NZ Summer and Global Warming

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

I wish global warming would happen here ;)
Cameo1
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Cameo1 »

RWood wrote:
Cameo1 wrote: Again, it's just a theory, so no proof yet for that evaporation theory. It just gives us other options instead of that 'we're all doomed' attitude. Who knows maybe our pollution is slowing down a cooling period? :o
What ever the case, we are totally ignorant in this one.
If this story's notions turn out to have any validity, it will not only contradict what you're saying about pollution, but also indicate that greenhouse effects have been underestimated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4171591.stm
We don't know what is going on. It's far too complex to make an accurate assumption. To make matters unimaginably worse, we don't know well enough, what it was like before humans, nor do we even have any idea of the interlinking patterns and systems at play and how we have altered them.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

We know some things - increasingly many things - because they are being measured and re-measured. If you think we can sit around and wait until "all is understood", you're simply mistaken. :roll:

I support the comments made in tich's post, and find it hard to be optimistic about humans' likely treatment of the planet over the next few decades.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Michael wrote:I wish global warming would happen here ;)
Let's call it "local warming", hoping we can steal some from Australia. :? 8)
Weathermad

Unread post by Weathermad »

I agree too that we need to look at what we as human beings have done and are doing in regards to pollution and waste around the globe

I read an article this morning about solar activity and that we are apparently in a phase where there is less activity than ten years ago so therefore we are in a cooling period...It stated there are phases/cycles when this happens

There is so much information, that it's difficult to see the wood for the trees at times
Cameo1

Unread post by Cameo1 »

RWood wrote:We know some things - increasingly many things - because they are being measured and re-measured. If you think we can sit around and wait until "all is understood", you're simply mistaken. :roll:

I support the comments made in tich's post, and find it hard to be optimistic about humans' likely treatment of the planet over the next few decades.
I don't think we should sit around and wait until it's all understood, I'm simply saying that the evidence for global warming is hardly convincing for everyone and that we should not all go jumping onto the media band wagon that is Global Warming, even though it wouldn't do any harm to nature if we did cut down emissions and planted trees. Anyway, if global warming does in fact turn out to exist, we are all pretty much screwed because we probably have already passed the 'point of know return' and the planet will destroy itself now anyway, and that’s WITHOUT China at full capacity, not to mention India. :?
Cameo1

Unread post by Cameo1 »

Weathermad wrote:I agree too that we need to look at what we as human beings have done and are doing in regards to pollution and waste around the globe

I read an article this morning about solar activity and that we are apparently in a phase where there is less activity than ten years ago so therefore we are in a cooling period...It stated there are phases/cycles when this happens

There is so much information, that it's difficult to see the wood for the trees at times
Exactly. There are so many statistics and research reports it's virtually impossible to make sense of it all, especially when they counteract each other. The Milankovitch theory is another. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/milankovitch.html
dogmelon

Unread post by dogmelon »

Are people prepared to give up their fossil fuel driven lives?, I'm not. I quite like driving in a car and computer, eating lots of food made from fossil fuel powered agriculture and using plastics and what not. Until we give up all of this worrying about global warming is pointless.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

A world which has been developed for us in all the everyday resources we use and rely on is expected to come with the drop of hat I dont think so :roll: .
I partially believe in Global Warming and can certainly see that the weather events not just here but across the earth are changing or increasing getting worse etc and maybe perhaps alot faster than we have anticipated. There are many other things which do show this and although there are so many thoeries out there as to what might happen sometimes it's best just to go along as usual.
-The Glaciers are melting at a fast rate and a major concern for the tourism Industry.
-Mount Everest is losing it's snowline with snowfalls only occasional in the town of Nepal unlike years ago. It is possible that Mt Everest might shut down to the tourism industry.
-Coral reefs and marine life are dying off in many areas.
So if Global Warming does exist how can we stop such a thing from happening. To me I dont think it is possible I think we are well and truly stuck in it now and the best thing for us to do is prepare for such events build shelters etc and try and wade it out.
Over 150 million years ago if Mt Everest was where it is today you could possibly climb it abit easier as the CO'2 (air) would be clear enough for us to breath in. Most of our Pollution sits aroung the Troposphere of which where Mt Everest sits to.
Just my thoughts anyway :) .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Jasestrm wrote: the best thing for us to do is prepare for such events build shelters etc and try and wade it out.
Given the concerns about sea level rise, thats got to be one of the spelling mistakes of the year! :D
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

:lol: :lol:
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

TonyT wrote:
Jasestrm wrote: the best thing for us to do is prepare for such events build shelters etc and try and wade it out.
Given the concerns about sea level rise, thats got to be one of the spelling mistakes of the year! :D
It's ok Tony I would have moved further inland before then ;) :D .
By the way CRT site isn't working properly for me at the moment and for a few others too.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

CRT do seem to be having issues. Ironic thing is I can get into the forecast upload part of the site and update the forecasts no problem, but nobody can see them.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Feels cold today here,Hope we get a real NWer out of this one