Humid weather for the North

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

Humid weather for the North

Unread post by spwill »

Looks like our first spell of humid north easterly weather for this summer is on the way at least in the north. I'm sure we will get some good rain from it.
Met service say a very cold south westerly will spread up the country later next week.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Does look like the north of the country is in for an extended period of mild humid weather. That low in the NW Tasman will bring alot of moisture in our direction in the coming week. Not sure we will get to much rain from it in Auckland though. The moist air looks likely to spread south during the week which may be enough encouragement for the development of Isolated afternoon thunderstorms inland over both islands.

Check this video out of a mesocyclonic thunderstorm over Darwin 06/12/03.
http://members.datafast.net.au/~pbones/darwinss00.avi
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Re: Humid weather for the North

Unread post by Michael »

spwill wrote:Looks like our first spell of humid north easterly weather for this summer is on the way at least in the north. I'm sure we will get some good rain from it.
Met service say a very cold south westerly will spread up the country later next week.
Rather have it warm if its humid because we do get sunshine when it can be humid too along with ts of course but a SW is horrid if that arrives with gales for here
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Yucky rain has started here now quite heavy too
tich

Unread post by tich »

A fresh southerly arrived last evening on Banks Peninsula - after a fine day, it soon clouded over, and remained cloudy up to early this afternoon in Chch. Dry though, apart from some (probably only negligible that I experienced) drizzle early morning around the city.
Not likely this week - a cool (freezing level about 1400 metres in the south) southerly looks like spreading north over the South Island tonight, but probably no much more action with it than what resulted from last night's southerly. Warmer air from the north looks like taking over from midweek. UNISYS has a cold southerly for early next week (may I presume you were referring to this week spwill when you heard that MetService long-range prediction on Saturday), but a week is a long way out in forecasting time.
CbFan

Unread post by CbFan »

Amazing thick cloud came in with a base of about 200m asl today with the soggy 2km/Hr NE :(
Visibility at Matauri Bay in Far North down to 15-20m at times this afternoon (8/12). Made driving very exciting with cars appearing out of nowhere (regardless of whether they had their lights on!)
Intersections were even more interesting as you couldn't see anything coming out of the murk!

Look forward to anything westerly to get rid of this muck! Like living in a cold sauna :(

Can't wait for a nice tight (L) to start up off Lord Howe....<sigh>

Pete
(I want some wind!)
The sender of this email is 100% Non-Astraphobic, Keraunophobic, Lilapsophobic, Antlophobic or Nephophobic !
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The dewpoints at Norfolk Island today have been in the 21-22C range.
That air will be over us in a day or two.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The upper air over Northern NZ is starting to look less stable with the k index on 34. Slight chance of thunderstorms developing over Northland today.

Weather currently, Calm, Mist, temp 18C, humidity 98%.
Temperature will lift to about 25C today if sun manages to break though.
CbFan

Unread post by CbFan »

:) :) :) :)

SPECIAL WEATHER ADVISORY FOR NORTHLAND AUCKLAND WAIKATO BAY OF PLENTY
ISSUED BY METSERVICE AT 10:50am Tuesday 09-Dec-2003

THUNDERY DOWNPOURS FORECAST OVER THE NORTHERN NORTH ISLAND THIS WEEK

MetService is expecting much of this week to very humid and unstable over the
northern half of the North Island, with thunderstorms, particularly during the
afternoons and evenings. Areas most likely to be affected are those north of
about Taupo, with thunderstorms on most days from today through to about Friday.

It is possible that a few of the thunderstorms this week may be severe,producing
localised short-lived downpours of between 25 and 50 millimetres per hour. The
areas most likely to be affected by these intense downpours include Northland,
Auckland, Waikato and Bay of Plenty. Rainfall rates of this intensity can cause
localised flash flooding of streams and other low-lying areas.

:) :) :)
The sender of this email is 100% Non-Astraphobic, Keraunophobic, Lilapsophobic, Antlophobic or Nephophobic !
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Send a couple to Dunedin...PLEASE!!!!
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Muggy and overcaste in Auckland today. With the very high humidity over the north I'm sure the front over us at the moment will produce a few downpours , however daytime heating is our best chance for thunderstorms so the Front over the North needs to clear out. Tomorrow afternoon looks a good bet for thundery weather.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Some very heavy rain in Auckland in the last hour. ;)

I agree with spwill. Best chance for active thunderstorms is the clearance of the layered cloud tomorrow so the sun can get to work on lifting temperatures. And some seabreeze convergence would be helpful to.

Todays upper air sounding indicates cb tops possible to 12,500m (40,000ft). ;)
tich

Unread post by tich »

(
Some very heavy rain in Auckland in the last hour.
Sounds like you northerners could be in for some more major downpours tomorrow. Who knows what might eventuate - look at what happened in Melbourne recently (and in Hamilton a week or so ago). Down here in Chch, we'll probably get no more than a little morning drizzle. Cloudy, cool, but dry all today, though the southerly freshened up for a while just after noon.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

No Thunderstorms

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Sadly, judging by observations, model predictions etc., it looks very unlikely for any thunderstorm activity in ChCh this summer. :( :( :(
I will close the NZTS until further notice.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Hey guys

Get the cameras out, looking foward to some shots if anything eventuates, it's the only way I can keep my enthusiasim! If big things are likely to brew as Cb fans post from metservice indicates, perhaps a funnel cloud or even tornado could be on the cards? I'm sure if one of you guys see one it will be on film or memory card. I'm sure you'll be out looking Pete!

Never say never! Something could happen John, summer still has a we while to go yet, it's just begun! But then again one like yourself is more wiser than me in the knowledge of the Christchurch area and it's weather, I just haven't been around long enough yet.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

7am Overcast nimbostratus with intermittent rain, temp 19C,
humidity 97%.

Perfect weather for ducks and dairy farmers.

I agree Aaron re your suggestion that it is too early in the season for the NZTS to write it off.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Overcast with rain all morning in Auckland. Any good sunny breaks would result in Thunderstorms but this may not now happen until tomorrow. Looks like cold weather for the South Island on Monday.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Boring Rain falling the entire day here Mild with little wind and 19c
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Haven't managed to "burn off" the 600m cloud base over Dunedin yet today. Drizzlely crap.

We were forecast to get high teens if not break into the twenties with the temperature today.

So far managed a high of 11.6C off a reading in the city centre and 11.4C at home. Though if they take the temperature out at the Airport it will read a lot higher on the 6pm News. With this weather in town the cloud will be broken over Mosgiel for sure.

Edinburgh of the South, alright
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Phil, Dunedin airport at 4pm was 13.0C with and easterly of 10knots.
So possibly not much sun over the hill.

Rain has eased in Auckland but still overcast with 20.4C humidity 96%.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

It will clear up in time for the moon to shine in the windows all night ;)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:
Never say never! Something could happen John, summer still has a we while to go yet, it's just begun! But then again one like yourself is more wiser than me in the knowledge of the Christchurch area and it's weather, I just haven't been around long enough yet.
Summer dosen't look very promising.
It's looking a bit like the 1999/2000 season where nothing happened here all the action up north. :( :( :(
I feel very negative at the moment for any form of thunder activity here especially after a pathetic spring.
Frontal systems coming through at the wrong time of day and not having the right 'ooomph" with them!
May improve but judging by current predictions, not looking very likely :(

JohnGaul
NZTS

PS> I'll probably say this and we'll probably have a real humdinger on Christmas day with parts of Canterbury cut-off !!! :)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

CbFan wrote::) :) :) :)

SPECIAL WEATHER ADVISORY FOR NORTHLAND AUCKLAND WAIKATO BAY OF PLENTY
ISSUED BY METSERVICE AT 10:50am Tuesday 09-Dec-2003

THUNDERY DOWNPOURS FORECAST OVER THE NORTHERN NORTH ISLAND THIS WEEK

MetService is expecting much of this week to very humid and unstable over the
northern half of the North Island, with thunderstorms, particularly during the
afternoons and evenings. Areas most likely to be affected are those north of
about Taupo, with thunderstorms on most days from today through to about Friday.

It is possible that a few of the thunderstorms this week may be severe,producing
localised short-lived downpours of between 25 and 50 millimetres per hour. The
areas most likely to be affected by these intense downpours include Northland,
Auckland, Waikato and Bay of Plenty. Rainfall rates of this intensity can cause
localised flash flooding of streams and other low-lying areas.

:) :) :)
Some people get all the luck although you can have the high humidity ;)

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Fujita Phil wrote:Haven't managed to "burn off" the 600m cloud base over Dunedin yet today. Drizzlely crap.

We were forecast to get high teens if not break into the twenties with the temperature today.

So far managed a high of 11.6C off a reading in the city centre and 11.4C at home. Though if they take the temperature out at the Airport it will read a lot higher on the 6pm News. With this weather in town the cloud will be broken over Mosgiel for sure.

Edinburgh of the South, alright
Similar day here too Phil, although the thermometer in my screen hovering around the 15C mark.
Whilst the far north are enjoying high humidities and thunderstorms with the NE, we in the south are usually burdoned with this sort of crap.
Need a good active cold front to come in from the south, with the right timing and conditions.
Imagine if there was such a thing as "Designer Weather" !!! :) :) :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Even though I was interested in thunderstorms back in 1999 / 2000 I was possibly that year focused on trout fishing so can not remember what things were like those years. I'm sure that in 2001 or there abouts during the Christmas holidays it was really good down here in Chch with quite a few Ts, unfortunately I was on holiday near nelson and missed it all. We did get one thunderstorm up there while I was on holiday, it persisted into the night, had no camera and it was just sheet lightning but none the less cool, it's one of the only night time thunderstorms I've ever seen.

I remember that you said John at one point a thunderstorm didn't occur in Chch for a period of 13 months and you told Augi Auer (?), well we've got a we while to go then............bugger! I'm sure something will happen, as Steven has reinforced, it can't be written off yet.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson