Humid weather for the North

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
jeffsweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jeffsweather »

If the wind can snap small twigs off trees then its gale force, so gusts in a more exposed site were probably quite a lot higher.
Yes Tony, the gusts and debris in the air made me think gusts in the northern side of town were higher then I recorded in Hillmorton. The Nor'wester is not too bad here most of the time.

I see Metservice are not talking about rain for Canterbury tomorrow (Tuesday) now and unlikely for Thrusday.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

There should be good rain in Otago and Canterbury this weekend.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Dry down this way,farmers are flat out irrigating,lawns and paddocks are now brown.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Deano wrote:Dry down this way,farmers are flat out irrigating,lawns and paddocks are now brown.
I drove down to Mt Peel yesterday in the hot and windy NW conditions and was quite surprised to see so many irrigation systems working in paddocks on the Canterbury Plains, espcecially along Thompson's Track and the inland highway(72).
Why use this type of watering during the daytime and especially in dry NW conditions? Why not at nightime when there is no heating when evaporation of the water is at a minimum?

JohnGaul
NZTS