Thunder Watch

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Thunder Watch

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

A bit of a gamble here but Aaron, keep your eyes out for thunder Thursday poss Friday AT THE MOMENT :) (source ECMWF)

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

I heard a forecast today suggesting the possibility of afternoon cloud buildups in inland South Island leading to showers. Though probably not warm enough yet for such scenarios (under high pressure systems) to lead to thunderstorms. (though it did get up to 27C in Alexandra today, according to TV1 Weather)
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Though probably not warm enough yet for such scenarios (under high pressure systems) to lead to thunderstorms. (though it did get up to 27C in Alexandra today, according to TV1 Weather)
Yes tich it has been warm for a bout the last week, with temps reaching the high 20's.

So there could be a chance for some Cbs to develop come wed, thur.

Any way what do others think? :)

Andy
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I think there is certainly the chance of Isolated thunderstorms ahead of the southerly change in Otago and possibly Canterbury Thursday afternoon. I think these are more likely near the coast rather than well inland.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

A lot also has to do with timing, the Southerly change is due late evening, Thursday, so at the moment, I think I will flag this thunder-watch away. :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Could be lightning flickers along the Southern Alps over the next few days, Aaron, so keek an eye out. :)
Also in western regions of the NI including Auckland.
:( ( for Michael!)

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Potential for significant thunderstorms in the west of the country later in the week. :)

The front currently approaching NZ has lost its fizz. I don't expect much rain from it in Auckland.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

[quote="NZstorm"] The front currently approaching NZ has lost its fizz. I don't expect much rain from it in Auckland

Hope so we dont get lots of rain I have seen far too much rain lately ;)
At least we had 2 or 3 good days although rain did threaten @ times :)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Will do John. I just hope that the lightning is more frequent and not like 3 to 5 minutes apart. Hopefully some good pics soon from up north!

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

I see they had thunderstorms in the Tararuas today according to the weather reports on TV this evening.
Could be interesting in the next couple of days in western areas.
Aaron, if are you heading to the West coast you might get some good results.!!
There were strong convergence cells here in Christchurch this afternnoon just to the south of the city. Of course it came to nothing. :(
...boring :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

[quote="NZ Thunderstorm Soc"]
...boring :(
RAIN ;)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Hi John

Yeah, I was out at near Wigram today and noticed a couple of Cb's about produced from convergence as you say. I was looking at one dark base in particular waiting for a fork to pop out of it but nothing eventuated, there could of been something behind the port hills? I sort of saw the anvil and mammantis forms could be seen on the underside of it but nothing spectacular. Some of the big Cu forms looked cool (just before Cb). Out at Wigram it felt relatively warm and humid, despite alot of cloud cover (although sun did come through at times), when looking at roofs of cars you could see the heat rising from them and the heat warped the air as it rose, I guess it was a sign of heat? Oh why did I say that! Anyway!

Doubt I'll be going to the West Coast anytime soon John, I wish! Once again, hopefully it comes over enough to be seen from this side of the alps.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The front looks largely weak this morning. The pre-frontal airmass is just not mild and moist enough. The dewpoint temperature at Hokitika this morning is 8C. To dry. Where there is some moisture(in the north Tasman sea some large cb's have developed). The surface dewpoint at Norfolk island last night was 13C, this morning it has lifted to 18C.
The extent to which thundery rain gets into northern NZ today will be governed by how much of this moist air can come down ahead of the front. ;)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Thunder Watch

Yes Steven I noticed it was rather weak and latest satellite picture shows not much happening despite a 'falling glass'.
Maybe interesting to see what happens, that's why ...
I'm now putting a thunder-watch out for Canterbury tomorrow because MetServive have forecasted the possibilty of thunderstorms especially inland, in the afternoon or evening!
Aaron be ready!

JohnGaul
NZTS
[/b]
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

John be ready! You've got a video camera!.

Hopefully if things happen they happen later in the afternoon as I'll be busy most of the day. I'll take some pics with the digi when time allows and with my bigger camera if the skies produce some goods.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

A rumble of thunder just west of Ashburton,I will go and investigate.
A few cloud buildups developing.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Some nice build ups bubbling away over the hill country of North Canty this afternoon (1.45PM) looking like it will turn to showers and possibly some electrical activity - there is a good cool E breeze blowing in Amberley, and the clouds are getting ever darker.

I noticed 2 showers developing and precipitating yesterday afternoon, one over Oxford and another over the hills north of Amberley, with a few light spots here around 4pm. No sign of thunder though.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Some nice build ups bubbling away over the hill country of North Canty this afternoon (1.45PM) looking like it will turn to showers and possibly some electrical activity - there is a good cool E breeze blowing in Amberley, and the clouds are getting ever darker.
By the look of the cloud to the north of Chch, you should be getting a storm right now Tony. The dark sky covers the whole northern horizon, even though it's difficult to get a good view from where I live.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Looks like the storm cell has weakened and is moving offshore, though it still looks unsettled to the north and northwest. It has clouded over in central Chch and feels cooler, though still dry.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Constant rumbling of thunder to the west of Ashburton for the past 45 minutes,some heavier drops of rain now falling,no lightning observed as yet.
Not very organised today,batteries are flat in the vid cam,shucks.
tich

Unread post by tich »

The sun's back out in central Chch, but the cloud looks quite spectacular to the east (offshore) - probably due to the sunlight on it.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

4.20pm, didnt get anything out of it in the end, wind shifted to the north and the clouds stopped developing. :(
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Awesome thunderstorm inland from Ashburton,I followed the storm right through to Rakaia where it is now heading towards the coast.The storm had it all lightning,large hail that fell in a strip and heavy rain.Might have caught some lightning action on camera.
Also some photos to follow.
Cheers.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

You can see the localised storm on the 4.00pm Rakaia radar that was travelling in a southwest direction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Storm photos........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.