Wxpic.

Gary, can you email me sometime please.
Manukau heads obs

Hi
with weather display sofware, you could create a web site exactly like that one, using the custom web page ability.
its completly up to the individual person and there are 100's of custom tags to show what data you want, and lots of different graphs to choose from to show the graph data, and also differnet ways of showing the web cam (animated gif, .wmv movie file, or live streaming), just for a FYI :D

what weather station do you have chain link?
edit, i see its a la Crosse 3600
weather display is compatible with that station,without the need to run heavy weather (which uses alot of CPU), but it does come with the heavy weather software, and you can get your data uploaded to a web site with that

also, the 3600 has a nice touch screen console, and does give solar data, but you will find the actual weather sensors to be of low quality, but you can keep maitaining the windspeed sensor yourself so that it does not sieze up. Also the slow update rate will be a bit dispointing, especialy if you are really intereseted in windspeed
but thats just my thoughts
shame you did not get a Davis VP , but yes they cost alot through a nz retailer
charlesg

Chainlink wrote:Ill add my 2 cents worth, of all the Wx sites Ive seen, I'll tip my hat towards Gary in Omarama, it loads fast, easy on the eye, gives you the info you (I) need,
Text, that is so 70's