It's baaaaaaack...!

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Flutterbye
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Flutterbye »

tornadoman18 wrote:
Flutterbye wrote:Look at New Brighton beach at 9am.

haha nice flutterbye, has been snowing, some heavy falls is well.wouldnt wanna go for a swim in that water would ya :lol:
Wouldn't get me in there snowing or not. :lol: :lol:
squid
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by squid »

nice to see you got some more snow flutterbye :D
squid

Unread post by squid »

oh isnt new brighten beach in chch?
Flutterbye

squid wrote:oh isnt new brighten beach in chch?
Yep. :lol:
squid

Unread post by squid »

derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr me rofl checky bugga :oops:
Flutterbye

I should have said that it's a webcam picture. :D
squid

Unread post by squid »

haha leave me alone i am just waking up
squid

Unread post by squid »

any reports of any snow in wellington??
squid

Unread post by squid »

New freezing blast sweeps country

UPDATED 9.55am Thursday June 22, 2006

Another cold front sweeping the country has closed roads and turned southern regions into an ice rink, police say.

The central North Island was largely cut off and the Hawkes Bay ranges were next in line for snowfall.

The Desert Road and State Highway 35 between Tolaga Bay and Tokomaru Bay on the East Coast have been closed in the North Island, while SH8 between Omarama and Tarras and SH87 between Mosgiel and Middlemarch are closed due to snow.

The Automobile Association is recommending people use alternative routes.

The Rimutaka Hill Road between Upper Hutt and Featherston was closed overnight, due to snow.

Eight cars were pulled off the Rimutaka Hill Road last night, National Radio reported.

Dunedin roads have iced over, and residents have been warned only to drive their cars if they absolutely have to, avoiding hill roads if they can.

A tree downed by winds has blocked a major arterial route in central Wellington.

The Karori tunnel was closed but National Radio reported that Wellington City Council staff had managed to clear it.

There has also been surface flooding at McKays Crossing on the Kapiti Coast.

It was reported this morning that eight trucks were trapped on the Desert Road overnight.

Snow closed SH1 between Taihape and Waiouru, cutting off the central North Island. SH49 between Waiouru and Ohakune was also closed.

MetService said today that heavy snow had eased over the Kaikoura and Rimutuka Ranges and the situation was improving over the Tararua Ranges.

However, Hawkes Bay was expected to face heavy rain today with
heavy snow in the hills and ranges. These conditions should spread
north into Gisborne on Friday and gradually ease in Hawkes Bay.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Could be the North Island's turn for a snowstorm of the type that Canterbury got on June 12th. (well at least Hawkes Bay hill and high country) SH1 is now closed south from Taihape to near Hunterville, quite low down.

Snow coming down again in central Chch.
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:Bit more snow on Dunedin hills overnight, but the worst black ice on the hill suburb roads that I've seen in years. Police are now advising people on the hills to stay home/stay off the roads.

I came down Signal Hill in low ratio (Sube Outback) but with 3 cars having just pranged ahead of me I went round the slightly rougher-surfaced side streets at a crawl with no dramas. On the flat it's not too bad.

Cheers,

Gerard
Well let me tell you about my morning. Of course the car is in the valley but I have to get to it yet. It's 7am I'm walking down the hill to get the car to go to the airport. Black ice everywhere, I'M WEARING A SUIT AND CARRYING A SMALL SUITCASE. At one point I slip, save myself, but let the suitcase go. It makes it a good 20metres down the hill :lol: . Guess that saves me carrying it.

I do make it to the bottom of the hill after watching a few cars slide past me. In the valley it's just wet and I can drive all the way to the airport with no dramas.

At the airport the plane coming in from Chch is still circling as the runway is covered in black ice, same with the carpark. 8.30am arrives (about 25min after the plane should have landed) and the Chch plane needs to return to Chch or there's a petrol issue thingy going on. Flight cancelled, all other flights are full because the scarfies are on holiday. That's it... back to the office :evil:
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Fujita Phil wrote:Well let me tell you about my morning. Of course the car is in the valley but I have to get to it yet. It's 7am I'm walking down the hill to get the car to go to the airport. Black ice everywhere, I'M WEARING A SUIT AND CARRYING A SMALL SUITCASE. At one point I slip, save myself, but let the suitcase go. It makes it a good 20metres down the hill :lol: . Guess that saves me carrying it.

I do make it to the bottom of the hill after watching a few cars slide past me. In the valley it's just wet and I can drive all the way to the airport with no dramas.

At the airport the plane coming in from Chch is still circling as the runway is covered in black ice, same with the carpark. 8.30am arrives (about 25min after the plane should have landed) and the Chch plane needs to return to Chch or there's a petrol issue thingy going on. Flight cancelled, all other flights are full because the scarfies are on holiday. That's it... back to the office :evil:
Makes me feel much better! :) ;)
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

WEARING A SUIT AND CARRYING A SMALL SUITCASE!?!
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
squid

Unread post by squid »

even better ;) :D
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

most showers that reach here are fizzling out or breaking up although the showers are becoming more closer together now with some heavy sleet before.
I see snow showers now forecast for queenstown.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Jasestrm wrote:most showers that reach here are fizzling out or breaking up although the showers are becoming more closer together now with some heavy sleet before.
Cheers
Jason.

queenstown? i havent seen it forcast for queenstown mate but then i again i havent checked for awhile.snow again in chrustchurch before.only 3C
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

tornadoman18 wrote:
Jasestrm wrote:most showers that reach here are fizzling out or breaking up although the showers are becoming more closer together now with some heavy sleet before.
Cheers
Jason.

queenstown? i havent seen it forcast for queenstown mate but then i again i havent checked for awhile.snow again in chrustchurch before.only 3C
Yes, Queenstown is, as is Chch! :shock:
Gary Roberts

Foggy Hamilton wrote:
tornadoman18 wrote:
Yes, Queenstown is, as is Chch! :shock:
Is this stuff traveling up the east coast? We've had nothing in the Mackenzie.

EDIT: Just looking at the sat pics on MetConnect...the way the mass of the oncoming weather is moving makes it seem as if it may head out to sea (eastwards) rather than over the lower SI. I suspect the bulk of it will anyway, although enough of the dregs could make it inland to Queenstown possibly for some snow. Hmmm.
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

Just been up into the hill suburbs caching. Another story but there are numerous damaged cars deposited in front of posts and parked in inappropriate places. We drove past at least 4....
But still bitterly cold at elevation and still snowing in the higher suburbs.
The ice has fortunately gone but boy what a day and a panel beaters dream.
I think that was hail on the beach in Christchurch at least thats whay my Christchurch based brother in law tells me.
Berkshire North of Te Anau west of Hokitika.
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

Theres also a webcam at the skyline restaurant in Queenstown.
Worth a look.
Berkshire North of Te Anau west of Hokitika.
Gary Roberts

Janos wrote:Theres also a webcam at the skyline restaurant in Queenstown.
Worth a look.
http://www.skyline.co.nz/queenstown/webcam/
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:I came down Signal Hill in low ratio (Sube Outback) but with 3 cars having just pranged ahead of me I went round the slightly rougher-surfaced side streets at a crawl with no dramas. On the flat it's not too bad.
Darn, he's worked out the secret. We'll have to kill you now! :lol:
Gary Roberts

tgsnoopy wrote:
GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:I came down Signal Hill in low ratio (Sube Outback) but with 3 cars having just pranged ahead of me I went round the slightly rougher-surfaced side streets at a crawl with no dramas. On the flat it's not too bad.
Darn, he's worked out the secret. We'll have to kill you now! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
GSVNoFixedAbode

Unread post by GSVNoFixedAbode »

Gotta catch me first Snoop! :P
I am Heisenborg: you will probably be assimilated.
Out the Dunedin window. And out the Arrowtown window. Arrowtown Weather Still battling for the Tunnels Trail
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Leaving Auckland in a few hours. Colder than one could normally expect but otherwise very unexciting weather. Making short stopover in Santiago where currently dry and 15-18 expected but Saturday doesn't look too pleasant. But after that it's Brazil and the notion of winter will disappear (won't be anywhere south of Rio). Some of the time will be in the east-central plateau where it's currently rainless and up to 30C, the rest at coastal towns. Will not miss the winter really - even though in W'gton as in many other parts of NZ the cold has been accompanied by a higher than usual number of sunny days.