Aftermath 13 June on after winterstorm

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Aftermath 13 June on after winterstorm

Unread post by Michael »

Since still a lot is happening especially in the South Island perhaps have a new thread ;)
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Another flick as predicted. If the temps stay cold for the rest of the week look out on the weekend down there....Metvuw looks interseting!

More snow falls in Christchurch
13/06/2006 11:32:02

The snow storm that hit the South island yesterday has left many people without a phone service.

Telecom says its large exchanges have back-up generators, but the smaller sites do not and no electricity means no phone service.

About 10,000 homes throughout the South Island are without their landlines. Cellphone sites are also affected - 23 of them are currently down.

Lake Tekapo, Methven and Waimate appear to be worst hit. More then 1300 South Island broadband customers are also without services this morning.

Meanwhile slushy snow has returned to parts of Canterbury this morning. Akaroa had snow and sleet earlier this morning - however the sun has since come out.

The southerly is now over the northern part of Banks Peninsula bringing slushy sleet to Mount Pleasant. It is expected to pass through fairly quickly and bring snow down to 300 metres.

There are already reports of snow in Christchurch's eastern sea-side suburbs.
Christchurch Rocks
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Razor wrote:Another flick as predicted. If the temps stay cold for the rest of the week look out on the weekend down there....Metvuw looks interseting!
Power is still out to Lake Tekapo and Twizel, but we have crews working flat out, and extra guys arriving all the time. We've been told that 021 service to the Mackenzie has been restored, but my work cellphone is still dead (see how hard I weep about that... ;) ). Roads are still dicey for the inexperienced, with-or-without a 4x4. A very large truck and trailer unit jack-knifed in front of a colleague on his way to work this morning, much to his consternation. It's not exactly chaos, but life's been easier. And it still looks really pretty! :lol:
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

The big dump of '06

Here's today's MODIS Terra pass at 10.15am NZST

Disireable version: http://www.hamiltonweather.co.nz/images ... ow_med.jpg (689k, 888 X 1387 pixels)

SUPER (Would be good if someone got these postered!!) version: (Hey I can see Gary's house!) :P :P
http://www.hamiltonweather.co.nz/images ... _super.jpg (1.6mb, 1850 X 2724 pixels)

:D :D
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

NICE :D

Saved and printed! 8)
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

That would be Invercargill at the bottom of the green patch :( ;)
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

I spoke too soon - clouds raced back in a produced some more showers :( - will have to wait until tomorrow.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Someone in Timaru must've put 7mm into the rain gauge. :-k Or something is wrong with the AWS. Definately no rain there by looks of the Sat or radar.
Aaron Wilkinson
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:Someone in Timaru must've put 7mm into the rain gauge. :-k Or something is wrong with the AWS. Definately no rain there by looks of the Sat or radar.
Melting snow in the afternoon sunshine?
squid

Unread post by squid »

looks like more snow is on the way on the weekend

Valid: Thu 15 June to Sun 18 June
Issued: Tue 13 June 2006 at 02:46 pm

A front, approaching from the west, should reach the South Island on Friday and move over the North Island on Saturday. A strong northwest flow ahead of the front is expected to affect the South Island on Thursday and early Friday, and there is low confidence that winds will exceed severe gale around Foveaux Strait and inland areas of Canterbury and Otago. The flow is also likely to bring a period of heavy rain to the West Coast of the South Island, and confidence is low that amounts will exceed warning criteria.

Behind the front, a very cold south to southwest should become established over the country. This will bring snow to low levels, although amounts are unlikely to reach warning criteria in most places. However, there is low confidence that warning amounts of snow will fall in the Catlins to Otago Peninsula area late Friday into Saturday, and on the Central Plateau of the North Island during Saturday and Sunday.
Gary Roberts

squid wrote:looks like more snow is on the way on the weekend
I've been warning the people at work that the Weather Geeks are calling more snow this weekend, and, hey, you guys were spot on this weekend...! ;) :lol:
tich

Unread post by tich »

Here's today's MODIS Terra pass at 10.15am NZST
Great image, though it'd be interesting to see the limits of the snow cover over and around Chch (as not all the city was blanketed).
It'll be interesting to see if any records (minimums/frosts, maximums, and snow depths) will be broken. Chch feels like it's heading for a massive frost tonight, as it's already down to 2C with clear skies and no wind.
The southerly blast obviously hasn't ended for the North Island, as the Desert Road is now closed, and 3pm temperatures were only 6C in Taupo and Rotorua.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

yes a very good snow fall yesterday.I was up on the hills today/this afternoon at victoria park having a look around and theres still a good 10 cm up there but also turing very icy, looks like a cold night ahead for us tonight tho. ;)
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

So was this the biggest snow storm in Canterbury since 1991? This snow event was quite widespread looking at that impressive satellite photo.
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

So how did this event compare with the July 1992 event? I know stock losses etc were higher back then - but I guess comparison of volume and distribution of snow?

[talk about hitting the post button at the same time! - If I hadn't got up to check a book while I was posting....]
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

No how you feel Flutterbye.
The girls were so dissapointed as we drove into town yesterday listening to all the reports.
Maybe we are next.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

There was the August 1992 one but had a depression to the east of the country compared to this one but the wind may have been greater then :?:
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Janos wrote:No how you feel Flutterbye.
The girls were so dissapointed as we drove into town yesterday listening to all the reports.
Maybe we are next.
It would be nice for a change Janos though I wouldn't want to see buildings collapsing due to the weight of the snow. The only time we get decent snow settling in the city is when it falls from the W-NW as opposed to the S-SW.

Fingers crossed for the next one. :lol: :lol:
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Has been unusually windy tonight from the SSW.. normally a clearance of a system like that would see our wind die right down by around 6pm.

Dewpoint down to 1c/Temp 6c so the air is quite dry.

Fine and frosty start to the National Fieldays at Mystery Creek.. outlook suggests mostly cloudy conditions with a few showers about.
tich

Unread post by tich »

July 1992 was very heavy about the back country of Canterbury, but didn't reach the coast. In August 1992, the snow was very widespread and heavy, but it lasted a long time - I believe about 4 days inland - which led to big accumulations. Timaru got about 7cm then (I know as I was passing through) - said to have been its heaviest fall since 1945. This time the snow was alot deeper than 7cm in Timaru.
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

Just found some data on the '92 events, I guess we will have to wait a few more days until the highcountry areas recover and maybe hear some stories...

http://www.maf.govt.nz/mafnet/rural-nz/ ... ow0006.htm
Gary Roberts

GraemeWi wrote:Just found some data on the '92 events, I guess we will have to wait a few more days until the highcountry areas recover and maybe hear some stories...

http://www.maf.govt.nz/mafnet/rural-nz/ ... ow0006.htm
It's definitely not as severe as 1992.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Chch feels like it's heading for a massive frost tonight, as it's already down to 2C with clear skies and no wind.
Now -1C. Might warm up tomoorrow after a frosty start, as a westerly flow develops over the South Island. Might start melting the inland and South Canterbury snow. Still small patches in central Chch.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Ive uploaded a slighlty different, taken later, and larger (1 pixel equals 250m) Satilite image to foggys.

Shows Christchurch well!

http://03stormchaser.com/images/Snow_sat.jpg
2463x2468 pixel size, 3.41mb. Top image is sample of sat size!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Gary Roberts

03Stormchaser wrote:Ive uploaded a slighlty different, taken later, and larger (1 pixel equals 250m) Satilite image to foggys.
Awesome! What's the marking just to the upper right of dead-center, near the large river? A sort of cross-hatch pattern. Is it real (forestry say) or a transmission artifact?