Waterspout sighting :)

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
CbFan

Waterspout sighting :)

Unread post by CbFan »

Waterspout reported at 100m wide at base by gameboat off Whangaroa coastal area, Far North, yesterday (25/3). Was unable to collect details as I was only listening in on VHF. But have ID'd the boat and will follow up. Will post more as it comes to hand. Was a good day for it, I must have been watching in the wrong direction!

Good rain coming down at the moment, est 3 - 6mm in the last 2 hours in heavy squalls with light drizzle in between.

Cheers
Pete
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

it certainly was active looking (the Cb's on the frontal band) the other day on the sat pic!
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

More cb's lingering near the top of northland todayI notice. There is
the potential for isolated big dumps of rain/thunderstorm over the next
day or two for Northland. This potential spreading across NZ for the weekend.
CbFan

Unread post by CbFan »

Okay, here we go....
I hope to get out to the valley tomorrow to try and identify any damage path.

Event 1400Hrs 25/03/03 - Far North, NZ.
(Observing vessel was quarter of a mile from event)

Report should now be classified as tornado (possible F0, yet to be confirmed)
Funnel spawned from Cb at sea in coastal waters. Lots of scud associated with this storm prior to vortex formation . Located off Cavalli Islands, Whangaroa. Travelled roughly Southwest to make landfall at the mouth of Mahinepua valley. By landfall the visible ground/sea effect had gone and the funnel was roping out.
As vortex passed the vessel, the wind went from Easterly, around to NW, then South and reverted back to easterly. A lot of spray wrapped around the base estimated as 100m across. Rotation of vortex confirmed as anticlockwise and was tracking at approx 25Kn as it passed the boat. Total event duration (genesis to complete decay) estimated at 10min.
Vessel "Lady Luck" based at Whangaroa. Skipper L. Franks.

Cheers
Pete

Most irritating quote, "I see them all the time. Even seen four of them coming out of the one cloud" I have to get out fishing more often!
Thunder

Hello Pete

Unread post by Thunder »

HI All, and Pete

Really good report there! Perhaps you'll be able to give us more reports of Cb related events over the next few days as that warm front is with you. Really boring weather here with continuous NE and foggy / misty mornings then breaking out to an ok day with some sun then the cloud rolls back in again with the onset of night. ;)

Aaron Wilkinson
CbFan

Unread post by CbFan »

Hi Aaron,

Long time no see :)

The weather up here is far from exciting at the moment.

10/10 stratus & v.low visibility is ruining any chance of decent obs.
As for the heavy rain...That's become boring too - Heavy rain, no rain, heavy rain, no rain, heavy rain....

Had to leave work early due to flooding threatening the roads, but that's normal here (TVNZ love this place as it's guaranteed "dramatic" flood footage :) Ho hum. Locals run on the following levels of seriousness: "a flood", "quite a good flood", and " I 'spose the TV chopper will be here later".
Thunder

Hi Pete

Unread post by Thunder »

I'll be watching the news tonight, perhaps there will be an news item on it.

Pete, did you get the last e-mail I sent you saying thanks for those articles? hope so! If not well then Thanks heaps!

Aaron Wilkinson ;)