Electrical Storms

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Cameo1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Electrical Storms

Unread post by Cameo1 »

My interest lies in the formation of severe thunderstorms over the Auckland/Northland region. What was significant about these two events that stood out in my mind? What caused them? Will they happen again? What was the weather forcast for those two separate days?

What was interesting about these 2 events was that there was no rain(in my vacinity anyway). We only experienced light annoying drizzle, with no wind. The only visible aspects of the storms were the vivid mile high bolts of multichanneled lightning, and the thunder. Were these El Nino events, and am I the only one who remembers them? :?

Squalls, thunderstorms and tornadoes in northern districts
31 October - 4 November 2001

An active squall line brought a brief but intense period of gale force winds to many northern regions overnight 31 October - 1 November causing much damage, particularly in Auckland. Here the Fire Service was called out to emergencies in North Shore, Grey Lynn, Mission Bay, Onehunga and Mangere. A number of houses lost roofs and had windows smashed by winds estimated at 150 km/hr. Large trees were also tore down.
Damage and power failures were reported in Rotorua and Tauranga as the storm headed south early on the 1st.
The squally winds, which were accompanied by intense lightning, followed an unusually warm day in Auckland on 31 October - the high of 26°C was a record for Auckland in October.
On 3 November more thunderstorms affected northern New Zealand. A tornado spawned from one of these thunderstorms did significant damage in the Awakeri to Thornton area, just west of Whakatane, Bay of Plenty.
The tornado struck just before noon and left a trail of damage from Awakeri towards the sea. Buildings in the path of the twister were either partly damaged (eg, roofs lifted, windows broken) or, in some cases, completely demolished. One man had a lucky escape after running from his 10m long shed just seconds before it was ripped away. He said the tornado sounded "like a hundred lions roaring".
A large number of trees were uprooted and had limbs torn from them. A showpiece rose garden was decimated.
Power was cut to thousands of homes in the Whakatane area after debris was blown across lines and power poles were downed.
Excellent video footage of the tornado was shown on TV1 evening news on 4 November.
Another tornado was reported at Ohaupo, just south of Hamilton, Waikato on 3 November.
The next day (4 November), at least 4 funnel-clouds were observed in the vicinity of the previous day's tornado, causing concern for those performing clean-up operations.
Also on 4 November, a severe hailstorm struck Hamilton in the afternoon, leaving pebble-sized hail piled-up several inches on the ground. Torrential rain also flooded properties.
Meanwhile, further south, southerly gales in Cook Strait and 8m waves led to the cancellation of Lynx fast-ferry sailings.
Further south cold southerlies brought snow on the South Island high country as low as 700m. Temperatures reached only 6°C at Twizel and 10°C at Ashburton.

2003 20-21 September. Heavy rain and thunderstorms on West Coast, also northern and western districts of North Island. Severe thunderstorms bring a spectacular lightning show in Northland, Auckland, Waikato and Coromandel Peninsula (overnight 20th-21st) resulting in power cuts, notably north of Whangarei after trees are blown onto lines. On 21st, more heavy thunder and hailstorms in northern districts with flash floods, notably in afternoon in South Auckland, and in Kihikihi (south of Te Awamutu) where a ?snow-like? blanketing of hail is reported. Fresh dusting of snow in Canterbury above about 700m.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Yes I remembered the 31st October 2001 It just Rained the whole day and looked like another medocre summer coming which it was an ordinary summer....not hot
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

The wet unsettled conditions of Oct 2001-Feb 2002 relieved a severe drought situation over a sizeable portion of NZ. The 12 months to Sept 2001 were exceptionally dry and sunny in many parts, especially Wellington, Nelson and Marlborough, and native plants/bush were under huge stress. Places like exposed Somes Island had almost reached a point of irreversible damage. During the wet period my son-in-law was tramping in Nelson, where he heard a bunch of foreign visitors moaning about the weather - "we thought it was supposed to be sunny here". Given the previous 12 months, even Nelson couldn't keep delivering much longer. At about mid-September I would have been prepared to lay bets that a cloudy wet run of months was very likely to turn up. Just as well it did, however much it irritated some people. :)
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Why dont you do some research on it Cameo and report back to us? There are plenty of resources on the internet for weather maps, satpix, model data, soundings etc.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Ahhh SPRING! :twisted: :D

I didn't have much of an interest in the weather during 2001 so can't comment.
Made an NZWP sounding gif though, shown here
http://weather.uwyo.edu/cgi-bin/soundin ... STNM=93112
Too bad it splits up :?

Vividly remember Sep 21 '03 event though :P My birthday even :D

Strong beautiful CG's to the north around midnight.. prior we had some very beefy showers trying to watch the Warriors' entry into the grand finals so we had rain fade :evil:
Dug up some old threads here.. looks like GraemeWi only took the lightning ones :P
http://www.weatherforum.org.nz/forum/vi ... .php?t=173
http://www.weatherforum.org.nz/forum/vi ... .php?t=178
http://www.weatherforum.org.nz/forum/vi ... .php?t=179
Sounding GIF: http://weather.uwyo.edu/cgi-bin/soundin ... STNM=93112
I like the look of that one :D
What was significant about these two events that stood out in my mind?
They were severe... lots of light! :)
What caused them?
Vast areas of cold pools aloft and very steep lapse rates along the boundary flows. It's spring of course.. upper-air is at it's coolest... evapotranspiration increasing after winter.. ground heating becomes comparable to a March strength (to put it in context)..
And once these rain and shower bands depart the Southern Oceans S of Australia and head NE into the warmer waters of the Tasman they gain enormous strength with the added sub-tropical surface moisture infeeding the system. Re: El Nino, i think the the effects are far more pronounced in the Autumn months.. I doubt it would have much effect up here during Spring.
Will they happen again?
Yes. Auckland and Northland missed out last greatly last Spring, but what a bumper it was in the Waikato! \:D/

Cheers
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

I was getting excited reading that again! lol
Was thinking I didnt realise how long some of you guys had been on the forum, then I checked when I joined.. and it was right after that action! :D Still have some good video still caps of the skytower being hit somewhere
squid

Unread post by squid »

i rember that event very well had a severe storm go right over my house man what a light show and intense squall that came with it.
Cameo1

Unread post by Cameo1 »

Thanks for that guys. I was just checking out some old threads and found some lightning pics by GraemeWi. (thanks Foggy). The lightning is amazing. It seems to light up everything to daylight levels. :shock: :D
We, however didn't get any rain. I guess we missed the thunderstorms as usual those days, but we still got vivid anvil crawlers directly above our house, and side winders slightly to the north east of us. I guess where I am will be a good photography area for me in the future. :D
Angel

Unread post by Angel »

lol that storm was nothing.
Who remembers the one in 1990-91 on the north shore when the tornado ripped out the church at albany and then carried on and stuffed up some houses? I remember that one - I was home from school that day (form 1) and watched that big bugger take the roof off my friends house.
squid

Unread post by squid »

i rember that one i was at primary school when it came through the power went off and we all watched the storm that was a ripper
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

I can remember the Wahine storm Rain and wind and tree twigs and skidding in the corridors in the school ;)
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Michael wrote:I can remember the Wahine storm Rain and wind and tree twigs and skidding in the corridors in the school ;)
Whoa! The Wahine storm? Man, you're old! :twisted: :P

The best I have is memories of Cyclone Bola, and hanging onto firehoses for dear life while trying to secure roofing iron with salvage sheets and prayer.
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Gary Roberts wrote:
Michael wrote:I can remember the Wahine storm Rain and wind and tree twigs and skidding in the corridors in the school ;)
Whoa! The Wahine storm? Man, you're old! :twisted: :P

The best I have is memories of Cyclone Bola, and hanging onto firehoses for dear life while trying to secure roofing iron with salvage sheets and prayer.
I can remember it - just [-X ;)
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Angel wrote:lol that storm was nothing.
Who remembers the one in 1990-91 on the north shore when the tornado ripped out the church at albany and then carried on and stuffed up some houses? I remember that one - I was home from school that day (form 1) and watched that big bugger take the roof off my friends house.
Was still in kindy then :oops:

However around 1996 I vividly remember being wildy woken up around 8am with the loudest thunder imaginable.. like a shot gun explosion.. "chic chic BOOM!" :twisted:
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I can remember the cyclone of 1997 the one off taranaki I was in Golden Bay at the time we had huge tides which came halfway into the camp ground which was my only cyclone id been in.
The two worst thunderstorms ive been in was one in Golden Bay 2001 a thunderstorm came over with torrential rain close CG's striking on the shoreline floods inside our orning and tents completely flooding the whole camp and because it was high tide the water didn't drain out.
63mm in 40 minutes that storm according to a local at the Collingwood pub.
Another was a fierce thunderstorm that rolled in from the west at about 3am one morning in 2000 or 2001 i think john you said you rememberd that one it was incrediable iv'e never seen such big CG's and close strikes.
The thunder was so loud it rattled the plates in the cupboard and the rain waqs intense too i remember looking at the road after flowing like a river for about 20 mins atleast.
And then I wont ever forget the 2002 january 5th hailstorm pebble sized hail for 20 minutes blanketing the lawns and pathways white shredding trees putting holes in my galsshouse roof collasping my neighbours roof .
The intense noise was that of like a freight train especailly when it first was coming.
Cheers
Jason.
Last edited by Storm Struck on Sun 21/05/2006 22:15, edited 2 times in total.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Cameo1

Unread post by Cameo1 »

The first thunderstorm that made me sit up and take notice was in August of 1998. At school in Mt Eden, we watched from under shelter, the Skytower get hit many times, and I vaguely remember sparks falling off the top of it. That storm arrived very quickly and was preceded by continuous rolling thunder from the south west which hurried me off to school. Ah....brings back a lot of memories :) ...the sky was the darkest I've ever seen and it was freezing cold. The name Nostradamus was mentioned constantly that day.. the world was supposed to end that month apparently. :? ;) Amazing event, I haven't seen anything quite like it since. That matter of factly got me interested in te weather lol. :D
I personally don't care about anything but thunderstorms, in regard to the weather, they are the most amazing in my eyes, "water-ice-electricity?", absolutely phenomenal!
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Crickey, my memories of Nostradamas (or however it's spelt) were from the 70's when they theorised the end would come with Haley's Comet in 86. I never heard the 98 version.

My thunderstorms I remember as being vicious were Christmas Eve 1972 and two weeks after Cycolme Bola in Feb 87. I worked nearly 40 hours in the 87 one restoring communications, it hit us hard and I was first on call. After 13 hour's I was calling for help as we were still getting hammered and I was running out of spares. Eventually some of the spares came from Taupo through to Hamilton.
Cameo1

Unread post by Cameo1 »

Wow...what can I say to that?...I wasn't even born...lol :D
tgsnoopy wrote:Crickey, my memories of Nostradamas (or however it's spelt) were from the 70's when they theorised the end would come with Haley's Comet in 86. I never heard the 98 version.

My thunderstorms I remember as being vicious were Christmas Eve 1972 and two weeks after Cycolme Bola in Feb 87. I worked nearly 40 hours in the 87 one restoring communications, it hit us hard and I was first on call. After 13 hour's I was calling for help as we were still getting hammered and I was running out of spares. Eventually some of the spares came from Taupo through to Hamilton.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Actually, Bola was in March 1988.
kaimaikid

Unread post by kaimaikid »

well well well, looks like we are in for some electrical activity come Tuesday night here in the BOP 8)

COROMANDEL PENINSULA
Heavy rain and thunderstorms are expected to develop in a northeast
airstream Tuesday afternoon. In a 6 to 9 hour period from midday
Tuesday expect 70 to 100mm of rain in the ranges.

KAIMAI RANGES
Heavy rain and thunderstorms are expected to develop in a northeast
airstream on Tuesday evening. In a 6 to 9 hour period from about 6pm
Tuesday expect 70 to 100mm of rain to accumulate.
FREEZING LEVEL: About 2200 metres.
squid

Unread post by squid »

yes a rember bola aswell even thou i was only a kid then i got home early on the school bus to a trees crashing over just behind our house boy what a mess and when i went to school the winds were from the NE when i came home at lunchtime the winds were from the SW that is another thing i rember i took notice of the weather even as a little kid
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

RWood wrote:Actually, Bola was in March 1988.
In hindsight, you are correct, it was 88, it was the Edgecumbe Earthquake in 87... I think.
Andrew Massie

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

I think it was this time last year.. Or was it April... I was at my parents place in Lyttelton looking down the harbour Southwards and seeing lightning. I said to Dad that it might miss us! WRONG! It was dark and I could hear thunder, but in between, a dull roar. That was the sound of 10mm diameter hail on the harbour! There was lightning every 5 seconds and for the first time EVER, I was actually scared of the lightning!
My partner Emma's place in St Albans (north of central CHCH) got 25mm hail. Her car still bears the dings on the roof! Hail was going THROUGH the corrugated iron on the roof of her flat and a couple of panels had to be replaced!
That's why I love extreme weather... I love how Mother Nature like to show us that she's still Boss! And don't argue! ;)
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

It was 24 April last year (around here, anyway), St George's day? (but better known as my birthday :) ). Was driving towards Days Bay about 7pm when a great sound and light show struck - very exciting. Not much hail but torrential bursts of rain, lots of thunder/lightning and swirling gusty winds.
Andrew Massie

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

:D That's really why i'm here... That kind of weather makes you feel alive.. Being able to see that amount of kinetic and electrical energy discharged like that all at once.... Two words... WOO and HOO! :D :D :D 8)

Yep, i'm an extreme weather junkie! Or romantic! :roll: