What a warm northerly

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
sw_windbow
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What a warm northerly

Unread post by sw_windbow »

Temp was hovering between 15 and 16 since about 11 this morning, and still at 16° at 15:20, then a gusty warm wind arrived and 30 minutes later its 22.4°! Six degrees in 30 minutes!
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Yep - It kept In,gill pretty warm today though dark clouds are looming now. :)
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

I see Dunedin Ap was on 25°C at 3pm!

I'd like to see (for interest only) this type of warm westerly weather hit over mid-January.. would see the possible 40°C+ if it were, somewhere in the east.
Weathermad

Unread post by Weathermad »

Agree with that Foggy!

Record equalling highs for September for Invercargill today with 23 degrees and Gore 23 as well

Manapouri also 23(record high for September??),Queenstown 24 and Alexandra and Dunedin Airport sharing the nationwide high of 25
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Definatly not Northerly here but a strong blustery NW wind hitting gale force at times and 18C currently 8) .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Dunedin Airport sharing the nationwide high of 25
I'm not sure about those readngs from Dunedin Airport AWS. It seems to produce a lot of extreme readings these days. I tend to treat them as a rough guide but not totally accurate.
Weathermad

Unread post by Weathermad »

Yes Steven,Ive been noticing that too and not sure why the potential inaccuracy is occuring as the minimums during the winter seem quite extreme as well

Momona Airport is about 40kms from the central city and is on the Taieri Plains...It can have dramatic weather events like anywhere else but the temperatures do seem a little exaggerated
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Here it is just a cruddy "stuck" NNW flow of very moist air - grey misty conditions y'day and today. For one of my rare complaints, I nominate this pattern as one of my top dislikes as far as its effect on local weather goes... :x
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I was at Dunedin Aiport late last week. I should have had a nosy at the AWS location.

I hope NIWA aren't using those readings scientificly.
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

NZstorm wrote:I was at Dunedin Aiport late last week. I should have had a nosy at the AWS location.

I hope NIWA aren't using those readings scientificly.
I would have thought that all AWS's at airports would be placed pretty much the same everywhere. From what I have observed over the years it seems Dunedin airport is normally a few degrees warmer than Dunedin city on the mild/warmer days and the opposite when it's cold.

Today was a rather warm day, especially inland, so it wouldn't cross my mind to query the 25° :lol:
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Christchurch weather was pretty dull today.
Had abit of rain this morning, clearing up by 11am not only to be follwoed by drizzle. :roll: Witch of course puts a toll on things when your working outside :lol: Not too sure what the temp was today.
But i am hoping that it will be abit more warmer again tomorrow and just that we bit more brighter :) but of course Any storms would gladly accept! 8)

cheers
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
tich

Unread post by tich »

Christchurch weather was pretty dull today.
Had abit of rain this morning, clearing up by 11am not only to be follwoed by drizzle.
Little rain in Chch according to Hillmorton obs, but more rain out on Banks Peninsula - I'd guess about 5 or 6mm up to 11am, when I left to return to Chch. And certainly alot cooler than it has been in recent days.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes occasional showers from 9-11am light to moderate falls not enough for the gardens though with only 2.0mm falling.
Also cooler today 14-15C but cooled down in the afternoon to about 11C when it swung more light NE.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms