When you dont have your camera

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Angel
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

When you dont have your camera

Unread post by Angel »

... Something always interesting is happening.

Nice little story for you all..
This morning I was working with mum up here in Kerikeri. Her work (boarding kennels) backs onto the kaikohe/ohaewai area.
Anyway, cut a long story short, Was getting out of the car, saw these mint as black clouds over the back of the farm, went up the paddock to have a look, and what should be going on but massive rotation, and rather pronounced little hooks coming out of the clouds. They would come down, touch the ground for a second and fade away again. It was really cool cuz I didnt have my camera and stuff like that always happens when I dont have my camera GRR lol...
So yea, BOI region is getting some rather interesting clouds today, I've loaded my film and i'm going for a drive as soon as I can get out of my driveway (stupid roadworks)

Alex
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

good stuff!
rickys tracker is showing lots of activity over the bay of islands area now!
http://www.portunus.net.nz/weather/StormVue.html
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

I like it! :D

Best be looking for mine too..!
C-Nimbus

Unread post by C-Nimbus »

thats awesome angel,
typical tho when you dont have a camera.

i remember living in the best region in the whole country (waikato if you were left guessing!) and i saw about 4 or 5 funnels that i never got on camera too, so i know how it feels.

better luck for later tho, as foggy and nzstorm have suggested there could be some more instability and with the likely wind shear mid atmosphere then funnels/tornadoes could be on the cards
Gary Roberts

Re: When you dont have your camera

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Angel wrote:... Something always interesting is happening.

Alex
I know that feeling...a couple of months ago I was driving along the Lake Ohau highway when I saw a big dirt tornado. A cocky had plowed up the tussock land ready to irrigate for dairy, and as usual most of the soil was disappearing with the wind ("Plenty more where that came from!"), but this time there was an excellent funnel cloud, around 50-100' high, and up to 6-10' or so across at the base. If I'd had my video camera I'd have stood in it's path to get a 'this-is-what-it-looks-like-when-some-dumbass-lets-a-dirt-tornado-hit-him' shot. But alas I didn't have the camera with me, so I just stood and watched it with a few other motorists who'd pulled over to gawk. :evil:
Angel

Unread post by Angel »

Well murphy's law, nothing happened while I was out with the camera!!! hahaha

We had a massive storm with lots of loverly thunder and lightening of different colours and shapes. Couldnt take many pics in it of course - my camera isnt waterproof.
Will keep you lot updated on the situation up here tho. Looks to be the same, if not worse tomorrow.
Andrew Massie

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

It's quite funny, in todays modern society you can get cameras everywhere! I've got my essential video camera which I can take poor quality stills off, i've got my 4Mp digital camera, but I keep forgetting my work cell and private cell both have cameras! And my webcam is portable too! I don't have any excuses, really!
My missed chance was a couple of years ago when a truck had its trailer turn over on the corner of QE2 drive here in Chch. Not a huge deal, but it was one of the Mainfreight trucks, with the nice motivational bits of advice on the back of the overturned trailer..... wait for it ...

"Mistakes are learning experiences"!!!!!

I was gutted, NO CAMERA! #-o :roll: ](*,) :evil: :oops: :-#
Angel

Unread post by Angel »

11.19pm... thunder every 30 seconds.
Gonna be a long night methinks.. I knew I should have napped this afternoon hehehe..
kaimaikid

Unread post by kaimaikid »

Where abouts are you Angel :?:
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

i think from other posts she in in the Bay of islands?
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Angel

Unread post by Angel »

Yup, Kerikeri for me :D
squid

Unread post by squid »

so typicall that things like that happen when you dont have your camera i know how you feel angel i have seen similar things in the past and no camera dolp!!!