Cyclone Wati

Discussion of weather and climate outside of NZ's waters. Australian weather, tropical cyclones and USA storm chasing feature here.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Just what is supposed to be better about "his" side of the Waimak? Just curious!
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

RWood wrote:Just what is supposed to be better about "his" side of the Waimak? Just curious!
Becasue he lives there :roll:
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
tich

Unread post by tich »

I heard noises on the radio just after 11pm last night that sounded very much like sferics. Strange, the weather outside was just cloudy with the odd light drizzly shower. :? I don't think there was any thunderstorm activity anywhere near Canterbury. (radar shots this morning showed nothing more than green bits over the area overnight)
Paul Mallinson
Meteorologist (Retired)

Unread post by Paul Mallinson »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:
RWood wrote:You'll have to wait till Thursday...also a pity about the lack of cricket at Napier
Feels like mid-winter here Rwood.. southerly/SE continues to gust strongly tonight with drizzly rain.

Did any severe thunderstorms eventuate in the upper North today?

Looks like a deepening low is on the horizon.. hopefully some good NW'ly rain on the way :)
No there don't appear to have been. There wasn't any lightning, but there were some very intense echoes on the radar over Waikato in the afternoon. I see some Waikato Regional Council rain gauges recorded several 10-12mm/hr and one or two in Bay of Plenty too. I note the wind convergence and thus the location of the heaviest convection did work out quite well.

I think a number of things limited the rainfall intensities.

1. There was a warm nose on the midday Whenuapai sounding at about 18,000ft and this limited the depth of convection (cloud top temp to about -9C).

2. The surface low moved across the upper North Island further north than expected - over Northland rather than northern Auckland. This I think lead to faster storm motions over the threat area than forecast and so limited the accumulations in any one spot.

You may recall that despite the chart having a label of Moderate Risk of Severe Thunderstorms, there was mention that their may be no lightning but very heavy showers. The aim of the threat chart in the final analysis (and on this aprticular day) is to detect when very heavy localised rainfall occurs which could lead to flash-flooding. Whether there is any lightning is really a side issue. This is the reason why we talk about 'Thunderstorms or Severe Convection'

Cheers,

Paul
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

i did see some reasonably looking (but ragged edged) CBish looking clouds down the north waikato this afternoon that would have given someone a good dollop of rain....
HI paul
i could see those showers from here alright
8)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Slight improvement in the capital today.. the sun even made an appearance!
Temps been hovering around 13-14c all day with a biting southerly.. can't understand how so many people can live here lol

Looks nice and warm for Auckland and Waikato today..

Chances of thunder this Friday for northwestern NI districts :)
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

it was 26oc in waiuku/auckland today wtih a low,65% (for here) humidity, and sun all day
very nice day!
Last edited by Manukau heads obs on Wed 29/03/2006 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:
RWood wrote:You'll have to wait till Thursday...also a pity about the lack of cricket at Napier
Feels like mid-winter here Rwood.. southerly/SE continues to gust strongly tonight with drizzly rain.
Foggy, you picked a couple of nasty days in what I'd call the worst spell of we
ather here for 12-18 months (dating back to Tuesday 21st with only Sunday and Monday decent). I'm not too surprised as in statistical terms we were way overdue for it.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:Slight improvement in the capital today.. the sun even made an appearance!
Temps been hovering around 13-14c all day with a biting southerly.. can't understand how so many people can live here lol

Looks nice and warm for Auckland and Waikato today..

Chances of thunder this Friday for northwestern NI districts :)
..see also my other posting. You Hamiltonians are a bit soft... ;) :lol:
I can honestly say though Hamilton's climate has its good points I wouldn't swap it for ours. Wind is not that important to me, and we beat Hamilton for sunshine. If it comes to war stories, last June I flew up to stay with relatives there...had to divert to Tauranga because of fog :x :x - several hours lost. The whole weekend stayed overcast and clammy, though the Monday finally saw the sun and was quite pleasant.

For myself I wish more people would leave Wellington - to much stress on the roading systems....