Another warm week on the way

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZstorm

Another warm week on the way

Unread post by NZstorm »

Next week should be mild to warm again over NZ with a northerly looking to establish itself. This northerly pattern will be a conveyor belt of milder air onto NZ with high temperatures possible again in inland parts of the SI. Humidities should be on the up too. ;)
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

It should be good :)
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

great to hear:

Bring back the warm temps !!!

Alot cooler today only getting to 14.6, but most of the time it was a round 10-11 degrees ;)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Its cloudy here this morning in Auckland and looks likely to go beebop as the SSW freshens up during the day here ;)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Can see some cbs to the SW of here in the clear patch would be out to sea Its probably some from the cold air from the south just off the coast as its cold in Wellington today so they may be some spillover from cookstrait
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Michael, the cb's will be low topped and quite weak. Isolated tops to 4500m possible today. Higher atmosphere is stable.

Max temp today was 19.7C. A milder day than I had expected.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

This Labour WE weather is boring compared to Labour WE last year when I spotted and videoed a tornado just south of Christchurch on the Sunday 27th.
Could be a frost tonight if the remaining cloud clears tonight.
It should be interesting with this trough developing in the Tasman Sea next week.
I say humidities will be up here in Canterbury with lots of low cloud and moderate to fresh NE. As the trough is not expected to move much , it could be a 'blocking low' scenario if there's such a thing!!???

JohnGaul
NZTS
Weather Watcher
MetService Meteorologist
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Weather Watcher »

Hi John - Did the tornado you saw south of Christchurch last October do any damage? I'm just curoius as the local media didn't report any, and none of your coments have mentioned any damage. The tornado looked impressive in the photos I have seen, but with no damage reports I guess it was only F0 (at best!).
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Weather Watcher wrote:Hi John - Did the tornado you saw south of Christchurch last October do any damage? I'm just curoius as the local media didn't report any, and none of your coments have mentioned any damage. The tornado looked impressive in the photos I have seen, but with no damage reports I guess it was only F0 (at best!).
Hi WW

No the tornado didn't do much damage except for a few twigs scattered here and there. It was over fields between Lincoln and the TaiTapu area and only briefly touched down. Hence only a F0 on the Fujita Scale.
If it has been over a built up area like the Halswell tornado of 1983, it may of been a different story!

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

Next week should be mild to warm again over NZ with a northerly looking to establish itself. This northerly pattern will be a conveyor belt of milder air onto NZ with high temperatures possible again in inland parts of the SI. Humidities should be on the up too.
It hasn't been a warm week so far in Chch and Banks Peninsula. Today has been often drizzly, with temperatures only reaching into the low teens. (but the humidity is certainly up) Seems like the mild temperatures have arrived up north, and also in Alexandra - 20C max there, as opposed to only 9C in Dunedin. And there was snow at Mt Cook (village I presume) at some time during the day, according to TV1 Weather.

Still drizzly as I write, with a fresh northeasterly and about 9C in central Chch. Let's hope tomorrow is better, and we feel some of that warmer air.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looks like the above average temperatures will be more likely in the north of the country this week.

Not the mild northerly across the whole country I was originally expecting.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

NZstorm wrote:Not the mild northerly across the whole country I was originally expecting.
We can only dream on about light N or NW winds from a stationary ridge to the east of the NI Be the usual Low after low racing across the country with high pressure to the north :(
tich

Unread post by tich »

Looks like the above average temperatures will be more likely in the north of the country this week.

Not the mild northerly across the whole country I was originally expecting.
Looks like slow moving high pressure well to the southeast is stalling the front which gave the damp weather to the east of the South island yesterday and overnight. Instead of moving off and allowing the weather to become fine, it has ground to a halt just to the southeast of the island and is disintergrating. Consequently, the weather is only gradually improving - here in Chch this morning it's cloudy, but no longer drizzly, and still cool (but a bit milder than yesterday).
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yes, this annoying low cloud hindering the observation of the Aoura Australis tonight which could be a good one.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Quite warm and muggy here in Alexandra temp in the low 20's, partly cloudy.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Metservice predicting 20c for Auckland today(It hardly reaches that on a sunny windless day)-What a joke Its lucky if its 15 or 16 ;)