It's baaaaaaack...!

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:Anyone else sick of the term 'wintry showers'? Just seems like such a lazy oxymoron. :?

Every shower we get here from June 21 to September 23 is wintry, indeed! ;)
If it's boring, I use those terms, like wintry showers, thundery showers,mini tornados,frosts in sheletered araes, whatever, etc.,](*,)
JohnGaul
NZTS
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

well this is the last post im sending for the night im praying that it will snow overnight heavy and we will wake up to see some snow on the ground.and maybe se some snow falling tomorrow morning.lets hope its not over yet guys.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

tornadoman18 wrote:well this is the last post im sending for the night im praying that it will snow overnight heavy and we will wake up to see some snow on the ground.and maybe se some snow falling tomorrow morning.lets hope its not over yet guys.
I doubt it and I',m up the road in Selwyn Street

JohnGaul
NZTS
Fujita Phil
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

sw_windbow wrote:Hey whats grapel? Is that somewhere between snow and hail? The hail here comes in 30 second busts, it goes flat out on the roof for 30 seconds then I look outside and enough has fallen to cover the cars and street.
I thought grapel happened inside Thunderstorm clouds rather than the hail we are getting now?
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:
Fujita Phil wrote:Different conditions all over town tonight. Hail in the CBD at 6pm. Hail up my way at about 7.20pm. Drove home and couldn't get up the hill in the car. Walked the 3km up from the bottom as the 4WD's drove past us :lol:
Good exercise Phil, but you should have waited 1/2 an hour! We got up no problem in a little Festiva (Sube was warmly tucked up in it's garage) and we're not that far down the road from you. ;)
:lol: We thought that by the time we got to the top. Oh well, good exercise as you said ;)
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Kezza
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Kezza »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:
tornadoman18 wrote:well this is the last post im sending for the night im praying that it will snow overnight heavy and we will wake up to see some snow on the ground.and maybe se some snow falling tomorrow morning.lets hope its not over yet guys.
I doubt it and I',m up the road in Selwyn Street

JohnGaul
NZTS
If something happens in Selwyn, come tell me in Burke St :D
Smeagol

Unread post by Smeagol »

Have just woken up to a couple of cm of snow on the ground. Yes! An excuse to not go to work!
JP.

Unread post by JP. »

About 1cm on the ground in halswell / hornby..

Its more a mix of hail and sleet rather than real snow, still looks pretty but I'll have to go to work and hope for more...
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Yes, it is officially "snaining" at the moment...nothing to really write home about...let alone on this forum, but hey, a wee bit of snow is better than nothing! 8) ;)
Andrew Massie

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

Great big flakes of suspicious white powder falling FROM THE SKY at chch airport at 0720!!! :D
GSVNoFixedAbode

Unread post by GSVNoFixedAbode »

Bit more snow on Dunedin hills overnight, but the worst black ice on the hill suburb roads that I've seen in years. Police are now advising people on the hills to stay home/stay off the roads.

I came down Signal Hill in low ratio (Sube Outback) but with 3 cars having just pranged ahead of me I went round the slightly rougher-surfaced side streets at a crawl with no dramas. On the flat it's not too bad.

Cheers,

Gerard
I am Heisenborg: you will probably be assimilated.
Out the Dunedin window. And out the Arrowtown window. Arrowtown Weather Still battling for the Tunnels Trail
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

First sleet snow shower just gone through settling well bcoz its relativly dry on the ground big flakes too.
Snowing again as i write this :D who was that said snow between 6-11am :-k \:D/ .
UPDATE.. Very heavy snow shower just gone through concreate is now sedemint so next snow shower will settle on the concrete. 8)
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
tich

Unread post by tich »

Snowing intermittantly in central Chch this morning, with a light dusting on roofs, lawns etc. (but not roads)[/quote]
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Looks like snow falling on Jeffs weather cam now
Christchurch Rocks
janewaystv

Unread post by janewaystv »

Any snow yet in Invercargill flutterbye? Did metservice get thier forecast right? Just wondering............. :)
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Light snow showers in Amberley this morning, I just love those really light showers where its just spitting snow and you can follow one single snow flake for ages as it drifts around on he wind. Great fun.

No snow on the ground here, although a moderate coating on the nearby hills to 100m or less.
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

janewaystv wrote:Any snow yet in Invercargill flutterbye? Did metservice get thier forecast right? Just wondering............. :)
Just the one fall last night about 7pm. Cold, calm and partly cloudy this morning. More blue sky patches appearing. Pretty boring really ;)
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

TonyT wrote:...I just love those really light showers where its just spitting snow and you can follow one single snow flake for ages as it drifts around on he wind...
"My name's Forrest, Forrest Gump"...you know, that final scene of the movie, with the feather, and it floats around. Ah, forget it.
:lol: :P
Smeagol

Unread post by Smeagol »

Stopped snowing here not too long ago and looks like it starting to clear :cry:
mikestormchaser

yup snowing in christchurch again what a awsome site.yehaaaaaaaaaaa :lol:
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Flutterbye

Look at New Brighton beach at 9am.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikestormchaser

Flutterbye wrote:Look at New Brighton beach at 9am.

haha nice flutterbye, has been snowing, some heavy falls is well.wouldnt wanna go for a swim in that water would ya :lol:
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Nice to see the snow on the Beach, I didn't realize they got daylight down there at this time of the year.

Sunny 11C here, calm but Cb clouds moving in.
sw_windbow

Unread post by sw_windbow »

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:Bit more snow on Dunedin hills overnight, but the worst black ice on the hill suburb roads that I've seen in years. Police are now advising people on the hills to stay home/stay off the roads.

I came down Signal Hill in low ratio (Sube Outback) but with 3 cars having just pranged ahead of me I went round the slightly rougher-surfaced side streets at a crawl with no dramas. On the flat it's not too bad.

Cheers,

Gerard
Hi GSV, I live across the valley in Dalmore. Please feel free to post your observations on the Dunedin weather blog too, so future generations can see what the Great Winter of '06 was like to those who were there.

Looks like its starting to clear from the south.
Flutterbye

spwill wrote:
Nice to see the snow on the Beach, I didn't realize they got daylight down there at this time of the year.

Sunny 11C here, calm but Cb clouds moving in.
Damn cheeky ;) :lol: