West Coast/Nelson Thunderstorms - 16th September 2003

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

West Coast/Nelson Thunderstorms - 16th September 2003

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Thunderstorms with hail struck the West Coast and Nelson regions yesterday. Here are reports I received regarding these storms.
Unfortunately being the media, the word 'mini' was used to describe a tornado near Westport

Fierce Thunderstorms Cut Power
16 September 2003

A lightning strike cut power to Motueka at the height of a fierce early-morning storm that swept over the Nelson region today.

Jagged hailstones 1cm in diameter fell in the Broadgreen area of Stoke, and a tree came down at Foxhill, but little other damage was reported.

Network Tasman network manager Murray Hendrickson said power was cut to the Motueka district about 4.20am.

Power was out in the town for a short time, but some residents in Lower and Upper Moutere were still without electricity later this morning.

Linesmen were working on fixing a fault caused by the lightning, Mr Hendrickson said.

Nelson weather forecaster John Mathieson said the thunderstorm hit at 4.45am.

The Broadgreen hailstorm about 15 minutes later lasted only a few seconds, he said. Despite some heavy showers, only 8mm of rain fell at the Stoke measuring site in the 12 hours to 6am today.

Senior Constable Peter Carmody of Wakefield police said part of the road at Foxhill was blocked for a short time after a tree came down. Rocks had to be cleared from roads in other areas.

"Considering the weather, we got away lightly."

------------------------------------------------

Giant Hail and Mini Tornadoes hit West Coast
17 September 2003

Giant hailstones, mini tornados and thunder storms rained down on the West Coast yesterday.

Atarau's Arthur Gempton was struck in the head by the large hailstone while feeding cattle last evening.

"It was the worst hailstorm I've ever seen... the one that hit me was starry-shaped, and measured 65mm by 60mm and was 30mm thick.

"The cattle took off for the bush and I followed them quickly."

Mr Gempton expected to find damage to his property, but said everything else seemed to escape unscathed.

In Westport, a tornado damaged Patterson Park racecourse yesterday morning, ripping the roof off a stable block and dumping iron more than 300m away.

"It must have been amazing, thank God no one was around," Westport Trotting Club president Trevor Craddock said.

There were also reports of a small tornado in Runanga, but no damage was reported.

Elsewhere on the West Coast, heavy thunder and lightning storms have been a regular occurrence over the past couple of days as the region gets buffeted by strong westerly winds.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

What papers did these reports come from John?

About a day or two ago I thought, "If I've got spear time on my hands and thunderstorms look likely on the west coast and I've got my humvee, I'll be going there!"

And no doubt I'll do just that! And with this new report of a tornado on the west coast it makes me want to go there more in future when things look good. My freind tolled me once how he was on the west coast for a holiday once and it was about midnight, they were staying near the beach and he decided to go out as he heard some thunder. He said he saw constant CG's (although he didn't know what they were, I knew from what he was telling me) and forked lightning rippiling throught the clouds just out to sea. Were he was it was calm he said, man what a great photographing opertunity that would've been!

And I agree John, yes the media do need to be educated on the subject of "MINI" tornadoes! of which I have learn't not to call them. Possibly though if the general public saw it as being a funnel cloud they might not totally understand it better than what the word MINI tornado describes.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson