Thunderstorms and damage reports, N.I. Wed 4th July

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

just having a good strong squall here at the moment, some hail, very squally winds, gusts to 45 knots :) (was only 10 kts before the squall!)
very sudden start/stop to the rain!
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
KiwiWeather

Unread post by KiwiWeather »

Heavy rain here.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Interesting reports from you guys in the thunderous north. Many people say, "Who would want to live there?" I say "Lots" and I don't envy them :roll:
Interesting waterspout moving inland in New Plymouth today, bit similar to the Greymouth Tornado of 2005, difference being the NP one was more refined looking compared to the Greymouth one which looked messy.
ALL tornados outside of the USA are now regarded as 'mini' so that is why the media PERSIST in calling them - MiniTornados. I have constantly told them that a tornado is a tornado.Full stop. None of this mini rubbish. [-( There is no reduction in size of a tornado formation. They are measured from 0 to 6 in a scale, the Fred Fujuta scale, in accordance to the destruction they do with the increasing wind speeds inside the funnel.
Another expression I hate is 'thundery showers' but that is a MetService expression, not the media [-X

JohnGaul
NZTS
Paul Mallinson
Meteorologist (Retired)

Unread post by Paul Mallinson »

Sure an interesting read today! Fancy 3 tornados reported in three different centres in one day. That says volumes about how many others probably occured but weren't seen.

I am of the opinion that many weak tornados occur in New Zealand and they are more common than most people realise. (I hate this term mini tornados too).

If you take the case of the South Island west coast, over the last few years there have been about 3 I can recall in the Greymouth area, 1 around Hokitika and 1 down Franz Joseph way. These are just spot samples of a very long coast line, so on a statistical basis there must be many others occuring in between.

John, as far as 'thundery showers' go, I'm not a big fan of the expression either, but it is useful because it is concise. It gets the idea of thunderstorms across without using very many words in a regional forecast. If the storms are considered to be significant, then I ask that the word thunderstorms be used.

Paul
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Mini-tornado is an expression used by mini-reporters compiling a mini-item for a mini-news bulletin on a mini-tv station. Put it like that, and they get the idea. :
;)
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Another expression I hate is 'thundery showers' but that is a MetService expression, not the media
Dont mind the term 'thundery showers' but it fits in much better with the Auckland climate than it does with the Canterbury climate.
TokWW

Unread post by TokWW »

I was cycling 10kms home from work at 3:30 for a dental appt when it started. The camera caught a lapse set of pics and will share three...
Just heavy rain and a gust to 43kms at the time of the first pic. No thunder heard here. The sun struggled and then drowned, and later the back end of the cloud was very distinct...

The thumbnails look terrible compared with the originals... ??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A Father can have a hobby because he is the Transport, Referee, Manager, Committee Member Dad!!
LaCrosse WS-2308CH, Sharp VideoCam, ULD Lightning Radar
http://www.inmanavenue.com/
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

TonyT wrote:Mini-tornado is an expression used by mini-reporters compiling a mini-item for a mini-news bulletin on a mini-tv station. Put it like that, and they get the idea. :
;)
Thanx Tony :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

spwill wrote: Dont mind the term 'thundery showers' but it fits in much better with the Auckland climate than it does with the Canterbury climate.
No it's not that. To me the term thundery showers are always associated with heavy showers, which mean that the rain is going to pour down more heavy than a heavy shower ie. The rain is going to be that heavy, it is going to thunder down. The fact that thunder is heard whist the thundery shower is occuring, is irrelevant :? ..or is it? Maybe an electrical discharge in the cloud may make the heavy shower become heavier????
JohnGaul
NZTS
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

TonyT wrote:Mini-tornado is an expression used by mini-reporters compiling a mini-item for a mini-news bulletin on a mini-tv station. Put it like that, and they get the idea. :
;)
now thats the funny awnser for the day! :lol: :lol:
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Manukau heads obs

got phoned up by the father in law to say that the Awhitu Penninsular (i.e where I live) was the place to be for more tornadoes today....on the 6:30am news on 1YA (because we have had them before the reporter said (reference to the one that went the whole length).
The next front does look good, and its timing will be in the mid afternoon....I would think Auckland city is for a chance again...the waitakere ranges help alot...
maybe a weather meet today guys?
RODALCO

Unread post by RODALCO »

;)
Superb quote Tony, thanks for that !!

Spectacular lightning going West, from Albany via Greenhithe, Hobsonville around 1500 hrs. also some hail in between the buckets of rain while the wipers were running on high speed.

Didn't get a chance to post last night, also brxxxed off i didn't have my camera on me. the cloud brim looked very threatening.
Who put the LED's on the lightning arrestor ?
Manukau heads obs

after my report last night of a sudden squall with gusts to 45kts, i see the marine forecast is for squalls to 45 kts (83kmh) 8)
tich

Unread post by tich »

I see in the TV1 News footage of the New Plymouth one that it started as a waterspout before hitting land. The path shown had it crossing a small lake - turning into a waterspout again?
I must've got it wrong :oops: - it was a racecourse not a lake (unless they'd just had a massive downpour); the map on TV showed it in blue. (which I automatically assumed means water) 20 years ago was the last time I was in New Plymouth.

I noticed another blooper on a headline this morning - it effectively said the a tornado hit New Plymouth, then Auckland, and finally Tauranga. :lol: :? From what I've read the longest distance 1 tornado can travel is about 30km, and that would be a pretty massive (F5) one.
KiwiWeather

Unread post by KiwiWeather »

;)
Tee Hee and I suppose the reporter ought to be wearing a "Mini Skirt" - wink
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Peopled_Diagram wrote:
;)
Tee Hee and I suppose the reporter ought to be wearing a "Mini Skirt" - wink
Not sure how Brendon or Mike would react to that.

Nor Jim Hickey for that matter
Christchurch Rocks
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Razor wrote:Not sure how Brendon or Mike would react to that.

I reckon Augie would have done it just for a laugh.

But let's face it, the only one who should is Toni.

Mmmmm, Toni...!
Smeagol

Unread post by Smeagol »

Gary Roberts wrote:
Razor wrote:Not sure how Brendon or Mike would react to that.

I reckon Augie would have done it just for a laugh.

But let's face it, the only one who should is Toni.

Mmmmm, Toni...!
I would have to agree with you there ;) :D
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

back to reality lol currently many damage reports from New Plymouth again last 20 mins of many trees and power lines down in three different areas.. good thunderstorm moving through there by the look of it!!
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Yes, quite an intense thunderstorm through the Taranaki region last hour with property damage reported from Oakura.
spike_01

Unread post by spike_01 »

Location of incident: Taranaki

Incident Type: Tornado

Police are getting reports of several tornadoes hitting the coast of Taranaki from Oakura to Waitara. Police would like to advise residents to stay indoors. As a result several trees have come down onto roads in the area and roofs have been blown off. Fire, ambulance and police are responding.
Issued By: Team Leader Stacey Robinson
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

What the hecks going on?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

From Stuff:

Thursday, 5 July 2007

More tornados hit Taranaki
BREAKING NEWS: A swarm of tornados has hit the North Taranaki coast with reports flooding in of damage in New Plymouth, Waitara and Oakura, just a day after a twister tore through central New Plymouth.

Further reports were coming in that tornados have also hit Stratford, Rahotu, Tikorangi and Egmont Village.

The police and fire brigade received numerous calls from 5.30 this evening about rooves being lifted, windows blown in and trees down.

Police have advised residents from Oakura to Waitarato to stay indoors.

Taranaki Daily News editor Jonathan MacKenzie said "an absolute swarm of tornados" began hitting the region at 5.40pm and it seemed they were still coming.

His newsroom was hearing reports of many, many houses with severe damage, including roofs off, power was out through much of the region and state highways were blocked by falling trees and other debris.

He had also heard reports the fire station at Oakura had been damaged. Inglewood was also affected.

At least one person has been injured - a teenage girl who received treatment for cuts to her feet after the roof of her Oakura home was ripped off.

No further information was immediately available.
Christchurch Rocks
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

A swarm of tornados has hit the North Taranaki coast
More likely wind gusts with that strong Thunderstorm through the area.

More Tstorms brewing out to sea, Waitomo area is next in line.
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

Anyone with access to frequent rain radar images should look at the low pressure system passing over / SE of Taranaki..
Shows what looks like great tight cyclonic vorticity/rotation, that has been over the trail of areas reporting damage, at what must be a decent height at that distance from the radar, Interesting....
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

ricky wrote:Shows what looks like great tight cyclonic vorticity/rotation
A meso-cyclone?