Interesting depression Thursday June 21

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
gopolks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gopolks »

TonyT wrote:
tornadoman18 wrote:what are Tony's views on this possible event?
Too warm for snow on the Plains - it will stay up on the mountains where it belongs. Looks like southern districts are in for another hammering over the weekend and early part of next week though. If you want your snow fix travel south (now, while you still can!).
Oh well, thats what I thought, its a bit warm.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

We are in the warm sector of that low with temp and dp 15C here now. Frontal line of cb's/thunderstorms out to west of Auckland/Northland atm.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Too warm for snow on the Plains - it will stay up on the mountains where it belongs.
MetService's latest forecast for Canterbury is for snow to low levels tomorrow. Looks like snow to 'low levels' at least in the inland valleys and basins, eg Hanmer, even if not on the plains.
Is it possible to get snow with a North East wind?
I don't think so in Chch or the lower plains. But I recall it snowed, not in Chch, but almost to sea-level just to the south (Lincoln, Taitapu) in late September 1995, in what I think was an easterly flow.
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

I think we might have to wait a month or so, for the bad stuff to hit Canterbury, the snow to 300 metres seems to be way off the mark, I mean we are suppose to get temps of between 10-13 for the next five days.

Heck if Hamner gets some of the white stuff, it will be looking mighty pretty.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Light rain now falling here with more moderate falls coming down from the north on the latest radar.
I think these lows are hard to predict as they change paths all the time or deepen even more than expected. I would atleast expect to see some bad weather with such a deep low moving down, which will be interesting when the low crosses and the winds turn more colder SW.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

Jasestrm wrote:Light rain now falling here with more moderate falls coming down from the north on the latest radar.
I think these lows are hard to predict as they change paths all the time or deepen even more than expected. I would atleast expect to see some bad weather with such a deep low moving down, which will be interesting when the low crosses and the winds turn more colder SW.
Cheers
Jason.
Interesting, I cant remember weather patterns like this for winter in CHCH for a while.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Have seen wintry showers in Dunedin on a NorthEasterly which was very unusual however it's not so unusual on an Easterly or it never used to be :)
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

baro getting low for up this way ...currently at 989hpa and still dropping
looks like that front really fired up to the east of northland!
and some beefy showers out to our NW moving this way
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Sea is roaring tonight perhaps some disturbance from the high seas over NSW last week.
Temperature has dropped abit more and there is a very light E-SE breeze.
I was working up at Kate Valley today it's coming along quite nicly up there, took a few photo's of the main landfill although makes me wonder where they are dumping the waste being brought in at the moment.
Cheers
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

Unbelievable, the cloud is clearing here in CHCH, there is blue sky everywhere, its cold but sunny, the weather Gods arent ready to bring the bad stuff yet.

I didnt think I would wake up to snow, but clearing blue skies? That is pretty amazing. :shock:
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

gopolks wrote:Unbelievable, the cloud is clearing here in CHCH, there is blue sky everywhere, its cold but sunny, the weather Gods arent ready to bring the bad stuff yet.

I didnt think I would wake up to snow, but clearing blue skies? That is pretty amazing. :shock:
uhhmm...calm before the storm? ;) :roll:
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

gllitz wrote:
gopolks wrote:Unbelievable, the cloud is clearing here in CHCH, there is blue sky everywhere, its cold but sunny, the weather Gods arent ready to bring the bad stuff yet.

uhhmm...calm before the storm? ;) :roll:
Isnt it a case of the weather clearing. All sites are now saying, fine weather for christchurch for the next seven days?
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Once a depression tracks towards the SI it usually clears in Chch. Only when the depressions go over the NI do we usually get into the rain/snow. This one looked like a fizzer from several days ago. But, still some strong very cold west to south west air to come over the weekend, pretty unpleasant for Otago/Southland.
Fujita Phil

Re: Interesting depression next Thursday?

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: Going back to this. Looks quite interesting. Barometer should really drop as the low passes over the country. Interesting to see what pressure it gets down to :)
Will it be a record? :roll:

JohnGaul
NZTS
I had a brief look at my station this morning and I think it said that from the 9am yesterday to 9am today the Barometer dropped 21 :shock: and still falling
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Looks to be snowing at Arthur's Pass based on WebCam (shock and horror......) :roll:
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Overcast and grey day here temp -1.5°
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

Here in Christchurch the Temp is still going up, its 8.1 degrees and the sky is getting bluer by the minute, its a lovely day actually.

It seems the wind is from the south, and the barometer is dropping.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Expect a period of showers this evening, strong cold winds tomorrow and Saturday, then probably some more icy showers later on Sunday.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

TonyT wrote:Expect a period of showers this evening, strong cold winds tomorrow and Saturday, then probably some more icy showers later on Sunday.
Will the snow showers get into central otago? down to the valley floor?

Still very little snow on the mts. the ski areas need it!
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Andy wrote:
TonyT wrote:Expect a period of showers this evening, strong cold winds tomorrow and Saturday, then probably some more icy showers later on Sunday.
Will the snow showers get into central otago? down to the valley floor?

Still very little snow on the mts. the ski areas need it!
Sorry, I was replying to Gopolks regarding Chch. As for Otago, well I think you're in for a very bleak 4 days - I wouldn't say the quantity of snow will be huge, but it will get around most everywhere. And big frosts to follow early next week perhaps too.
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Well, looks as tho the M/S web page is getting the "slashdot" effect at the moment :D ...prolly due to this system going over NZ...
(For those not familiar with the slashdot effect, it is when a web site gets overloaded because so many people are trying to access it at once...)
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

The depression is on the way out, and the cold SW flow is on its way in, so I suggest we use the other, newer, thread for snow/cold weather discussion from now on. :)
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

not snow related...
very impressive and very wide stream across the tasman from Queensland...best I have seen for a long time

when you see that you can expect nasty weather and lots of wind to follow....in my book anyway
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Got down to 972.3hpa here, rising now
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

TonyT wrote:Got down to 972.3hpa here, rising now
Thanks for that Tony. Barometer rising now as the low/trough moves away. My barometer was quite low, I haven't got around to have it collaberated to sea-level from West Melton yet. [-X

JohnGaul
NZTS