Unusually low 3PM temperature today in Tauranga

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Unusually low 3PM temperature today in Tauranga

Unread post by tich »

Check out the 3PM obs for today (1st October believe or not) - Tauranga in the normally warm, sunny Bay of Plenty, was only 7.5C, colder than any South Island centre at the same time! The coldest in the south was 7.8C at Nugget Point. There's a cold southwesterly flow over the North Island, with snow showers forecast to about 800 or 900 metres about the Desert Road, and thunder and hailstorms predicted further north. My guess is that Tauranga was being hit by one of these storms - but the 3PM radar only shows a patch of green over the area, though the western Bay of Plenty is on the edge of the Auckland radar.

BTW, really wintry blasts can still hit, even in the north, during October. I remember snow on the hills around Rotorua in mid October 1982 - the daytime max being only 8.5C!

Ben
christchurch
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Yes, very unseasonal Ben.

Weather today in Auckland was more like the worst weather you get in July. I was working at Bucklands Beach in the eastern suburbs and the weather was cold with blustery showers of rain and hail.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Wintry clouds over Auckland today

NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Nice pictures, Steven.
Some pileous forms developed onto top of Cu congestus towers over the Port Hills around 2:30pm. but they were only short lived and I didn't have the opportunuty to photo them

JohnGaul
NZTS