Big High here to stay

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I knew you ment lightning Andy! Not to worry, Steven W cleared up what I couldn't figure out!

Also, Andy, the exciting aspect of these storms in the central Otago area when highs are over the country, what aspect of exciting do you like about them, is it the hail? or torrential rain? Do the cloud structures look good?

Thanks

Also I see channel one weather are going for heat showers in the central North Island area this sunday, so yeah............

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

Looks drizzly and yuckky in Auckland this morning typical "SW" high :(
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

I suppose we had a "record" for sunshine-this high has given us 1&1/2 days of sunshine compared to 1 day earlier in the month It is quite sh't'y here today with the cool wind and the cloud today
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Also, Andy, the exciting aspect of these storms in the central Otago area when highs are over the country, what aspect of exciting do you like about them, is it the hail? or torrential rain? Do the cloud structures look good?
Hey Aaron

I work outside most of the time especially in summer. So especially enjoy watching these storms develop, the Cb's start to rise around 11.00 to 12.00 in the morning so you get to enjoy watching the structure come together. Then as the afternoons get hotter thinks start to happen. :)

So yea every bit of the storm is great from start to thunder to heavy rain, and then sun comes back out… ;)

Another warm day here again a bit more cloud but still mostly sunny and mild - temp 23 degrees.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Another sunny day in Chch with only some thin high cloud. Felt like it was going to be a warm day, but a fresh breeze sprung up later in the morning and has persisted, spoiling any chances of summerlike temperatures. Still alot more pleasant than recent weeks.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Another warm day 26 degrees :)

At the moment 24.5 and sunny
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Not a nice day in Auckland, too much stratocumulus. I heard Augie on 97fm today predicting a fine weekend for Auckland. But I can't see why we won't have 7/8 stratocumulus. This is such a great looking high its a shame we might miss the best of the sunshine here. Hope I'm wrong.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Andy, potential for 30C at Alexandra in next few days. I think the coastal cities such as Christchurch and Dunedin will miss out on the heat this weekend as the winds are likely to remain onshore (NE).
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Andy, potential for 30C at Alexandra in next few days. I think the coastal cities such as Christchurch and Dunedin will miss out on the heat this weekend as the winds are likely to remain onshore (NE).
Yes steven looks to be a alot warmer inland than near the coast.

A Northwester ahead of front should warm things up abit, i think the metservice is going for heavy rain on the west coast early next week.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Pretty scundgy anticyclone here Lucky if there has been a total of half an hour of sunshine today and a cool fresh breeze :(
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Re the Otago summer Thunderstorms.

The Lammerlaw ranges are a breeding ground for them in December.
The moist seabreeze converges with the drier westerly over that area.
Also hill country through to Lawerence. Same effect.

They tend to be less common further inland where sea breezes can't penetrate and the air is drier. Exceptions to the rule are when a moist easterly quarter flow advects moisture inland as was the case early December last year.

:)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Thanks Andy and cool info there Steven on the Otago summer time thunderstorms.

As some might know I like hummers heaps, I saw the one here in Chch yesterday and it drove right pass me on Moorhouse Ave, what a sight! probably won't see that for another 3/4 of a year! So I now have another dream wich will become reality to add to my list, (this recent talk about these Otago summer time Ts has inspired me) it is when I get my hummer to be able to go down to the Otago area and chase thunderstorms in summer, can't wait! Give me three years and it might happen, otherwise definately within the next five! I dam well hope so!

I went to the Queenstown / Alexandra area once when I was little, from what I can remember it was a great place, looking foward to going back once the hummer is here ($140,000 dollars later, crap! now I got no money!). Just kidding ;) , I know I'll get there though.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Impressive yellow sunset in Invercargill tonight,maybe rain and gales in a few days time? Large wave cloud over us at dusk .Steady westerly breeze of 20kts sprung up also at dusk.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

NZstorm wrote:

Last year there was quite a prolonged spell for instability Thunderstorms from 30th November to 4th December. Isolated spectacular heat thunderstorms developed daily in this period over Southland/Otago.
Dewpiont temperatures over the region for this period where upto 15C.
So very moist. Moisture does amazing things to the stability of the atmosphere in summer when there is good thermal heating. Cb tops during that period where upto 12000m(40,000ft). Would have been great clouds to observe.

Yes I was down in Central Otago then and it was quite warm and humid and every day from mid morning the clouds went up. There were various thunderstorms around including the one I vidoed in Wanaka on the 3rd December

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Cloudy and cool with wall to wall cloud as usual So much for "fine" weather forecasted by the media during the week :(
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Cloudy and cool with wall to wall cloud as usual So much for "fine" weather forecasted by the media during the week :(
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

As expected, overcast stratocumulus. I don't see it clearing today. ;)
tich

Unread post by tich »

Like yesterday morning, it has become warm and summerlike in Chch this morning. A breeze has just sprung up, but unlike yesterday, it hasn't yet made much impact on the temperature - just a drop of less than a degree, according to Jeffsweather online station. Let's hope it doesn't cool down like it did yesterday.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Another warm day here in Alexandra, already 25 degrees, with a little scatted high cloud, might reach the high 20's this afternoon.

:) :) :) Summer is here aleast for a couple of days
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Temperature now 24
No wind and clear skies.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Cooled down now to 21.
Thin layer of high cloud.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Auckland, overcast stratocumulus, light SW breeze, 18C.

Looking ahead, This high pressure ridge is set to hang around for next week. Weather will turn humid in the north from about Tuesday with showers likely.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Weather here still rather Sh"t"y compared to the rest of the country ;)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes a fine day here, that NE seems to spring up quite often though cooling things down ever so slightly. A little bit (AND I MEAN tiny) of Cu inland today from heating of the plains. I see channel one weather are going for inland clouds tomorrow to.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

We must have got the lowest maximum in the north island and in the 20% of the lowest in the south island today
I didnt watch the weather tonight but judging by the pattern