Extreme Warmth possible from Friday 13th

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Weathermad wrote:Yes and to add from the MetService at 9am...Timaru 24,Dunedin 24 Chch 23 Ashburton 26...just how high will these temps go??
Will we break 30°C??? Im going to Akaroa later today, should be windy at the lookout point on way over!!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Weathermad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Weathermad »

MetService have now revised high to 29, so 30 is close!!

Not sure if Akaroa will be that or higher??

I've just heard a whisper that you have a big birthday this weekend....Congrats to you on that achievement!!...and if you remember it after the event, even better!!!
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Weathermad wrote:MetService have now revised high to 29, so 30 is close!!

Not sure if Akaroa will be that or higher??

I've just heard a whisper that you have a big birthday this weekend....Congrats to you on that achievement!!...and if you remember it after the event, even better!!!
lol yea will be a big weekend!! Fingers crossed a Tstorm on monday can top it off!! :)
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

Just been watching 5 helicopters fight the signal hill fire here in Dunedin.
Not only fighting the fire but winds as well.
Spectacular.!
Berkshire North of Te Anau west of Hokitika.
jeffsweather

Unread post by jeffsweather »

Previous October record temp for my station was 27.2C in 2004, this has been broken by the 11am temperature at 27.9C today. Will be interesting to see what it peaks at and if the cool NE'erly arrives in the afternoon as it did yesterday.
spike_01

Unread post by spike_01 »

Weathermad wrote: I've just heard a whisper that you have a big birthday this weekend....Congrats to you on that achievement!!...and if you remember it after the event, even better!!!
I am gonna be 50 tomorrow... Is that big enough... 8)

Looks like the BBQ might be cancelled... Gonna be too windy here... :?
sw_windbow

Unread post by sw_windbow »

Gone over 28° here. Hard to believe just three days ago it was 6° at midday.
tich

Unread post by tich »

The wind is occasionally strong here in Chch, but the severe gales are more likely inland.
Compie

Unread post by Compie »

Nice.

Time:12:20

Temperature:28.5 °C

Today's high:28.5 °C

Today's low: 19.6 °C

Relative humidity: 17.4 %

Total rain today: 1.9 mm

Global irradiance: 740 W/m²

Pressure: 995 hPa

And this is from the varsity weather station that's protected from the winds.

http://www.physics.otago.ac.nz/eman/wea ... urrent.php

Always the way here in dunners, as soon as lectures stop (this week) it gets warm, and then as soon as the wee dears go home to mum and dad it cools off again.

It's like cup week in chch, you can more or less count on warm nor west weather that week.
Compie

Unread post by Compie »

pushing 30°C

http://dunedinweather.stroppykitten.com/weather.cgi

Outside Humidity 23%
Outside Temperature 29.8°C
Wind Chill 29°C
Dew Point 6.2°C
Wind Speed 76.4km/hr
Wind Direction W
Rain last hour 0.0mm
Relative Pressure 1009.3hPa
Absolute Pressure 1000.1hPa
Barometric Tendency Falling

more striking than the temp is the wind gusts, check out the bottom graph and those winds around 11:30. I was standing at the yacht club with my son watching the helicopters (5 of them) filling up the monsoon buckets around then, boy are they good. Hovering as if the 150km+ winds weren't there at all.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

i am a bit dubious of those reported windspeeds
http://dunedinweather.stroppykitten.com/weather.cgi
150kmh is 81 knots
i.e roofs blown off, people completey blown over, trucks tipped over, etc
which is destructive windspeeds, and is approaching the speed a helicoptor flies at (max forward speed), at least for your mill of the run helicopter
so if it really was that speed, i doubt you have helicopters flying around
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Compie

Unread post by Compie »

I've gotta say I believe them, as gusts anyway.

On the way into town today I passed 3 massive macrocarpa tress down, and to give my 3 year old sun a thrill a blue gum fell apart and on our car as we were driving, all very exciting for him. One large macro had blocked the portobello rd on the peninsula.

Also where that station is located will get the Nor West winds full on I'd imagine.

Seriously some of the gusts we are having it's bloody impossible to stand up.

Of course he hasn't changed his daylight savings, so those winds were at 12:30.

Besides the varsity station is sheltered here in the relative peace and quiet of the north dunners-logan park area, winds here are always 1/2 of that of on the peninsula and St Kilda/St Claire way.

make for a fun day anyway.
Manukau heads obs

ah, so its on the peninsular on an exposed hill top?

where the helicpoters are operating, how much wind there?
as too much wind and the water from the monsson buckets would get blown away as spray too much i would imagine
tairoa head is getting 50 kt gusts....:
http://www.portotago.co.nz/12/6.html
;)
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

The helicopters are in a relatively sheltered area (in part anyway) but they certainly would be exposed to the winds force when collecting the water from the harbour. Yes as Compie suggests the winds that we have had have been pretty dam scary knocking down trees that are decades old.

I would also suggest that at times standing would have been extremely difficult. Parts of the Peninsula are wickedly exposed where I live we face due north therefore the NW are a damaging wind but the SW are a non event.
Janos

Unread post by Janos »

Yes the water from the buckets are being well dispersed before hitting the ground. In fact they are losing lots of water during flight from the winds.
sw_windbow

These gusts are pretty mighty. Not quite as quick as the ones in late February or early March 2004. There were gusts of 180kph back then, I think Taieroa Heads got a 190+ gust. One gust took our sky dish and about 300 kilos of bricks off our roof/parapet thing. At times the whole house was bucking around like a surf board on a wave.

A big stand of 70 year old pines got knocked over below Mt Flagstaff.

But the heat today, my god, its getting to be too much. ](*,)
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Blowing a gale in Invercargill. Inland houses loosing roofs in Ohai . A number of scrub fires burning . You will see Gore has 82pkh at noon
tich

Unread post by tich »

Winds much stronger at times in Chch this afternoon - may be near gale-force. Today's Press had article on damage caused by northwest winds in mid and South Canterbury yesterday - it was suggested that the damage to a building at Timaru Boys High might've been from a twister/tornado. Seems very unlikely, as tornadoes occur in thunderstorms - not at all likely in a Canterbury norwester.
sw_windbow

tich wrote: it was suggested that the damage to a building at Timaru Boys High might've been from a twister/tornado. Seems very unlikely, as tornadoes occur in thunderstorms - not at all likely in a Canterbury norwester.
It depends on the definition. For the main stream news media a tornado is any wind that causes interesting or unusual damage. For example don't be suprised if tonight's TV news reports that a "tornado" reignited the Signal Hill fire, or "tornados" kept planes away from Dunedin airport. "Severe gales" are simply not dramatic enough these days.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Comparatively pleasant here, esp. in more sheltered spots - sunny and warmish. Met. have put "haze" into one of their forecasts - good idea, but it's only slight and was very much more noticeable a week or so back.
kiwisk8er

Unread post by kiwisk8er »

Manukau heads observer wrote:wow, thats a high speed!
what weather station type is that site using?
(ps, it needs to change to daylight saving time too)
Hi,

Thats my weather station. Oops forgot about daylight savings time. The weather station is situated at my house which is between musselburgh rise and the hill of Andersons bay cemetary, basically it acts as a wind tunnel for both SW and NW winds which is why the wind speed is so high. Basically on the outside of the peninsular, we get quite high winds here.

I'm in Chch at the moment, had an ice skating competition yesterday and get home tomorrow. A friend whose flight to Dunedin from Chch was supposed to be at 10.45 am this morning was cancelled due to high winds and she's hoping to catch the 5.45 pm flight tonight but Air NZ are not holding out much hope. Apparently with the earlier planes quite a few people got air sick, and they had to return to Chch as they couldn't land. Also my friend heard from her husband and he was having trouble walking along the street without being blown over.

kiwisk8er (p.s. I'm a woman)
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

I see Gisborne Ap has hit 30°C
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

kiwisk8er wrote:
Manukau heads observer wrote:wow, thats a high speed!
what weather station type is that site using?
(ps, it needs to change to daylight saving time too)
Hi,

Thats my weather station. Oops forgot about daylight savings time. The weather station is situated at my house which is between musselburgh rise and the hill of Andersons bay cemetary, basically it acts as a wind tunnel for both SW and NW winds which is why the wind speed is so high. Basically on the outside of the peninsular, we get quite high winds here.

I'm in Chch at the moment, had an ice skating competition yesterday and get home tomorrow. A friend whose flight to Dunedin from Chch was supposed to be at 10.45 am this morning was cancelled due to high winds and she's hoping to catch the 5.45 pm flight tonight but Air NZ are not holding out much hope. Apparently with the earlier planes quite a few people got air sick, and they had to return to Chch as they couldn't land. Also my friend heard from her husband and he was having trouble walking along the street without being blown over.

kiwisk8er (p.s. I'm a woman)
Hope your sk8ing went well... ;)

Years ago I knew a Dunedin couple who'd bought a house in a then newish? subdivision near Waverley - but higher, and very exposed. Great views, but even as a Wellingtonian I was impressed by the powerful winds.
Manukau heads obs

i see castlepoint is averaging 108kmh at 4pm
see:
http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/ind ... servations
;)
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Yeah no flights out. Windy and hot. I got up to 28.4, currently 27.6. Road blocked off on my hill because of the fire. Pretty safe though because if the fire heads to my house a deep low would need to magically appear east of Chch so I get a SE.

Sorry still don't believe those winds are 150kph. That would be doing windspread damage over Dunedin. Down the pennisula Tairoa Heads are average about 100kph
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.