Another Tasman Low last week of June

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
gopolks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gopolks »

gllitz wrote:
Jasestrm wrote: I was actually referring as of up to midday of that rainfall total when the rain was lighter this morning and when the paddocks were puddling up.
This afternoon it has become more persistant and is now getting close to heavy.
Cheers
Jason.
Yeah, Jason, I agree with you...I don't have a rain gauge (sinner! repent!) but the rain has indeed gotten heavier even in the past hour...coincides with what the models have been showing all along...

(aside) The ski field opererators must be hacked off with all the "warm" weather and rain basically erasing the past week or so of snow making efforts.... :( :(
(/aside)
Its a bummer for them.

When is the next cold front suppose to hit the south Island?

Late next week?
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

According to latest models the "Drewey Side Rod" system has weakened a bit but the influence is still there. Like the underside of a Dsb shunting locomotive turning to jelly :roll:

JohnGaul
NZTS
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

gopolks wrote:Its a bummer for them.

When is the next cold front suppose to hit the south Island?

Late next week?
It'll have to be a big one to replace the snow that's been and being lost. Lots of big warm drops falling for at least 14 hours here and no sign of letting-up. What snow was still lying around is long gone and I doubt whether snowmakers could keep up.

Never-say-never and all that, but it's looking pretty grim for the fields right now.
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:According to latest models the "Drewey Side Rod" system has weakened a bit but the influence is still there. Like the underside of a Dsb shunting locomotive turning to jelly :roll:

JohnGaul
NZTS
I am more confuse now, than when I watched Mission Impossible 1. :D

I guess what I really want to know is, When is the snow coming to my town? :lol:
Gary Roberts

gopolks wrote:I guess what I really want to know is, When is the snow coming to my town? :lol:
Not soon.

:P
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Interesting latest MSLP plop a low to 985 off Banks Peninnsula for Monday with perhaps a southerly flow, not sure what that could bring :?
Could be something mid week with more rain possibly heavy although turning colder SW.
But Next Friday could be almost another repeat of today except possibly this time turning a colder S-SW in it's wake with a low to cross lower SI perhaps.
Cheers
Jason.
Last edited by Storm Struck on Fri 29/06/2007 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

Gary Roberts wrote:
gopolks wrote:I guess what I really want to know is, When is the snow coming to my town? :lol:
Not soon.

Bugger! :cry:
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

gopolks wrote:
Gary Roberts wrote: Not soon.

Bugger! :cry:
BUT!! You could at least *DREAM* about how much snow all this rain COULD have been ;) :D :lol:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yes Jason, it may be interesting to see what the weather may pull out of the bag, but here in Canterbury,it should be boring as compared to other parts of the country. The AECL lows seem to have dropped off now with low surface pressures now being maintained by a westerly flow and no anticyclones of note coming up.
I must admit, yesterday was such a good example of Anticyclonic Gloom here in Canterbury. Haven't experienced ... such, for a while. Only 4.9°C here under a thick, gloomy As sky 8)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Gary Roberts

gllitz wrote:BUT!! You could at least *DREAM* about how much snow all this rain COULD have been ;) :D :lol:
Yeah, good point...if a great big polar blast had passed over the top of this claggy stuff we'd have seen big quantities of snow, I guess, instead of just heaps of warm rain.
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Gary Roberts wrote:
gllitz wrote:BUT!! You could at least *DREAM* about how much snow all this rain COULD have been ;) :D :lol:
Yeah, good point...if a great big polar blast had passed over the top of this claggy stuff we'd have seen big quantities of snow, I guess, instead of just heaps of warm rain.
Tony T is probably best to comment on this (or others?) but I have always understood, as a rule of thumb, that for every 1" of rain you get ~12" of snow...so 1:10-1:12 ratio?? Anyone? Bueller? :D
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

It's warming up a bit now, up to 8.6°C at half past nine. :D
Rain easing a bit now. Should be lovely and fine in the morning :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Gary Roberts

gllitz wrote:Tony T is probably best to comment on this (or others?) but I have always understood, as a rule of thumb, that for every 1" of rain you get ~12" of snow...so 1:10-1:12 ratio?? Anyone? Bueller? :D
Whoa! I didn't know that. I'm almost as amazed as the time I read the Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act!
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

It's still raining here. I'll give you a report at 10pm of total rainfall for today, the best rainfall since the beginning of May, (in the Weather Observations Section of this forum :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

gllitz wrote:Tony T is probably best to comment on this (or others?) but I have always understood, as a rule of thumb, that for every 1" of rain you get ~12" of snow...so 1:10-1:12 ratio?? Anyone? Bueller? :D
About right - 1:10 for wet snow, a little less for dry snow, perhaps 1:8.
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

TonyT wrote:
About right - 1:10 for wet snow, a little less for dry snow, perhaps 1:8.
Neat! So, from the Burwood w/s (http://www.zl3gp.co.nz/....closest to me) we *COULD* have had around around 25 cm or so of snow so far.... :)

...it's nice to dream, anyway :P ;) :D

EDIT: AACK! Jeff's station has recorded 47.6 mm today!!! :shock:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

...over 50mm now :shock:
Interesting to see my raingauge, tomorrow, at my St. John of God site. :D

JohnGaul
NZTS
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Nice to have rain falling again with a bit of warmth back! :)

Only 11mm here so far since midday.. looks like there's a bit of a clearance zone in behind there.. maybe 2007 isn't going to be a good year for central Waikato rain terms.. only 407mm so far running into July.. so we're well down on rainfall.

Looks like those dewpoints are going to get higher overnight over the far north.. 17°C there tomorrow morning and 16°C dewpoints working through the upper North Island. :D

I also wouldn't discount a 20°C day to start July somewhere over Northland too... Napier will be in for a warm run with the northwesterlies also giving the warm atmosphere an added lift.

Monday looks good for thunderstorms too... :)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Mild already here this morn with 15C! Whole country should be about 5C above normal today.
TokWW

Unread post by TokWW »

Much less rain here in Waikato - 21mm on my console, since 15:00 yesterday. And the winds are up and down 10 - 35km/hr. Barometer still falling - 1008.5 at 7:30am. Temp around 10degC. HS soccer to referee at 10:30...
A Father can have a hobby because he is the Transport, Referee, Manager, Committee Member Dad!!
LaCrosse WS-2308CH, Sharp VideoCam, ULD Lightning Radar
http://www.inmanavenue.com/
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

20mm here....which is good....want cause too many problems for farmers, etc :)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Gary Roberts

NZstorm wrote:Mild already here this morn with 15C! Whole country should be about 5C above normal today.
Yep! We're on +1.6 °C when it's normally somewhere around -3 to -10 °C. 27mm of warm rain fell on Omarama, and there's not a lot of snow to be seen on the tops now.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Balmy 2 degrees here after a slight frost. Sunny skies looking forward to breaking into double figures YeaHa :P

9.5mm of rain in the 24hrs to 9:00am. Lots of snow has melted in the hills around Alex. But

Treble Cone recieved 40cms
Cardrona 15cm

Queenstown nothing but rain i think :!:
Gary Roberts

Andy wrote:Treble Cone recieved 40cms
Cardrona 15cm
Snow? If so, they'll be sitting pretty, since it appears all the other fields lost their snow to the warm rain.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Treble Cone recieved 40cms
Cardrona 15cm
I am a sceptic regards those numbers. I think the very tops of the ski field would have got snow but rain on the lower slopes.
I suspect ski fields exaggerate a bit about current conditions to get people up there. :lol: