Humid weather for the North

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Unread post by tich »

Now 27 degrees in Ashburton,early afternoon the temperature maxed at 30 degrees before a slight breeze developed.Humidity 54 %.
Got up to 29C in Chch soon after noon today - well 29C at Hillmorton (Jeff's Online Station), but it's been in the low 20s most of the day in the central city, thanks to a northeasterly breeze. Humidity most probably higher than Ashburton, but nothing like up north. Supposed to be showers in South Canterbury (and Otago) for a time tomorrow - must be some pre-frontal disturbance expected (MetService predicts northwesterly rain to develop about and west of the Alps tomorrow evening as well). No mention of thunder and/or hail.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

it was a wonderful day in the city today with a high of 27c :) :)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Hey tich

On Jims final weather reading he mentioned the posibillity of thunderstorms up and down the west coast area tomorrow with the rain which I'm sure will happen with the westerly type flow.

Pitty Jim is leaving, does he want to leave or is it TVNZ? The whole weather forecasting community will now be woman!(On Tv of course) (unless some other guy comes in) Very dissapointing.

As for the weather here today, got low cloud come in low this morning with the NE but it cleared up for most of the day but then around 5pm some really low sea fog or something similar came in (really misty) but I think it only came part way into the city, it then cleared up quite quickly though, must of been a slight wind change. With all this moisture pouring in it looked like the reason why some Cu sprung up inland with the heat from the sun also (convective type stuff), it was nothing huge though, but if this type of situation happens again it could be interesting to watch later on in summer if big Cu clouds happen, maby even a thunderstorm? John, your prediction could be right.

Great photos guys! Looking foward to more!

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Bill Ralston, the head of TVNZ has sacked and changed the news around heaps. April Bruce is leaving, Richard Long, Jim Hickey :(
There may be an opening for him on TV3's new weather presentation, as they look away from the 'breezey approach' of their weather girls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I went down to the Waikato and encountered a thunderstorm near Huntly around 3pm with quite a few cg's. But the best storm was to come.
Between about 5.30pm and 6.45pm I was treated to a spectacular lightning show in the area of Te Hoe(30km north of Hamilton). Some of the lightning strikes within 500m of me. Bright white with canon like thunder. A number of multi-pulse strikes too... 4 to 5 bolts in the same place within a couple of seconds. I love that type of lightning. Also some multi-leader strikes. Lots of heavy rain and a brief period of very strong winds accompanied by visibility less than 100m in intense rain.
An impressive storm. :)

I will put some pictures up shortly if i can get my URL working again.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Re the sat pic above

Note the storm just north of Hamilton.

That was the storm I chased from about 5.30pm. When I left the area at 7pm to come home it was still going for it with nice CG's. The cloud is slow moving and I suggest there has been some big rainfall totals. ;)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

....and i want to point out that these storms have developed on a high barometer. 1020hpa at Auckland today. The key for the cb development though is the high humidity and high temperatures. Humidity is a thunderstorms best friend. :)
tich

Unread post by tich »

As for the weather here today, got low cloud come in low this morning with the NE but it cleared up for most of the day but then around 5pm some really low sea fog or something similar came in (really misty) but I think it only came part way into the city, it then cleared up quite quickly though, must of been a slight wind change.
No low cloud has reached central Chch - fine and mild here this evening, with little wind at present. Very pleasant.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Cumulus congestus about to mature into a thunderstorm.
Huntly area, mid afternoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Huntly thunderstorm in its early stages.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

departing thunderstorm.
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

Thought I'd put the 4 and 7 pm radar images here as well - first time in a long time I have seen blue ;)
Manukau heads obs
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

good stuff!
wow steven, you are a true dedicated storm chaser!
(i had cows to milk, LOL)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

....immmmmmmmm interesting photographs Steven.
I'm interested in the high barometer readings for thunderstorm development although it is understandable for possible Ts development in such circumstances. High humidity, and convectiveness.

Jim Hickey became a 'gone-burger' on TV One weather tonight. :(
Thanks Jim for your weather over the years.

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Should see a few more cb's pop up inland late afternoon over the North Island. Possibly also the South Island too. The upper air is looking less stable down there today.

Clearing fog in Auckland this morning. Temperature still on the overnight minimum of 20C. Will get 25C+ today.
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

We got to 28 degrees in Central Invercargill yesterday. Humidity around 40 % . Sky has been looking very thundery last two days with lots of Altocumulus Castellanus and Floccus. Impressive satellite picture this morning of Tasman Sea fronts. Incoming cold air mixing with the muggy airmass, what will that bring?
Achten

Unread post by Achten »

We will have thunderstorms in the Bay today. Development has kicked off pretty early. As I type rumblings of thunder in the distance. Should be a good afternoon!
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

The skies around Auckland today have a more stable look but have seen a couple of good Cu towers so there is the out side chance of a shower.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Good to see you guys up north are at least having some thing to get excited about!!!
Down here (christchurh) there is nothing worthy to note, except a stronger easterly than the last couple of days and more cloud cover.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Achten wrote:We will have thunderstorms in the Bay today. Development has kicked off pretty early. As I type rumblings of thunder in the distance. Should be a good afternoon!
Keep us updated!!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Manukau heads obs

some very impressive CB's down huntly way agian
I could take a photo from up the road if anyone wants to see?
GreggWard

Unread post by GreggWard »

Yes I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of them Brian. We had a couple of heavy showers pass to the north of Palmerston North, around 12:30. Since then the wind has picked up and seems to have cut off the convection I was seeing earlier.

Gregg
Manukau heads obs

i went to have a look from up the road, where there is a great view to the waikato,but now there is too much cloud in the way
steven might have some good shots :)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

The cbs look like theyre near the kaimais currently and can be seen to the south of the city today
tich

Unread post by tich »

Low cloud from Chch to about Birdling's Flat (southern Banks Peninsula) this morning, but fine around Akaroa (apart from thin high cloud). Became warm today, but not as hot as predicted - about 26C max out here (and 22C in Chch from TV1 Weather - Airport recording I guess).