Another burst of cold early next week.

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

using google earth, Bulls comes up as 200 ft asl,next to the river
marton 550 feet, being up above the river flats to the west
the old sand dunes show up very nice on google earth just to the west of bulls..
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Flock House is close to Bulls (old Met. site) and is 9m asl - so how reliable is the Google estimate?
Manukau heads obs

we go through bulls a few times a year on the way to wanganui...(and then through Marton), and so I know the area reasonably well
sure, Bulls is near the river, but its still a fair way in land, and 10 m is a very low altitude for that far in land, even on a flood plain, and so I would tend to go more with the 200 feet than 33 feet!
i know with google earth it shows the height of where I live spot on :)
but otherwise, no, i dont know how accurate it is...
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Interesting, I'll take your word for it - but there must be somewhere this can be confirmed online? Flock house is a few minutes out of Bulls and may be nearer to the ocean.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Down to -2°C here in Hamilton City (new record for me) and the airport got down to -3°C at 6am.

Taupo got down to -4°C at 3am.

Should be more tonight.
tich

Unread post by tich »

I don't know why MetService kept forecasting the snow level in the centrel NI as being 600m, when it was obviously lower than that, with reports of snow in Stratford, near Wanganui, and Tokoroa, as well as the Rangitikei area.

Still the odd rogue shower crossing BP and then heading out to the east of Chch this morning. Southerly has eased but hasn't completely died out - probably why there was only a light frost.
squid

Unread post by squid »

what was everyones totals for this event rain/snow wise
check out our online shop

www.delicatedelights.com.au
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

RWood wrote:Interesting, I'll take your word for it - but there must be somewhere this can be confirmed online? Flock house is a few minutes out of Bulls and may be nearer to the ocean.
According to a GPS topo map I have, Bulls is situated between the 40m and 60m contour lines - the 40 m contour line can be seen close to the river.

Flock House is 12km as the crow flies from Bulls, and is below the 20m contour line.

Cheers,

G
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Thanks for clearing that up! :)
Manukau heads obs

i tried a topo map online, but i could not see the numbers of the contour lines....so tried googleearth.....

thanks graeme for finding the data....wow, and so they had snow falling at 60m??

i have reports of "nearly as big as golf ball" hail from around waiuku yesterday morning...
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

not a bad day in good old Christchurch! warmed up qiute nicley. 9C the high today, still saw some distant snow clouds over the port hills, bp way untill lunch time it cleard up. going down to the negatives for sure tonight!
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
tich

Unread post by tich »

thanks graeme for finding the data....wow, and so they had snow falling at 60m??
I heard about it from a Trademe poster reporting snow as they were driving between Marton and Bulls. Ties in with Wanganui online newspaper article mentioning snow in rural areas not far from the city. Other Tradme forum posters reported a brief light snowfall in Tokoroa, hail and sleet in Rotorua, and (early this morning) snow falling somewhere in the King Country about 25 minutes south of Te Kuiti. Definitely a very cold outbreak.
ScottyD

Unread post by ScottyD »

Well mum sent me an update from Welly. She said that there were reports of snow in Wainuiomata. I'm guessing she meant the hills around Wainui, rather than falling in the township. Then again, if it was snowing in all these other north island centres, who knows!
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:Looks like we could well get your thunderstorms John, I'm not complaining!

Later this evening/tonight as that trough moves through. More towards the coast being the types of Cb's they are. But yeah, some hail and thunder looking good for tonight. That persistent pre NW flow isn't there like when I looked at it last time. Also tottot are up (55-60 on LAPS/GFS), really cold upper (-35 @ 500mb), nice good gusty SW wind shift coming through. SST are around 9-10° so things looking ok and some storms should form.

So hopefully something tonight! Although I may have to go to bed! Dammit!

Ciao
Hi Aaron, sorry for getting back to you so late on this item ... owing to other things I have only been able to quickly check things on the forum, which has been a bit of a nuisance as this event has been a rather cold one... but anyway, I had cancelled my 3 for Monday as I thought is was too cloudy and there was no chance of a thunderstorm event .
No evendentual convection looked possible :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes perhaps the cloud was at fault, I have a feeling it's not the main reason why storms didn't result in the end.

In the hours leading up to the ever hopefull "trough" things started looking unorganised if that makes any sense. No sudden increase of wind speed with the trough. The windspeed just gradually increased throughout the evening.

Something was a bit sloppy in the end and not sharp and abrubt like all good thunderstorms should be. Something along those lines.

There were a few strikes off the coast that night on the tracker though but nothing really that good, a bit too far offshore for us to see. The cloudiness factor didn't help there.

Ciao
Aaron Wilkinson
C-Nimbus

Unread post by C-Nimbus »

Just so you all know, invercaggers was fantastic, wonderful weather early in the week, beautiful sunshine albeit a bit nippy, couldn't see any snow but never mind.

.....and i still managed to get me bit of blue cod from wendys roast!

Still tho, it cant compare to the blue dome day we have here in auckers today....stunning!

weekend looks interesting doesn't it! its gunna be really really quite michael :?
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Yes - Wendy's - nice food in a hurry. ;) :D
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Yeah yeah! Enjoyed our 4 hour fine spell for another week :lol:
And already SW again in tomorrows forecast :evil:
C-Nimbus wrote:weekend looks interesting doesn't it! its gunna be really really quite michael :?
C-Nimbus

Unread post by C-Nimbus »

Michael wrote:Yeah yeah! Enjoyed our 4 hour fine spell for another week :lol:
And already SW again in tomorrows forecast :evil:
C-Nimbus wrote:weekend looks interesting doesn't it! its gunna be really really quite michael :?
:lol: :lol: :lol: nice one Michael :P
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Only brief southwesterlies within the next 7 days or so Michael, with winds in from the NW quarter, clearing dry southerlies on Monday, then it's either dry SE or SSW from then.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

How disappointing for him ;)