Rogue showers

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Weathermad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rogue showers

Unread post by Weathermad »

A few showers dotted around Christchurch and the Banks Peninsula area are contrary to some forecasts

We had one or 2 last night and again a couple more have fallen again today in some suburbs
Kezza

Unread post by Kezza »

Some impressive cloud formations around today - quite surprised really that nothing has taken off :?
tich

Unread post by tich »

Was raining around Akaroa earlier this morning, but dry when I got back into Chch. But the showers soon arrived here for a time, though it has cleared up (partially) now.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Yea i saw those dark based clouds to the port hills this morning, and we have had quite abit of cu around, but to me honestly nothing has looked thundery.
Except maybe this morning when the cu was more vigerous.
Other then that its been a nice day. ;)
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Andrew Massie

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

:roll: YAWN i'm gonna have to play with the Van Der Graaf generator a bit more...
I should let you lot know when to listen out on your AM radios and see if your Boltek's pick up one of our Technicians' lightning generators.. He's built a Tesla coil that punches out a 1,000,000 Volt spark that jumps a 1M gap! It's cooool! 8) :D
Weathermad

Hey thats all good Andrew!

Looks like the weekend ahead could be a warm one but a change on Monday may bring a little more activity...here's hoping!
Andrew Massie

Weathermad wrote:Hey thats all good Andrew!

Looks like the weekend ahead could be a warm one but a change on Monday may bring a little more activity...here's hoping!
BRING_IT_ON Richard! May the sky rail hail the size of golf balls and lightning to upset the AM ZB listeners! ;)
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

LOL Andrew! :D

Typical November day here, morning cloud/Sc then clearing and fine.
Very welcome this sunshine is.. :) :)
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes some weak CU forms went up this morning overhead and over BP for much of the day. Was a few large drops of rain about late morning also some reports from Summner area of breif heavy showers.
Inland Canterbury along the plains looked good around 4pm a scene that can be seen in Summer so shows we are moving into storm season.
Speaking of which 1st day today officially of storm season better concentration of storms around mid December though.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Andrew Massie wrote:
Weathermad wrote:Hey thats all good Andrew!

BRING_IT_ON Richard! May the sky rail hail the size of golf balls and lightning to upset the AM ZB listeners! ;)
Dont get to excited, models arnt showing anythign to indicate Tstorms, 500mb temp is only about -19C!!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looks like a cloudy NE/drizzly showers on the way for northern NZ including Auckland. Should hang araound untill about Sunday when winds change back to SW.
Andrew Massie

Andrew Massie wrote::roll: YAWN i'm gonna have to play with the Van Der Graaf generator a bit more...
I should let you lot know when to listen out on your AM radios and see if your Boltek's pick up one of our Technicians' lightning generators.. He's built a Tesla coil that punches out a 1,000,000 Volt spark that jumps a 1M gap! It's cooool! 8) :D
See it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aigcjNZlfDo
Weathermad

Impressive!

Is Frankenstein under all that somewhere? :lol:
Andrew Massie

Weathermad wrote:Impressive!

Is Frankenstein under all that somewhere? :lol:
:D :D :D MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! ITS ALIVE!!! Ok, back to talking about weather, how are we looking for Sun/Mon thunder? Still bad?
Weathermad

Not particularly at this point now....Cant wait till Sunday night and I'm hearing that at the public fireworks display on the Pier,there'll be fireworks hurtling out from under the ocean...sounds fascinating!
Andrew Massie

Weathermad wrote:Not particularly at this point now....Cant wait till Sunday night and I'm hearing that at the public fireworks display on the Pier,there'll be fireworks hurtling out from under the ocean...sounds fascinating!
Yeah, does sound interesting... I read that in the paper, apparently they fire down at an angle from the pier, and then surface and do their thing.. Also I saw a Harvard warbird flying around doing aerobatics over Brighton yesterday, possibly practicing for the same night?

Anyway, we're off topic.. Umm sunny at the moment, lovely night last night too! 8)
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Havn't looked at proper models yet but GFS etc show possibly Tuesday night for thunder also some gale winds.
But I say no more it is early days yet :roll: .
That summery feel is coming on 21C outside can't wait till our pool is finished :D .
If there is anyone in need of Native plants please contact me I have several plants that must go all with new season growth they include.
Hoheria ( Lace barks )
Kophai Trees
Hebe's
Pittisporums
Strawberry plants
Ribbonwoods

Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms