Fine & Dry

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Great start to today warmed up fast too it was 7C at 8am and 9C by 8:30am.
Looks like we reached 19C and that was until Midday until that cool blustery NE kicked in.
If the NE didn't come in could have seen 22-23C easily.
Perhaps a shot tomorrow although some strong to gale winds to battle with while walking down to get lunch ;) .
Huge Typhoon about to aproach Wake Island everyone has been evacuated from the island as it only sits at 6m.
135kts gusting 165kts cat 6 :? 8) certainly beats Monica anyway.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Matt Townsend
Banned
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Matt Townsend »

Jason It only 300km/hr winds under that storm by i used the calculator. 165knots=305km/hr

Cyclone Larry and Monica both are way over 320km/hr winds.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Larry only had winds which reached 290kmh i am sure many other forum members remember it clearly.
Plus Monica was over an area of sea which didn't affect any major islands or land masses.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
squid

Unread post by squid »

Larry has winds of 290km/h as Jasestrm said and monica has estimated gusts to 350km/h even though none of these speeds were actually recorded upon land fall.
check out our online shop

www.delicatedelights.com.au
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Yeah, not a bad day today toped up 19C today.That would of been round the morning though.But i was doing work experience and when that NE wind hit, it got very cold.
Especially working out on the beach, brrrr. All and all it was a nice day.

cheers
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
janewaystv

Unread post by janewaystv »

NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

RWood, I got the year wrong. Must have been 1992. A humdinger of an El Nino. I bet the sunshine figures were very low that year.

Medium term charts look for above average temps for much of NZ, particularly in eastern areas were daytime temps are likely to top 20C.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

spwill wrote:Apart from this afternoon (clouded over with cool SW) the weather has been very nice here since Friday, even some Lightning sat night so no complaints from me. :D
I have to dispute that. Tuesday, Wednesday and this morning have been breezy and chilly with constant anticyclonic gloom and drizzle at times, mainly out west.

This observed from my office in Newton (central city) and home in Swanson. Miserable training runs at lunchtimes, including a very cold one to the summit of Mt Eden yesterday

Last 'very nice ' day was monday
Christchurch Rocks
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZstorm wrote:RWood, I got the year wrong. Must have been 1992. A humdinger of an El Nino. I bet the sunshine figures were very low that year.

Medium term charts look for above average temps for much of NZ, particularly in eastern areas were daytime temps are likely to top 20C.
Correct - but note that the end-1997 period was a strongly developing El Nino, and Auckland's sun wasn't much below par. 1992 was in a longrunning El Nino (not as strong late in the year as in most of 1991 and early 1992, but Pinatubo effects had kicked in by then to affect the weather as well, and the El Nino persisted for a long time). For the North Island and part of the SI as well the last 5 months of 1992 were very cloudy - generally a record low over that period as well as for the whole year in the case of the NI. This was particularly so for the last 4 months. November was milder but the other 3 very cool. We were on a driving trip around the NI for a couple of weeks or so in November and the cloudiness was a disappointment. Didn't feel anything like the end of spring.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Nice day in in the river city, 16°C and passing clouds.

Looks like the sea breeze is in early over Hawke's Bay.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Cold 14 degrees here and of course 8/8 with that wind
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Frankly I'm getting fed up of reading forecasts this week that say fine or cloudy and have no mention of rain. For the third day in a row it is light rain up here and anyone who looked out the window could have predicted it hours ago. :evil:

Note to metservice...should Auckland be part of the Northland forecast? Cos you are getting it right for them!
Christchurch Rocks
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

I'm sure I heard showers mentioned in the TV forecast the last two evenings?

I don't think Awkers have all that much to complain about this winter - you didn't get hit by any of the season's major events (did you?) and both June and July had plenty of extra sun. Don't have data for August. ;)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

sun teased us for 1 hour before returning back to 8/8 and wind :roll:
Bring on the NW here
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

stop the lying michael
and stop saying its 8/8 cloud conditions (i.e completly overcast) the first bit of cloud that drifts past your window
there is only brief cloudy periods today

i am sick of the moaning that goes on,and honestly posts like yours michael make this forum hardly worth visiting

and razor, how about using your own fine tuning of the forecast, and that if you are north of the harbour bridge, then sometimes you have to weight the forecast more in line with northlands
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Yes mostly fine today in our SW flow unlike yesterday when it was mostly overcaste with late drizzle in our SW flow. Can be hard to give a good forecast for Auckland in these anticyclonic South westerlies.
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

spwill wrote:..Can be hard to give a good forecast for Auckland in these anticyclonic South westerlies.
Tell me about it! Interestingly forecasts based on GFS at the end of last week were pretty accurate for the cloud/drizzle from memory...
I often find that a lot; That the GFS models for here, especially under an inversion, are often better 5-6 days out than 1-2.. what do others find..?
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Manukau heads observer wrote:stop the lying michael
and stop saying its 8/8 cloud conditions (i.e completly overcast) the first bit of cloud that drifts past your window
there is only brief cloudy periods today

i am sick of the moaning that goes on,and honestly posts like yours michael make this forum hardly worth visiting

and razor, how about using your own fine tuning of the forecast, and that if you are north of the harbour bridge, then sometimes you have to weight the forecast more in line with northlands
The truth test will be the winter stats- even if August was a bit cloudier (haven't seen any Auck. data yet), I predict it will top the "5 main" centres for sunshine this winter (unless pipped by Hamilton).
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Warm to start September (like last year).. up to 18°C here! Dewpoint is 10C.

SE Australia experiencing some very warm weather also.. the heat through over NW Aus has 'started' early and should send Perth hot easterlies early coming up. So not at all good news over there.. looks like Sep will still be anti-cyclonic.. and warmer too? But a look at extended NCEP suggests a cold change is possible to probable late next week.

Should see a few convective heat showers next week inland, in between the departing high and an incoming tasman northwesterly low. :)
Cameo1

Unread post by Cameo1 »

Hey guys. Can someone please inform the manager of the website http://www.thunderstorm.co.nz that there is an error on the weather reports page; its says 11 October 2006
Central Auckland Tornado Damage, instead of 2005. Ok? :D
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Cameo1 wrote:Hey guys. Can someone please inform the manager of the website http://www.thunderstorm.co.nz that there is an error on the weather reports page; its says 11 October 2006
Central Auckland Tornado Damage, instead of 2005. Ok? :D
It is user NZstorm on here.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Repeat of thursday here without the wind.Will it struggle to 14° :roll:
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Manukau heads observer wrote:]

Well I work in the CBD and live in the Waitakere Ranges, neither of which I c=would call 'north of the bridge' and 3 days in a row I got rained on last week on days wehre rain was not forecast, both in the city and out west.

So....I'm not normally one to bitch and moan ...but this week was very gloomy and I can understand Michaels frustration just this once.

The fabled anticyclonic gloom contiues today, having spent most of the day at Bethels under 8/8 but thankfully no rain.
Christchurch Rocks
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

When these Wellington based forecasters give out a correct forecast as in this situation its fine in Wellington and they keep telling us about the fine weather from this high
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

there is an error on the weather reports page
Ooops! :oops: Thanks Cameo1 for letting me know. Webmaster has been sacked forthwith!