AVN forcasting thing, cool!

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Thunder

AVN forcasting thing, cool!

Unread post by Thunder »

Hello all!

I've only really just descovered this site although you guys might (I know you do Deano from your previous posts) allready know of it. It's quite cool to find out what potential lifted indexes could be for the coming day, hence where thunderstorms are likely to form! I've seen satellite pics of Australia and seen the AVN lifted index charts for a particular day (nswstorms.com has these) and the thunderstorms formed right where the lifted index was lowest (-2 to -6), so I guess its good.

Just go to the link at bottom of this post and do the following:

1) Select you prefered Control file, I just normally leave it on its default setting where its selected the first one.

2) Select your Option, in this case I just use include variable definitions and units, wouldn't have a clue what the other one does?

3) Select your Plot type, I just use map, once again I wouldn't have a clue what the others do?

4) Click Next Page.

5) Select your Variable, In this case I'm / where going to use the very first one which is 4LFTX, there are many other variables you can look at.

6) Don't worry about Level for 4LFTX, other variables have different levels you can view though. Also don't worry about the extra operation 1 and 2, I wouldn't have a clue what they do either! Can someone enlighten me? It doesn't seem to be needed to be worried about for this anyway.

7) Now select a date and time etc. The dates are sort of current with ours and our days of the week. I just relised something else, even though it may say Wed (Wednesday) in the default title of the plot, depending on the time you may actually be in Thursday, this is I guess because the program is American based. Times are as follows:

....Z...............NZDT (NZ Daylight Savings Time, what were in now!)

00Z...............1.00pm
03Z...............4.00pm (These times here are one day)
06Z...............7.00pm
09Z.............10.00pm

12Z...............1.00am
15Z...............4.00am (These times here are the next day or morning /
18Z...............7.00am times previous to the day / times above)
21Z.............10.00am

(Times I hope are now correct! Thanks TonyT!) (Just in! explanation of dates I hope is now correct to!)

8) Now in Map Projection select Custom in the drop down menu, now follow along horizontally and in the four boxes type:

163.......18......-48......15

That should bring up a nice map of New Zealand!

9) In the Draw dropdown menu select shaded & lines, don't worry about the Contour interval or white boxes. In the Plot size dropdown menu select 1024x800, that brings up a nice larger size map than the other plot sizes.

10) Type in a little title if you want to otherwise just leave it as it says for its default setting.

11) Now click Plot and see the result!

The reason I went through this big explanation is because it took me a while to use the dam thing! (calmly) so... I thought I'd put it up here so you know how to use it without trying to figure out how. But all you guys probably know how to use it allready, just thought I'd share this as I found this little forecasting program pretty cool!

Here's the link!:

http://wesley.wwb.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/pdisp_avn.sh

Enjoy! :) :) ;)

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Last edited by Thunder on Wed 08/10/2003 10:20, edited 4 times in total.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

You might find the READy site a little more user friendly to achive the same thing (and a whole lot more besides, like an animated vertical profile) http://www.arl.noaa.gov/ready/cmet.html

Also, you conversion of Z time to NZDT is wrong, 0Z is 1300NZDT, or 1200NZST. We are 12 hours ahead of Greenwich when on Standard time, 13 hours ahead when on Daylight Savings.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Ahhh!! your right about the time thing TonyT! I copied this thing off metservices site where you click on "Maps" and it has the various maps available etc, I just thought that the UTC times (or Z times) corresponded to the NZST they had alongside them. I then relised after you said that, that above the times it had the headings "charts valid at" and "charts available at" and they were two different times!! (Stupid I know, the obvious wasn't obvious enough!! lol) So yes times are wrong, I think I'll have enough time to edit them. THANKS HEAPS!!

I will check out that site you mentioned!

(Just in! Times / days have been explained a bit better due to the forcasting program being American based)

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Thanks for the link Aaron. looks interesting.

keep in mind that continental meteorology is a bit different to that of our Island climat where instability can often be a meseoscale occurance (localised). Such models could be poor indicators of possible convection.

;)
Willoughby
Site Admin

WeatherOnline maps

Unread post by Willoughby »

have any of you been to the Weather Online expert maps? all avn-modelled. http://expert.weatheronline.net.nz/ I like the isotach, lifted index forecsts. Very good!