Another Tasman Low last week of June

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
planez
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by planez »

Probably Kaikoura Coast, but unlikely to be your part of Marlborough, Planez
Thats ok I can get around....
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

planez wrote:photoshop on snowreports aye - what a bunch of conspiracy theorists we have here!

SWO Threat Situation valid from Tuesday 03-Jul-2007 to Friday 06-Jul-2007
Issued by MetService at 1:13pm Sunday 01st July 2007

During Tuesday and Wednesday, forecasters expect a broad trough to cross the country, followed on Thursday by a narrow ridge.

A low deepens in the central Tasman Sea on Thursday, and then extends a trough over the North Island. Moist northeasterlies could bring some heavy rain to Coromandel Peninsula, Bay of Plenty, also northwest Nelson on Friday. However, the risk that rainfalls will reach warning criteria is low at this stage.

Cold air could be spreading over the South Island on Thursday, and rain on the southern side of the trough could turn to snow to low levels in Marlborough and Canterbury on Friday. The risk that warnable amounts of snow will eventuate is only low.

http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/ind ... heroutlook

What do you fellas recon for sno? METVUW is showing just light rain for the region during thursday but fridat looks interesting with a moist Easterly flow

cheers
Im picking it could be a nice dusting on the port hills on friday.
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

planez wrote:...what a bunch of conspiracy theorists we have here!
Yep, and proud of it! :twisted: :P
What do you fellas recon for sno?
I reckon I'll do what I always do, and wait and see. Bitter experience has taught me that I'm usually wrong when I try to figure it out.

:)
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Lets keep this thread for discussion of the last system and related impacts, and switch to the new thread for the next system coming up.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I went for a lovely drive to Southbridge today and noticed the lack of snow along the Southern Alps, especially after the rain on Friday.
It must of been rainy up there and washed much of the snow away...or... bugger all snow has fallen previous to this?

JohnGaul
NZTS
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:It must of been rainy up there and washed much of the snow away...or... bugger all snow has fallen previous to this?

JohnGaul
NZTS
Both. Not much snowfall so far this season plus a few days of warm rain mean very bony mountains.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Was on the Port Hills for a mountain bike ride this afternoon in 17 degree temps....could not believe how utterly devoid of snow the Southern Alps are for the beginning of July...Canterbury at least is surely miles warmer than a normal winter.
Christchurch Rocks