Heavy Snowfall Outlook 21/06/2006 - till....

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Good to see the Northerners get their turn to play at last after the Southerners have dominated this forum for so long. :D
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Gary Roberts wrote:Good to see the Northerners get their turn to play at last after the Southerners have dominated this forum for so long. :D
Would be GREAT to get some more North Islander's on board.. esp. BoP/Gisborne/Central/Naki.. Waikato (I'm sooo alone here in the great basin!!) :oops:
Gary Roberts

Foggy Hamilton wrote:
Gary Roberts wrote:Good to see the Northerners get their turn to play at last after the Southerners have dominated this forum for so long. :D
Would be GREAT to get some more North Islander's on board.. esp. BoP/Gisborne/Central/Naki.. Waikato (I'm sooo alone here in the great basin!!) :oops:
Yeah, and we need more West Coasters also. But this place is becoming famous after the snowfall and Action Weather! I hope it stays up for a long time, otherwise we'll have to find somewhere else to spend all our free time! ;) :D
squid

Unread post by squid »

the SI may hide the snow but the NI hides the thunderstorms ;)
Gary Roberts

squid wrote:the SI may hide the snow but the NI hides the thunderstorms ;)
It's true.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Been a cool day here, hail, sleet and snow. But have only recorded 12mm here since 5pm last night.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I wounder if that passing warm front going up/off the east coast of the SI this evening/tonight could enhance things a little? We'll see.

Had a bit of snow here this morning, will put up a few pics later. Nothing much, just enough to settle on the ground but has melted now.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

-4 deg tonight is the minimum forecasted.
One of my colleagues was saying that the tv crews were out this morning at strategic intersections filming the unfortunates who now must dig deep to straighten up their vehicles and theres alot of them.
Berkshire North of Te Anau west of Hokitika.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes Aaron something to perhaps watch for :-k I was already thinking snow showers could return and become more widespread after 4pm as it cools down.
Still sleety showers coming through from time to time.
5C at the moment but id imagine it will cool down quickly soon.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Janos wrote:-4 deg tonight is the minimum forecasted.
One of my colleagues was saying that the tv crews were out this morning at strategic intersections filming the unfortunates who now must dig deep to straighten up their vehicles and theres alot of them.
I for one wouldn't have taken my vehicle out on the roads especially if there was chance it was going to be filmed for TV. I would also heed the warnings about staying off the roads until they thawed. :D
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

Flutterbye I must admit to a late start and a very slow drive into work with a carload of school girls. It was an interesting drive especially passing the carnage on the side of the roads including a bus which lost traction and took out a few parked cars.
Berkshire North of Te Anau west of Hokitika.
Flutterbye

Janos wrote:Flutterbye I must admit to a late start and a very slow drive into work with a carload of school girls. It was an interesting drive especially passing the carnage on the side of the roads including a bus which lost traction and took out a few parked cars.
Ouch :shock:
GSVNoFixedAbode

Unread post by GSVNoFixedAbode »

Flutterbye wrote:I for one wouldn't have taken my vehicle out on the roads especially if there was chance it was going to be filmed for TV. I would also heed the warnings about staying off the roads until they thawed. :D
One of my "justifications" for upgrading to a 4WD was that it could handle the snow and ice on the hill suburbs. I couldn't very well wimp out today! :roll: :twisted:
I am Heisenborg: you will probably be assimilated.
Out the Dunedin window. And out the Arrowtown window. Arrowtown Weather Still battling for the Tunnels Trail
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:I wounder if that passing warm front going up/off the east coast of the SI this evening/tonight could enhance things a little? We'll see.

Had a bit of snow here this morning, will put up a few pics later. Nothing much, just enough to settle on the ground but has melted now.

Cheers

hmmmm interesting Aaron hmmmmm :lol: fingers crossed but yeah thats a good statment. who els thinks thats a good chance there?
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Flutterbye

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:
Flutterbye wrote:I for one wouldn't have taken my vehicle out on the roads especially if there was chance it was going to be filmed for TV. I would also heed the warnings about staying off the roads until they thawed. :D
One of my "justifications" for upgrading to a 4WD was that it could handle the snow and ice on the hill suburbs. I couldn't very well wimp out today! :roll: :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gary Roberts

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:
But does it have the requisite snokel, winch, bullbars and floodlights, all so necessary to negotiate the treacherous city wilds? ;) :twisted:
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

And don't forget the overturned chairs :lol:
Christchurch Rocks
Gary Roberts

Razor wrote:And don't forget the overturned chairs :lol:
Kind of like ten pin bowling really...slide the 4x4 on a patch of ice into a Café bar or bistro and see the chairs fly!

I love inclement weather.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

what do you people think about what Aaron said? he says there is a warm front coming in it might set things up tonight a little? SNOW???????? MAYBE some advection?
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

it certainly is wrapping around and looking like it will run in canty allright....
if the lower layer is cold enough, then yes i say more snow, but wont last all that long...will turn to rain as the warm front approaches?
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
tich

Unread post by tich »

what do you people think about what Aaron said? he says there is a warm front coming in it might set things up tonight a little? SNOW???????? MAYBE some advection?
Maybe at first, but warm fronts tend to raise freezing levels and turn snow to rain. But if the existing air is very cold, this may take some time.

Just been listening to National Radio news and it sure looks bad in the central NI, with all roads through the central plateau closed and not likely to reopen for sometime. (maybe not even tomorrow should this weather continue) Now looking like a major event with snow down to low levels - graders are even having to clear roads of snow in rural Taranaki below Egmont National Park.
Gary Roberts

tich wrote:
Maybe at first, but warm fronts tend to raise freezing levels and turn snow to rain. But if the existing air is very cold, this may take some time.

Just been listening to National Radio news and it sure looks bad in the central NI, with all roads through the central plateau closed and not likely to reopen for sometime. (maybe not even tomorrow should this weather continue) Now looking like a major event with snow down to low levels - graders are even having to clear roads of snow in rural Taranaki below Egmont National Park.
It's -2° in Twizel and not dropping very rapidly. I suspect a lot of the incoming stuff will move out over the Pacific before hitting us. Maybe we'll get a little snow down in the SI. But then maybe it'll be the biggest snowfall ever. Dunno really.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes, my thoughts were some warm advection snow. Air will be too warm for snow to low levels tornado man but it could be a bit lower then one would typically think. An NZCH meteogram still shows quite a bit of rain wants to come, has only really poped up in the last model run or two. So I'm thinking it wants to suck some moisture off that warm front and onto the plains. Could still be some more snow for the farmers in the foothills yet perhaps? And I'm meant to know this stuff, ha! :D I try, this one has sneaked up a bit though if anything does come to fruition. Farmers should be ok due to the recent weather I'd imagine.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

one news 2 nite highlighted the plight farmers are having in mid canterbury
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Very true. Well, they will be more on-guard / keeping an eye on things.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson