Could be a hoar frost tonight RWood.

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Possibly the only frost chance we will get will be Saturday morning.
The next few days are abit cloudy.
This Cumulus popped up in the corner of my eye today looking NE so nice to have something to look at for awhile. :D
Cheers
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Yeah, that cloud has hung around all day, at the 1,400m level. It doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Beautiful and fine above it though. Popping out above it in the Land Cruiser is the closest I'll ever get to being a pilot! :D :D :D

Hey Foggy, does Hamilton experience many frosts? I'd have thought it might, being inland and all.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Hamilton gets 63 ground frosts a year according to NIWA.. compared to 42 in Tauranga, 69 in Taupo, 57 in Rotorua, 10 in W'ton, 70 in Chch and just 58 in Dunedin!
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:Hamilton gets 63 ground frosts a year according to NIWA.. compared to 42 in Tauranga, 69 in Taupo, 57 in Rotorua, 10 in W'ton, 70 in Chch and just 58 in Dunedin!
Havent had many frosts here in christchurch this winter so far, but then winter hasnt started yet has it!! :P
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

03Stormchaser wrote:
Havent had many frosts here in christchurch this winter so far, but then winter hasnt started yet has it!! :P
That's why we are so SHELTERED ;) ;)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Good frost here this morning, sceen min -4 degrees. :D
Gary Roberts

Andy wrote:Good frost here this morning, sceen min -4 degrees. :D
We had that inversion layer cloud at around 1,400m all night, so the low was only 1.7°. No frost for us!
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Very frosty here this morning - I recorded -3.5
Willoughby
Site Admin

I see Dunedin Airport was on -4c at 8am!!
..silly Breakfast reporters told us it was getting cooler when it was supposed to be getting warmer.. well I don't think they realise the sun rises at 8.08am down there this time of year! :roll:

Only down to 1c here, a walking southerly breeze all night prevented any local fog to develop.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

A Beaut day here.

Min -4.2 around 8:30 this morning with some fog, clearing around 10am to blue dome and sun. Max 11.6 8)
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Gary Roberts wrote:
Andy wrote:Good frost here this morning, sceen min -4 degrees. :D
We had that inversion layer cloud at around 1,400m all night, so the low was only 1.7°. No frost for us!

Did you see some sun today?
Gary Roberts

Andy wrote:Did you see some sun today?
She was a ripper! A little patchy cloud very early on which quickly cleared. If it stays how it is now - completely clear - then we'll probably have our first really cold night.
tich

Unread post by tich »

I thought we might get a frost in Chch tonight, but it'll have to clear up - it has clouded over with unforecast light showers late this evening. :o
Gary Roberts

tich wrote:I thought we might get a frost in Chch tonight, but it'll have to clear up - it has clouded over with unforecast light showers late this evening. :o
Quite a good frost this morning. The overnight low was -3.8° so not exactly a record breaker, but chilly enough I guess.

The low eventually reached -4.4° at 07:48.

EDIT: Wheeee...dense fog rolled in around Twizel! I have the camera primed and ready!
kiwisk8er

Unread post by kiwisk8er »

Had another good frost this morning. Dunedin airport showed a low of -4?C at 6 am. My weather station had a low of -2?C at about 6.30 am. I had to defrost the car twice this morning.
tich

Unread post by tich »

It didn't clear up - in fact it's drizzling again now. :evil: And an anticyclone is centred over us. :?
tich

Unread post by tich »

This is disgusting - thick drizzle in the middle of an anticyclone. :evil: :? It eases off every now and then, but then comes back again as intense as ever.
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Brrr - an 8 degree frost this morning but it's another stunning day. :)
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

I was reasonably unimpressed by having days drizzling showers here until last night despite 1020+ - onshore SSE crud. And I commented in another post there's one advantage in "bad high pressure" weather in my view - no headaches (and gentle winds). In Aug 1966 pressures were very high (in fact highest for decades for the 12 months 8/66 - 7/67 in central NZ), but Kelburn had just 79 hrs of sun and many days of light showers.

Also remember that Cant'y and Otago coasts/plains have in the past had some very low sunshine totals - most notably in the warmer months of the year - in some months with fairly high pressures but a significant easterly (particularly NE) component in the flow. From memory a good example from long back was December 1937 - warm and sunny in the North Island - very cloudy in the east of SI from N Canty southwards (over 300hrs sun at Tauranga but 115 in Ch'ch, 103 Timaru, 82 Waimate but then 200 In'gill).
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes abit of a glitch or change in the forecast today drizzle heavy at times or thick as Tich says.
I can see blue sky now though so it looks to be clearing up but it will be a good day for some nice towering CU and possibly a few heavy showers this afternoon with plenty of warm sun and moisture about.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
squid

Unread post by squid »

looks like you should get some ripper frosts once this next system has gone through and the next high comes over
Willoughby
Site Admin

Not yet squid. Southwesterlies set to prevail over the South Island behind the system with a few disturbances coming northwards. Severe frosts will have to wait until we get a blocking high.

Though indicators suggesting our high pressure cells are inclinating towards the equatorials.. back to it's 'normal' positions for winter.
(i.e. none of this ENE crap we've been getting this year)
tich

Unread post by tich »

I wonder if the dampness of the ground from recent rains, already proven to increase the risk of fog (like during the Super 14 final), also increases the likelihood of drizzle during otherwise weak and dry anticylonic northeasterly flows. Anticyclonic conditions usually don't produce heavy drizzle here, even if there's a northeasterly component to the flow.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Since the drizzle was very localised and not at all widespread (see the radar images) your theory is probably not right Ben. More likely to be a convergence set-up by flow around the Peninsula. Dry out here at Amberley, with broken SC all morning. Dull now, the cloud heavier than its been all day.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Sounds more plausible - though one might think that if there was a run of wet months prior it might have some influence generally. But there are examples from the past when wet cold Mays were followed by frosty, dry and sunny anticyclonic winter conditions.