'Twisters Cut a Swathe' - SE Hamilton Tornadoes 12th

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Willoughby
Site Admin

'Twisters Cut a Swathe' - SE Hamilton Tornadoes 12th

Unread post by Willoughby »

I really should be investing in a car!! :oops: :twisted:
..And some comm gear lol :oops:

Twisters cut a swathe.. front page news.
By STAFF REPORTERS

Twin tornadoes destroyed a garage and ripped out trees from Hamilton to Eureka yesterday.

Hail, heavy rain and gusting winds caused just as many problems in the city itself.

Eureka sharemilker Nick Jurgens was this morning counting his blessings, and his cows, after a pair of 40m-high tornadoes ripped through his property yesterday afternoon.

One missed his farmhouse by metres, tore the roof off a double garage and tossed it across three paddocks.

The other twister blew over a stand of poplar trees.

Mr Jurgens and another farm worker were in a paddock when they saw the tornadoes approaching about 1.30pm.

He had seen tornadoes before, but yesterday's were the biggest he had encountered.

"We had to hold our ground."

Mr Jurgens said there was nowhere to run had the twisters come toward them.

The farm house was left with a smashed window and a buckled ranchslider.

"Another couple of metres and we would've lost the side of the house," Mr Jurgens said.

Less lucky was his farm bike. "I turned around and my four-wheel bike and trailer was going for a skate across the paddock."

Further north, Ann Coster who lives on Greenhill Rd, northeast of Hamilton, was at home holding her "terrified" dog when thunder, lightning and strong winds hit about 1pm.

"It was incredible," she said.

"A 30 or 40-second storm and it was over."

"It was loud, banging and thumping, it happened so quickly."

A neighbour had seen a tornado go past her house as branches and debris flew through the air.

"There were waves of white rain hitting the paddock and the wind was gusting," Mrs Coster said.

She saw the top branches of a 30m-tall tree bend so far they were hitting the road below.

"I have never seen anything like it. I thought it (the tree) was going to go . . . the next second I heard something crash and the pergola was gone."

Another neighbour, Sharon Wrenn, arrived home to six fallen trees along her driveway.

"It has taken the row out; this is a mammoth clean up job."

MetService spokesman Ramon Oosterkamp said the small, localised storm that hit the Waikato was part of a messy broad trough from the Tasman Sea that moved across the North Island last night.

"The tornado was caused by a very active cold front bringing a burst of highly unstable air," he said.

Tornados occur during thunderstorms when an updraft of air moves very quickly, causing the wind to spin.

Hail forms when rain drops are blown high into the air and freeze. They become heavier and fall but can be blown up again, getting bigger each time until they are heavy enough to fall to the ground.

From midday yesterday Hamilton received 28mm of rain, 9.5mm of that between 1pm and 2pm. A further 11mm fell last night.

Te Kuiti got 23mm, the Kaimai Summit 26mm and Taupo 18.5mm.

The MetService said much of the bad weather had now passed. The forecast is for cloud and some showers today and tomorrow.

EUREKA!! :twisted:
"The tornado was caused by a very active cold front bringing a burst of highly unstable air," he said.
Oh?? :shock: :roll:
The cold front arrived some 13 hours later.
squid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by squid »

what did I tell ya i said in the other post that it would not suprise me if there was a tornado or 2 and look what happened.
check out our online shop

www.delicatedelights.com.au
Willoughby
Site Admin

squid wrote:what did I tell ya i said in the other post that it would not suprise me if there was a tornado or 2 and look what happened.
Except this happened, umm 13 hours before you said that.

With any severe thunderstorm over Basin Waikato, tornadoes are always a moderate risk. 8)

Nick is hopefully emailing me a few photos soon. :D
C-Nimbus

Unread post by C-Nimbus »

oh my god another 'mini tornado' ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe it came from a mini storm that produced mini hail!!!

you see in the waikato all you need is a mini moisture feed, some mini instability and a mini tropopause and your there.

Apparently the storms that produce mini tornado's can actually fit in a mini car, and thats why most people miss them!!!!

i'll go back to work now shall I? :-w
squid

Unread post by squid »

haha at the mini tornado. hey 13 hrs is not to bad for the 1st time :D

C-Nimbus

Unread post by C-Nimbus »

squid wrote:haha at the mini tornado. hey 13 hrs is not to bad for the 1st time :D
just blame it on the time difference between us and perth eh squid!

i still reckon your prediction was pretty damn good, didn't see anyone else on here put their hand up! :oops:

Just read the TVNZ bit, and yes they still called it a mini one.

I'd hate to see the day that Hammy gets a maxi one...coooooor!
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

WOW!
and we travelling up through the waikato only a few hour later....
i said in my post yesterday, I was quite surprised to see just how strong the updrafts were in the waikato yesterday.,.,.,you could easily see the cumulus billow up as you watched it :)
there was aslo flash flooding around litchfield, and so I knew a big CB had gone through there earlier....must have been the same one...
cloud bases certainly looked impressive yesterday....and i am not surprised there was a tornado report....:)
go waikato, again!
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Thanks for that report Foggy.
Yes this was part of that trough line yesterday and not last night Front.
squid

Unread post by squid »

thanks for that C-Nimbus. when I saw the front on radar and on sat, I could see that it was a pretty strong one. Also the fact that there was squally conditions before the front itself came through lead me to believe that there probably would be a tornado in that general area, if not before the front, during its passage. Also the fact that foggy said there was high shear aswell comfirmed this for me.( I call it a gut feeling).

NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Yes, thanks for that report Foggy. I can see a storm chase to the Waikato coming up one day soon.
KiwiWeather

Unread post by KiwiWeather »

Fascinating stuff - thanks Foggy
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Was there a mini twister up there today ???
...heard nothing in the news... but mind you, i'm not really surprised, I was picking fopr something around the coastal Buller region yesterday.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Guess I'll have to come up there one day. ;)

Would be good. Nice news on a new twister in NZ report there Foggy, good stuff. Why doesn't the excitement brace me like it use to? lol. Need to be a tornado down here dammit!! Ahh, I still and always will love thunderstorms though. I've got through the initiall phase of obsessive excitment and am now in a state of something else I guess. hmmm........ State of something else......Cool :P Sort of like homer saying. "hmmm, open faced club sand-wedge". I like what homer said better.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
janewaystv

Unread post by janewaystv »

What about that tornado that struck Halswell, Christchurch in 1983? does anyone remember that? It caused a lot of damage around Halswell.
squid

Unread post by squid »

did not even know that christchurch had a tornado :shock:

janewaystv

Unread post by janewaystv »

19th January 1983. Christchurch NZ.

A destuctive tornado hit the Chch suburb of Halswell. A boat was thrown into a neighbours property, timber and glass left impaled in the sides of houses and walls. Roofs were ripped off, rows of trees skittled and streets left piled with trees and debris. cars and window panes were pitted from hail measuring up to 3cm in diameter.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Some info
18 families had to leave home after a "tornado like wind blasted in Halwell with 9 houses struck just after 8pm and many öthers had roofs blown off.Goes on saying Chief meteroligist Alec Tomlinson says "the wind was almost a tornado,it showed a circular flow and made a very loud roaring noise but it did not quite reach the ground"with 2.5cm hailstones accopanied by a southerly change.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

What about the one in October of 2002 Labour wekend over Tai Tapu.
I believe John got a good view of this from a different angle.
I remember that day clearly I was over in Akaroa for BBQ lunch which didnt come of much because it had started raining heavy.
I remember looking at the clouds knowing it looked thundery and soon enough lightning was becoming visable.
A bolt managed to take a direct hit on the radio tower across the bay then we decided to head back to chch :shock: :D .
We hit a big squall of hail pebble size and very heavy rain though birdlings flat area and I then found out the next day that I went through Tai Tapu 5 minutes after the Tornado.
I remember going through the area to see the destruction it had caused to the trees stripped of twigs and leaves but mainly from the hail.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

My footage plus the photo in the PRESS did show the funnel touch the ground, even though it was for only a very brief period.
At the CWW meeting did Aaron point out the 2nd funnel along that line of cloud. That too looked as though it touched the ground. I don't know where it was, looked possibly around the Rolleston/West Melton area??

JohnGaul
NZTS
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Yes i remember that day very clearly to.! I was outside that day, all day watching those clouds when we had that big thunderstorm come through late afternoon.And that day we had golf ball hail is well. It was a great day and the biggest thunderstorm iv been in since being alive. :D lets hope we get another one of those storms somtime soon.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Weather Watcher
MetService Meteorologist

Unread post by Weather Watcher »

Here's a photo of last weeks Hamilton twister taken by Keith Patterson (of Hamilton)....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Thanks Weather Watcher, great to see that photo.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Cheers WW, :D
Damage photos may take a while from the Times.
squid

Unread post by squid »

wow thanks for the pic WW great job :D

Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

what time did it occur?
as the thunderstorm we drove through south of Tokoroa that afternoon , heading north,(was very black, heavy rain, and some flahes of lightning, at around 2:30pm) might have been the same CB??
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]