Thunder Watch

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Photo of top of cloud,from sea level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Another shot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

and another hail photo!.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Excellent cb photos Deano.

6pm satellite shows a strong cb just to the south of Banks peninsula.
Looks like BP and perhaps eastern hill suburbs of Christchurch will be affected by this thunderstorm/hail.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Great pictures Dean, I've seen about 3 or 4 Cb's from my location here in Southshore but Bank's Peninsula is blocking out alot of the view, unfortunately can't get restricted till January so I'm stuck here at present.

I'll put up some pics of what I got to see later on, hopefully something will drift further my way sooner or later but it's cooling down so my excitment feelings are getting lower although the sun has just come out again so who knows. ;)

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Must be some great lightning shots from Akaroa this evening.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

Big squall just gone through now with gales looked WSW due to it being quite dark now
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Here's what I've been able to see today, as you can see it's only Cb tops etc.

Oh, and in my previous post when I say restricted I mean my restricted license.

I would imagine offshore from Akaroa would look good tonight, I wounder if I'll get to see anything? (lightning that is).

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
tich

Unread post by tich »

Great shots Deano and Aaron. Nothing at all (lightning wise) visible from Akaroa area yet - that storm to the south must've gone offshore. The cloud darkened to the southwest about 6PM, but moved away to the east. 600-700 metre hills obstruct viewing of approaching (or not) cloud formations. Still just partly cloudy out here. Seems like Aaron got a better view of that cb cloud. Just goes to show that cbs can still look spectacular even from a geat distance.[/quote]
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Went up onto the roof and looked out to sea and imediatly saw a flash from a Cb offshore, it got me excited and I thought I'd wait for the next one to see if the frequency of the flashes was enough so I could try my hand at night time lightning photography, 1 minute went by, 2, 3, 4.........10, 15, you get the picture nothing more happened, bugger! Off to bed!

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
tich

Unread post by tich »

There were a few spits shortly after my last message, but later in the night (sometime between midnight and dawn) there was a period of showers. These were briefly heavy, but I didn't notice any thunder or lightning. Back in Chch now - no sign of cb/thunder activity yet, though forecast for this evening. (clouds look different today - not so unstable in appearance)
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

The forecasted squally southerly change seems to be slowing moving up the South Island this evening judging by the webcams on the Snowco website.Still a moderate westerly here in Ashburton with increasing cloud building from the south.Snowing also at the Hermitage in Mt Cook village this evening.
Cheers.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I'm back after an absence yesterday.
Good to receive those reports/pictures of CB activity off the Canterbury Coast yesterday. Thankyou Deano and Aaron. I did see those off shore clouds but as a keen westerly was the main playing factor, I thought that they may not come onshore. However, it looked as thought there was an off-shore convergence. The barometer was very low so anything could of happened.
As far as tonight goes, I'm not putting out a thunder-watch as the keen easterly we were getting today has faded away and there dosen't seem to be much on the radar. As I have said before timing is an important factor for thunderstorm development in Canterbury and when it comes through it will be too late. The sky at sunset looked too stable anyway.

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

The front came and went without any rain, let alone thunderstorm activity, in the Chch area. From the radar, it looks like only outer Banks Peninsula got showers from the front, though North Canterbury seems to be getting some more this morning.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Hi Tich

I woke up to those showers early morning on the 3rd (about 3 or 4am?) and it was heavy for a bit with a little hail I think but no thunder or lightning here either. Those Cb's the other day were good, I beleive they didn't come any further north because the flow was to westerly and that's why they drifted out to sea just to the south of Banks Peninsula.

Looks like you Dean got the best of the action from those Cb's the other day, I'll get my other photos developed soon from my SLR camera which I zoomed in on those Cb tops, I'm hoping they come out well.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Woke up to some loud thunder this morning, this was about 8 am. 1 burst lasted for almost 1 minute. Very windy over night as well. It is raining now.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Supposed to be thundery about and west of the Alps, plus Otago nad Southland today. 10AM radar shows quite alot of rain about the Waitaki Valley/Hunter Hills area, almost reaching the coast. But it's fine, warm, and sunny here in Chch this morning - though with a gusty northwesterly.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Winds have been strong to gale all morning here, but now full on gale force from the northwest, lots of dust in the air, sea very choppy, a few bits blowing off trees, but nothing serious yet.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Gale northwesterly winds throughout Mid Canterbury as well,drove through a dust storm on the way to Christchurch around 11.00 where visibility was down to 1-2 metres.Back in Ashburton now and the wind has picked up again after a band of westerly rain.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Gale northwesterly winds throughout Mid Canterbury as well,drove through a dust storm on the way to Christchurch around 11.00 where visibility was down to 1-2 metres.Back in Ashburton now and the wind has picked up again after a band of westerly rain.
That must explain the patch of red over coastal mid-Canterbury on the 1PM radar. Another patch of red over the Waipara area at 4PM. Quite significant to get this in a northwesterly, though I doubt (but wouldn't totally discount) any thunderstorm activity east of the foothills. No rain in Chch, though it has clouded over in the last few hours.

Probably (felt like it) gale-force northwesterlies in Chch from about midday to midfternoon, but the wind has eased back by now.
tich

Unread post by tich »

The weather has cleared, but the wind has strengthened. (back to just fresh again)