Midday thunderstorm on Banks Peninsula

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Midday thunderstorm on Banks Peninsula

Unread post by tich »

This has come as a surprise. This morning was fine in Chch/Banks Peninsula, and the forecast for Canterbury was for continuing fine weather, apart from isolated showers about the western ranges. But just before noon I noticed (from western side of Akaroa harbour) a darkening cloud to the west. This cloud continued to darken and soon there were rumbles of thunder. A shower then occurred with large drops, but I think the storm was centred over the Little River area (maybe with some hail). The wind (northwesterly I think - strange for a thunderstorm) strengthened for a short while. The system has now moved away to the southeast, and it's now sunny again with only scattered cloud.
Ben
Skywatcher
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Just as Steven W forecast !!!

I checked the Public MetStrikeWeb at about 11:30 today and there was nothing on Canterbury - there are now a few over BP and a lot down by Timaru.

http://www.metservice.com/lightning/exa ... strike.htm

Nothing significant on my lightning detector :(

Cheers
Steven
tich

Unread post by tich »

Unstable looking clouds are reappearing around Akaroa Harbour, especially to the west (where I can see shower activity) MetService has upgraded its Canterbury forecast, now predicting isolated thunderstorms for the western ranges and South Canterbury until this evening. Perhaps they should further change the forecast to suggest the risk of thunderstorms for Canterbury in general.
tich

Unread post by tich »

There was a brief shower shortly after my last message, but it's fine now, most of cloud having cleared. Apparently, I heard that Little River, over the hills to the west of Akaroa harbour, got a really heavy shower from the midday thunderstorm (though no mention of hail). Lucky for them - it's been getting pretty dry there like the rest of Canterbury.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

The last day of work and Cb's pop up! I didn't have my camera with me as I thought surely nothing would happen any time soon but things did. Some realy nice crisp punchy/explosive looking clouds which some of went to Cb. I only managed to get a photo when I got home of some punchy looking Cu, I didn't here any thunder as these clouds were to far away. Next time I come across my Uncle or Aunty who live in Little River I'll ask to see if they got anything.

My camera still hasn't come yet! Unfortunate but things look like it will be in the new year when I get my camera, bugger! I'm still hoping me getting the camera from America with it's cheaper price will subdue my annoyance in not getting it earlier. I'm sure when I get it it will all be worth it, I hope! Ahhh what am I talking about, of course it will? :)

And of course seasons greatings to all, Merry Christmas!

Also it was Jim Hickeys last night on Channel one weather, a big loss. I understand now it was TVNZ and not of Jims own will, was it cost cutting or does someone not like someone somewhere? I think the situations just stupid, he was the best weather presenter out there for TV. My GRRRR for the day.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

We had Cb's to the west and east of Invercargill this afternoon. I see the public lightning strike web shows activity for the eastern group of Cb's this afternoon. Last night lots of spherics on AM band at 0100 NZDT looked west and saw nothing ,Did not think to look to the east where the activity was. Currently wind has backed from NW to SW and temp dropped from 20 down to 15 degrees. Still no rain.

Merry Xmas everyone
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

Here theres been a westerly today and still gusty at times with only a spit since 10am but tomorrow looks worse as it goes to the Gale direction with horizontal showers then
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Season Greetings! I also notived the thunderstorm, but like aaron didnt have my camera at work!! Will be taking it as of now! Also noticed another large cloud build up at a more westerly position of the city at about 6pm. Dont now if it produced anything.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers