Monday 12th: Severe Gales, Snow and Storms

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

TonyT wrote:
03Stormchaser wrote: To be honest metservice and blueskies missed it, with blueskies being the better of the two in there forecasts, the winner today goes to Jason!! ;)
I only got the temperature wrong, everything else was spot on! :D
I thought your forecast was for snow down to 200m?

Anyway ice on the car windows after work, frost tonight?? or at least for some of the night.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

It's clearing now, a Whore frost in the morning. :shock:

JohnGaul
NZTS
squid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by squid »

whore??? lol hoar u mean ;)
borris89

Unread post by borris89 »

has been quite a nice day here in hawkes bay. it was a little windy in the morning and then a quick 10 min shower and then clear skies for pretty much the rest of the day. getting quite hot standing in the sun lol.
JP.

Unread post by JP. »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:It's clearing now, a Whore frost in the morning. :shock:

JohnGaul
NZTS
I reckon!! its so cold outside in chch now, I'll be extra careful on the drive to work tomorrow..
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

We could possibly see snow showers in the morning after a hint of a frost with that cold front flicking through simular to August 2004 if anyone remembers that but we will see.
I wont even mention next wekend yet too far out ;) .
Will post a few pics in the photograph section soon then will put rest onto photobucket.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
03Stormchaser

Just been talking to my brother at Coopers Creek, A good 2 feet of snow, power been out all day with power lines down in front of his farm, so he moved them!! ;) Second day of snow after the rain he got on sunday from the NW. Grader hasnt been up his way yet so road is closed.
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

03Stormchaser wrote:I thought your forecast was for snow down to 200m?
I said 500m, dropping to 200m at night. Like I said, everything else fell into place nicely, but I was about 6 degrees too warm with the temperature! :D

BTW, did you notice Chch Aero was +14deg at 11pm, then down to +1 at 6pm, all the time with cloud, rain, and gusty winds! we had 16 deg here at Amberley at 10pm. Could just about have had a barbeque outdoors it was that warm! 14deg at 11pm must be nearly some kind of record for June, just as the +2 max for today probably is.
JP.

Unread post by JP. »

Beautiful clear sky out in chch tonight. The bad thing is it must be almost negative air temp already its bitterly cold.

As for the frost, my driveway is already like an ice rink and its only 7pm, most of the snow on the lawn is very hard already..
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

JP wrote:Beautiful clear sky out in chch tonight. The bad thing is it must be almost negative air temp already its bitterly cold.

As for the frost, my driveway is already like an ice rink and its only 7pm, most of the snow on the lawn is very hard already..
I'd tell you what the temp was in Omarama right now except the DSL router at the airport has crapped out and so the station can't upload its data to the website. Bloody power spikes.

Oh, and I can't tell you what the temperature is out at Lake Ohau because they still haven't got the power back on there yet, so that station is not uploading data either. Bloody power outages.

Also, I replaced the old Davis station in Twizel with the nice new Vaisala unit more than two weeks ago but am still waiting for the PLC programming Guru to do his thing and get the data flowing online. Bloody too busy PLC programming Guru...guys...

:evil:

However the air temperature in the Lindis Pass is -2.7° at the moment, so I'd say it'll be icing up pretty good in there right now.
Last edited by Gary Roberts on Mon 12/06/2006 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
03Stormchaser

TonyT wrote:
03Stormchaser wrote:I thought your forecast was for snow down to 200m?
I said 500m, dropping to 200m at night. Like I said, everything else fell into place nicely, but I was about 6 degrees too warm with the temperature! :D
Is 200m classed as sea level?? Not try to pick a fight, just confused :-k
Aussie2005

Unread post by Aussie2005 »

JP wrote:Beautiful clear sky out in chch tonight. The bad thing is it must be almost negative air temp already its bitterly cold.

Evening JP welcome to the forum from the other side of the Tasman.
If you do not have your own weather station or such you may be interested in this site where you can view various online weather station readings, I see there is a station in Halswell.
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/tmcgav ... ather.html
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

If I'd picked it would have got so cold then I would have said snow to sea level. I think the evolution of the weather pattern was well forecast, the precipitation amounts were spot on, the wind forecasts pretty good (no SW gales though), its just that the precip fell as 30-50cm of snow instead of 30-50mm of rain. And that all came down to getting the temperature wrong - instead of snow to 500m by day and 200m at night it was snow to 0m from dawn.
squid

Unread post by squid »

be sure to take some pics of the frost if it happends
Gary Roberts

TonyT wrote:...the precipitation amounts were spot on...
Ahem...not to be picky or anything, but 1-2cm was forecast for the Lindis Pass. And even then it sounded as if they were just hedging their bets.

;) ;) ;)

But at least they called some snow...after all the Boys Crying Wolf recently I was not a believer.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

How much snow did the Lindis pick up Gary?
I see 50cm fell at Tekapo,not suprising tho being 700 metres above sea level,although Methven picked up the same amount at 320metres.
Gary Roberts

Deano wrote:How much snow did the Lindis pick up Gary?
I see 50cm fell at Tekapo,not suprising tho being 700 metres above sea level,although Methven picked up the same amount at 320metres.
I don't actually know, to be honest. The LP weather station recorded 26mm of precipitation yesterday, and another 7.4mm so far today, but how much of that was snow I couldn't tell you.
Last edited by Gary Roberts on Mon 12/06/2006 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
squid

Unread post by squid »

well you got your snow so en joy it while you have it :D
Gary Roberts

squid wrote:well you got your snow so en joy it while you have it :D
But I want tropical sunshine now. I demand it.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Gary Roberts wrote:
TonyT wrote:...the precipitation amounts were spot on...
Ahem...not to be picky or anything, but 1-2cm was forecast for the Lindis Pass. And even then it sounded as if they were just hedging their bets.

;) ;) ;)

But at least they called some snow...after all the Boys Crying Wolf recently I was not a believer.
I just meant insofar as Blue Skie's forecasts for the Canterbury Plains which I compiled yesterday.
squid

Unread post by squid »

lol gary cant please you can we ;)
Gary Roberts

squid wrote:lol gary cant please you can we ;)
Not if I can help it. ;) :twisted:
Gary Roberts

TonyT wrote:I just meant insofar as Blue Skie's forecasts for the Canterbury Plains which I compiled yesterday.
Please refrain from applying facts to demolish my schadenfreude fiesta. Thank you.

:P
squid

Unread post by squid »

lol thought so [-X [-X ;)
tich

Unread post by tich »

If I'd picked it would have got so cold then I would have said snow to sea level. I think the evolution of the weather pattern was well forecast, the precipitation amounts were spot on, the wind forecasts pretty good (no SW gales though), its just that the precip fell as 30-50cm of snow instead of 30-50mm of rain. And that all came down to getting the temperature wrong - instead of snow to 500m by day and 200m at night it was snow to 0m from dawn.
I suppose it was another mesoscale convection feature, but on a much larger scale than that of mid May. The actual airmass and thickness levels I don't think would've been that low today - the coldest air should be behind tonight's front, but with alot less moisture, so much less snow (but still likely to sea-level early tomorrow in Chch, as I can't imagine it warming up tonight)