The leading edge

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
sw_windbow
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The leading edge

Unread post by sw_windbow »

According to MetService, the southwest tip of Stewart Island is warmer now (or 40 minutes ago) than Cape Reinga. In fact at 9 degrees, South West cape is the warmest place in the country, except for Hick's Bay (which is somehow on 14).

Dunedin right now is 7 degrees and warming. Such a nice change after the icy daylight hours.

Auckland is only 6.

This is a rare winter moment.
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

only 2 to 3 oC in the auckland area this morning with a light southerly blowing ...... :shock: ...but a sunny day is in store :)
actauly, the 2.5oC we got this morning here is the coldest I have recorded here in the 2 years at this new location (ridge top)....in frosts we were not this cold....
we still had a 5 to 10 knot S with that 2.5oC, i.e that was the temperature of the actual polar air mass moving through this morning!
if there was any shower activity, there could have been sleet here!
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Stewart Island is warmer now (or 40 minutes ago) than Cape Reinga.
Very dry air has moved on to the North (dewpoints down to 0C). The air cools quickly in the calm clear conditions like last night, light frost here.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

On last nights soundings, Auckland City (NZWP 1200Z) had a lower thickness (colder atmosphere) than Macquarie Island way down in the subantartic. The tricks of shifting airmasses.