Storm over NZ, Aug 6th-10th

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
KiwiWeather

Unread post by KiwiWeather »

WOW !

You would need to be wearing waders.

Great pic's
tich

Unread post by tich »

Rain in central Chch isn't heavy (in fact only drizzly), but it's been persistent since Sunday evening, along with cold strong southerlies. Lower Heathcoate flooding most likely due to the combination of rain and high tides - Avon River in central city is up, but nothing out of the usual.

Ironically I've just watched a documentary about global warming, narrated by a man who nearly became a US President 6 years ago.
spike_01
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by spike_01 »

Interesting to see the pics...

Up here it has been raining since Sunday as well, but no flooding in the Horowhenua... Feels like there is new snow on the Tararuas but ya cant see them due to cloud..
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

tich wrote:Rain in central Chch isn't heavy (in fact only drizzly), but it's been persistent since Sunday evening, along with cold strong southerlies. Lower Heathcoate flooding most likely due to the combination of rain and high tides - Avon River in central city is up, but nothing out of the usual.

Ironically I've just watched a documentary about global warming, narrated by a man who nearly became a US President 6 years ago.
We could do with a bit more "localization" of that!! :? ;)

Warmest recorded July in temp series for England-Wales, Scotland and N Ireland apparently - may also be their hottest month overall, not clear on that.
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

Thought I'd share a pic of a nice early morning cb in Auckland - it fell apart about 5 minutes later after the picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Lots of flooding here in christchurch, as iv heard a few roads are closed off and theres been a couple of land slips too. I was at my course today and a massive flood had accured down a walk way with about 5 cm or more the depth of water. Also have seen parts of hagley park been flooded too :D Not sure how many mm has fallen since sunday night. one to keep and eye on ;)
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

(btw) nice photos Andew ;)
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Cameo1

Unread post by Cameo1 »

tich wrote:Rain in central Chch isn't heavy (in fact only drizzly), but it's been persistent since Sunday evening, along with cold strong southerlies. Lower Heathcoate flooding most likely due to the combination of rain and high tides - Avon River in central city is up, but nothing out of the usual.

ooooh... Is that movie out now? :shock: I've been waiting for it for months. Al Gore wasn't it? He's great, informing ignorant Americans and a lot of other people about the impending "point of no return" and the incredible distruction humans have caused. :?
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

watched TV 1 2 nite
i was surprised to see how much flooding and damage is occuring around the lower NI !!!
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes the rain continued today heavy at times with a hint of sleet.
First time I have seen water logged paddocks since last year I would say a good 50-60mm has fallen not bad on my rainfall estimates from my warnings. 8)
When I heard the Heathcote had burst I thought the Avon could be next It has been quite some time since the Kaiapoi river has burst.
Worst I have seen is the river flooding into the rugby grounds but thats because there's a crap stop bank on that side.
A good soaking although slowly easing up out now with occasional heavy dolops on the roof.
Still got a bitsy few days ahead with off and on showers but worst is over.
Next week another biggy in the Tasman 984 on GFS.
This is the surface flooding Tornadoman was talking about the pathway is there somewhere.
Cheers
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
tich

Unread post by tich »

I opened the front door earlier this evening to the sight of a full moon and stars. :) Must be getting better, though I imagine there should be some more light showers to come.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

As there was flooding in Christchurch, was there a Severe Weather Watch issued? I can't remember seeing one.
They did previously issue a high rain/snow potential in an earlier severe weather bulletin.
What is the criteria for Severe rain warnings for Christchurch.?
Our back yard is flooded. :evil:

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

As there was flooding in Christchurch, was there a Severe Weather Watch issued? I can't remember seeing one.
They did previously issue a high rain/snow potential in an earlier severe weather bulletin.
What is the criteria for Severe rain warnings for Christchurch.?
I don't think the rain was particularly heavy at any stage, but it was certainly persistent - no let up from Sunday evening until late this afternoon. Jeff's Hillmorton station recorded about 35mm yesterday and 39mm today, though totals I believe would've been higher on the eastern Port Hills. But nothing compared to what some North Island places have been getting in recent days.
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

Hmmmm All this interesting weather up North.
Its been an ok day down here cool a little drizzle and thats about it.
Berkshire North of Te Anau west of Hokitika.
squid

Unread post by squid »

gosh would have needed to get a boat out :D ;)
check out our online shop

www.delicatedelights.com.au
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Jeff's Hillmorton station recorded about 35mm yesterday and 39mm today,
Thats heavy rain fall for Chch even if it did fall over two days.
Looks wintry for the South Island at the weekend.
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

Early thunderstorm over the eastern Coromandel this morning..
tich

Unread post by tich »

Thats heavy rain fall for Chch even if it did fall over two days.
Maybe, but here's the MetService criteria for a severe weather earning, which i don't believe Chch reached:

MetService will issue a Severe Weather Warning whenever there is an expectation that any of the following weather conditions will occur within the next 24 hours:

Widespread* rainfall greater than 50 mm within 6 hours or 100 mm within 24 hours;

Widespread* snowfall below 1000 metres on the North Island or 500 metres on the South Island with a snow depth of 10 centimetres within 6 hours or 25 centimetres within 24 hours;

Widespread* severe gales with a minimum mean speed of 90 km/hr or frequent gusts exceeding 110 km/hr.

*"Widespread" means over an area of 1000 square kilometres or more.
Andrew Massie

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

You're right, we didn't reach those criteria.... Maybe they need to revise the rainfall to 50mm+ in 24 hours..

And thanks to the people who thanked me for the photos! ;) :D
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

In the case of the Heathcote river, it's the tidal effects that count presumably...has only a small "rise margin" I suppose.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Thanks Ben for that.
It was a Weather Watch I was looking for or even maybe an Advisory.
I did think some of the showers were 'very moisterous' or very wet and as we don't get moisterous showers as what other parts of the country can get, I thought this event was rather wet.
I recorded 103.1mm here in Somerfield for the total event from Sunday night to 7:30am this morning. I had to empty my rain-gauge twice during a 24 hour day recording period. Never done that before.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Andrew Massie

RWood wrote:In the case of the Heathcote river, it's the tidal effects that count presumably...has only a small "rise margin" I suppose.
No... the tide didn't have a huge effect... Quite the opposite, really. Because the Heathcote runs along the base of the port hills (and particularly below these beautiful new subdivisions that don't have decent stormwater drainage)(or did before man came along) the run off from the hills creates the flooding.
This is the 3rd time I can remember this happening, and it's always the same houses in the same part of town!
The first time was the "big snow" of 92 and the second was the "Lyttelton marina destroying storm" (can't remember the year of that)

:D Andrew
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Thanks for clarifying that - they never learn! :? Gives lots of people a chance to blame the wetaher for everything of course...
Andrew Massie

RWood wrote:Thanks for clarifying that - they never learn! :? Gives lots of people a chance to blame the wetaher for everything of course...
No worries! ;)