Snow on Thursday 29th June??

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Flutterbye
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Flutterbye »

squid wrote:metservice are still going for snow down to 300 metres for the south.
Not close enough for me :( ;)
Weathermad
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Weathermad »

200 to 300 households still without power mainly in South Canterbury

There are still young families involved too and as one caller on talkback radio said today'In 1945 during the big snow we were without power for 2 months and we managed to survive'

Kinda puts it all in perspective I think
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Weathermad wrote:...'In 1945 during the big snow we were without power for 2 months and we managed to survive'

Kinda puts it all in perspective I think
Absolutely. If you can't survive without electricity and some snow then this is not the place to be! ;)
squid

Unread post by squid »

well i guess those people are used to being without power whenever there is a snowfall event.
Gary Roberts

squid wrote:well i guess those people are used to being without power whenever there is a snowfall event.
Sometimes enough snow falls that the power goes out. There's not much anybody can do to prevent it. If you also happen to be getting your power from the last pole in a long line of them then you should expect such a thing to happen, and for the power to stay off for a while.

It's Darwinian: those who can't cope in such situations get out and those that can cope stay. Sooner or later you are left only with those who aren't fazed by snow or 0 volts.

During winter I've slept in a tent at elevations above 2,000m...I couldn't bitch about the cold because I chose to be there. But too many people want to be able to have their cake and eat it too.

Harden up, folks!

:lol: :twisted:
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

It's amazing though isn't it how much we rely on power it revolves around us everyday and when it goes out everything shuts down buisnesses schools etc.
I am abit of tramper so I can go without technology for quite some time dont know about others :? :D .
I was reading too in my diary that it actually snowed on the 10th of June 2002 at night I actually remember that night too it started off in south Canterbury and got quite bad then moved north.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Gary Roberts

Jasestrm wrote:I was reading too in my diary that it actually snowed on the 10th of June 2002 at night I actually remember that night too it started off in south Canterbury and got quite bad then moved north.
Cheers
Jason.
Were you tramping at the time it happened?
Storm Struck

No Gary I wasn't tramping at the time but what I mean was that it snowed on the 10th of June 2002 and yet this year it was June 12th 2006 so it has snowed close to the date. :D
Where would a south island man be without his thermals,tramping boots,Trangia,bangers and mash,and a nice warm stew in hand with two speights cans opend either side of you :D :lol: :lol: .
GOOD ON YA MATEEE.
Cheers
Jason.
Gary Roberts

Jasestrm wrote:No Gary I wasn't tramping at the time but what I mean was that it snowed on the 10th of June 2002 and yet this year it was June 12th 2006 so it has snowed close to the date. :D
Heh, I wasn't taking the pi*s or anything. I thought you may have had some excellent photos, or anecdotes about being snowed-into some DoC huts!
Where would a south island man be without his thermals,tramping boots,Trangia,bangers and mash,and a nice warm stew in hand with two speights cans opend either side of you :D :lol: :lol: .
GOOD ON YA MATEEE.
Cheers
Jason.
Ooooh, the height of luxury and decadence! Why, when I go tramping, I take nothing but a jar of acid and a box of broken lightbulbs...that way, when I start to get comfortable, I can remind myself that hiking is really a form of self-abuse. You young 'uns today, with your thermals and your tramping boots! Pfft!

;) :P
tich

Unread post by tich »

No Gary I wasn't tramping at the time but what I mean was that it snowed on the 10th of June 2002 and yet this year it was June 12th 2006 so it has snowed close to the date.
Actually, it was 17th June 2002. But go back a decade from now, and there was significant snow to low levels (heavy in parts of Chch) about 11th/12th June 1996 in the South Island.

Thursday's trough and southerly may be week, but I can't see it warming up much in the South Island before then, so any precipitation in the inland valleys and basins could easily be snow, not rain.
Gary Roberts

tich wrote:Thursday's trough and southerly may be week, but I can't see it warming up much in the South Island before then, so any precipitation in the inland valleys and basins could easily be snow, not rain.
Or ice cubes! :x
Storm Struck

I nearly had a possum caught by its tail one night Gary.
I was sleeping and the checky bugger came up and pinged my chord on the tramping bag i managed to slowly wake up to hear the hissing close by and went to lunge managed to get his tail slightly with bare hands.
Didn't visit again that night but a stoat did :lol: .
Ahhh good old nights out under the bivy with nothing but two tarps one fly and one peice of string as a shelter.
It's so peaceful and quiet I wonder if any Aucklanders would be able to handle the outdoors like us.
Cheers
Jason.
squid

Unread post by squid »

i bet aucklanders would fall over if it snowed there and the power went out ;)
Gary Roberts

Jasestrm wrote:I nearly had a possum caught by its tail one night Gary.
I was sleeping and the checky bugger came up and pinged my chord on the tramping bag i managed to slowly wake up to hear the hissing close by and went to lunge managed to get his tail slightly with bare hands.
Didn't visit again that night but a stoat did :lol: .
Ahhh good old nights out under the bivy with nothing but two tarps one fly and one peice of string as a shelter.
It's so peaceful and quiet I wonder if any Aucklanders would be able to handle the outdoors like us.
Cheers
Jason.
There was an old one eyed possum who used to hang around one of the Lake Waikaremoana camping spots. He was absolutely fearless, and you'd spend half the night arguing with him over your stuff. As far as he was concerned if you were asleep you'd forfeited it! :D

I met tons of Aucklanders there, being a Great Walk. Some of them should have stayed at home for sure, but a lot of them were having a great time and made interesting hut mates. :)

A big group of townie types (of unknown origin) so annoyed me one day in the Panakiri Bluff hut that I left at 5 AM. They'd hiked in from the nearest water taxi spot, each carrying a whole bag, box or bottle each, and took over the entire hut, having some kind of dinner/cocktail party into the wee small hours. It was all a bunch of braying about investments and property development projects and shares in vineyards...noxious blowhard crap like that.

So I shot out the door as soon as it got slightly less black outside and headed down, only to find an incredibly dense fog outside. I pressed on (duh!) and at one point was about to take a step when something made me hesitate...and a few seconds later the fog cleared enough for me to see that I was about to step off the Bluff! 900-odd meters straight down! :shock:

Very transient fog it was, apparently confined to the immediate vicinity of the lake and burning off very rapidly as soon as the sun rose. Lovely spot, Lake Waikaremoana.
squid

Unread post by squid »

metservice are going for light snow down to 400 metres from southland to canterbury I dont think that this is going to be much of an event.
Gary Roberts

squid wrote:... I dont think that this is going to be much of an event.
That's what I thought two weeks ago.
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

And its still coating alot of the South Island.
Berkshire North of Te Anau west of Hokitika.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Unread post by GSVNoFixedAbode »

Just south of Temuka, SH1, late afternoon yesterday (27/06)!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am Heisenborg: you will probably be assimilated.
Out the Dunedin window. And out the Arrowtown window. Arrowtown Weather Still battling for the Tunnels Trail
Gary Roberts

Yep, pretty much most of the landscape down here is still under a decent coating of snow.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Still fog bound here. Temp -1.8°
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

I will post some pics in the photo section :)
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

Hi Andy keep us posted re the FROST might be worth doing a day trip up during the weekend.
Thanks
Berkshire North of Te Anau west of Hokitika.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Yep, pretty much most of the landscape down here is still under a decent coating of snow.
-5C at Tara Hills at 3pm this afternoon. A comparatively warm +5C in Chch now.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Janos wrote:Hi Andy keep us posted re the FROST might be worth doing a day trip up during the weekend.
Thanks
Yep will DO!

More eye candy in photo section from today.
Storm Struck

so nice to see a blue dome sky day today havn't seen that in awhile :D .
About Lunchtime today I noticed one cloud in the sky the only cloud and it was shaped like a boat. :lol:
Don't see much with this change tomorrow perhaps the odd shower or two no thunder potential no snow potential.
Snow i suspect will fall to about 400m but only very minimal amounts.
I see todays top in Alex was -2C :P .
Cheers
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.