Report Your Frost or (How low did you go)

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Re: Report Your Frost or (How low did you go)

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes Hoar frosts don't occur along coastal areas, i think it's more inland or central like where Gary,Andy are which is perfect for those types of frosts. Perhaps an explanation as to why they occur where you are Gary or Andy?.
The coldest frost that I can remember was back in 2000 when it got down to -10C one morning, that was the same morning when people's pipes in Hanmer broke and the plumbers had a ball across Canterbury.
I think from memory it dropped to -15C recorded in the Hanmer forest.
This was after a very cold outbreak which brought some snow down to sea level which was in July I think.
Anyone else remember this particular event? our pool was frozen 9cm thick on a ruler :shock: .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

A great story about the hoar frosts on Close up on One tonight, absolutely fantastic :D
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

A new low for Omarama this year: -10.5 °C at 08:01. Going to be another perfect day in the Mackenzie. (So long as you aren't in Twizel where it'll be fog and frost as usual!)

Yep, fog from Buscot Station north... :roll:

:)
Last edited by Gary Roberts on Fri 20/07/2007 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Another fog day, temp -6 degrees.

With a southerly change expected tomorrow this will hopfully be the last of this fog and hoar forst conditions.

The fog has been here in Alexandra since last Tuesday :!:
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Gary Roberts wrote:A new low for Omarama this year: -10.5 °C at 08:01. Going to be another perfect day in the Mackenzie. (So long as you aren't in Twizel where it'll be fog and frost as usual!)

I notice from a lot of sampling of the Tekapo webcam that the fog barrier often stops just short of the township - but not always.
Presumably Andy means Tuesday 10th in his Alex. comment, so that's 11 days (inclusive) there of fog conditions.
Gary Roberts

RWood wrote:
Gary Roberts wrote:A new low for Omarama this year: -10.5 °C at 08:01. Going to be another perfect day in the Mackenzie. (So long as you aren't in Twizel where it'll be fog and frost as usual!)

I notice from a lot of sampling of the Tekapo webcam that the fog barrier often stops just short of the township - but not always.
Presumably Andy means Tuesday 10th in his Alex. comment, so that's 11 days (inclusive) there of fog conditions.
I usually travel throughout the Mackenzie during the course of my work day, from the Ahuriri river valley up to the entrance to Burkes Pass. When it comes to fog, the southern area generally gets less than the central and northern parts, mostly I assume because of the altitude differences.

For instance, earlier this week I was working at the Mt Mary repeater site, around 1,000m. It was clear there and at any point in the central and northern Mackenzie from 1,000m-ish and up. Below was completely clagged in. South of Lake Ohau was clear. A few days later while working on a site on the Tekapo canal, about 10km south of Lake Tekapo village, it was foggy south as far as the Omarama cutting, but clear in Omarama and beyond. Lake Tekapo was also clear. However fog would periodically drift north, obscuring the canal and Lake Tekapo village for an hour or so, then clear, while the central Mackenzie remained completely fogged in (as it has been for a week or more).

In other circumstances (ie non-fog events) it can be fine from Lake Pukaki north while low-to-medium level (500m-2,000m) cloud covers the area south of Lake Pukaki (such as Twizel, Omarama, etc). Yet on other days it's the reverse, with Lake Pukaki south being brilliantly fine and Lake Tekapo and surrounds overcast. On those days I like to do a little dance of schadenfreude, because Benmore Peak has clear skies (only the high cloud obscures it) and Mt John is clouded in! :twisted: ;) :lol:
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Interesting - the site data over the years for the whole region on sun and cloud cover is not very extensive.
Another thing of interest would be the extent of overspill in NW rain events on the Alps - ie how far down the lakes significantly heavy rain falls in various circumstances.
Gary Roberts

RWood wrote:Interesting - the site data over the years for the whole region on sun and cloud cover is not very extensive.
Another thing of interest would be the extent of overspill in NW rain events on the Alps - ie how far down the lakes significantly heavy rain falls in various circumstances.
There is a weather station on Rose Ridge (second in altitude only to the Benmore Peak weather station! :D ) and also on the bridge at the turnoff near Mt Cook airport. I can dig out the rain data from those sometime. NIWA has a weather station at Mt Cook behind the DoC admin building, plus a few others scattered around the divide north and south.

My own anecdotal data, based solely on daily observations, suggests that the rain seldom strays far from the body of the lakes. For every rainy day in the main section of the Mackenzie Basin proper, there would scores of days when it's raining up in the catchment areas at the head of the lakes. I don't have figures at my fingertips to support that, although I can probably find it if necessary.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Karshvardidgâh wrote:A great story about the hoar frosts on Close up on One tonight, absolutely fantastic :D
Yes i saw that last night to Karshvardidgah very interesting and an amazing site too be in if i was down there.
Its been a rather dull day really here, low cloud and fog just been heavy drizzle in the last hour or so.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

tornadoman18 wrote:
Karshvardidgâh wrote:A great story about the hoar frosts on Close up on One tonight, absolutely fantastic :D
Yes i saw that last night to Karshvardidgah very interesting and an amazing site too be in if i was down there.
Its been a rather dull day really here, low cloud and fog just been heavy drizzle in the last hour or so.
Hmm dont know about Fog more just low cloud even though it did look like fog at times especially when it was drizzling.
I will be glad to get out of this dizmalality #-o .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Gary Roberts wrote:
RWood wrote:Interesting - the site data over the years for the whole region on sun and cloud cover is not very extensive.
There is a weather station on Rose Ridge (second in altitude only to the Benmore Peak weather station! :D ) and also on the bridge at the turnoff near Mt Cook airport. I can dig out the rain data from those sometime. NIWA has a weather station at Mt Cook behind the DoC admin building, plus a few others scattered around the divide north and south.

My own anecdotal data, based solely on daily observations, suggests that the rain seldom strays far from the body of the lakes. For every rainy day in the main section of the Mackenzie Basin proper, there would scores of days when it's raining up in the catchment areas at the head of the lakes. I don't have figures at my fingertips to support that, although I can probably find it if necessary.
Hmm..Is that turnoff a fair way from the main Mt Cook settlement? There's clearly a very big rainfall gradient from the settlement (eg) to the Basin, so an intermediate spot would certainly be of interest.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Still fog bound in Alexandra temp -4 degrees.

Looking forward to a milder week with lighter frosts, hopfully the ground thaws out so i can get some work done. :D
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Down to -3C here this morning. Currently sitting 1C at 09:30am
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Yes another lovely day here in Christchurch, i thought it would get down lower then minus 1 witch it did.
Few showers expected tonight as forcasters are saying, with snow too 500m at a guess.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Down to -1.4C here in the city, -3C at the airport. :)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

A hint of frost here this morning, a bit of ice on the car windscreen anyway. First and hopefully last frost of the winter. :lol:
RODALCO

Unread post by RODALCO »

Frost overnight in Albany

At work at 0700 hrs icecrystals and thin layers of ice on vehicles and cablejinkers.
Who put the LED's on the lightning arrestor ?
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Drove north early morning and there was quite widespread Frost through rural Auckland/Northland.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Frosty here too in West Melton :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Gary Roberts

A high of 12.7 °C at 15:08 here in Omarama! Spring is in the air, boys!
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

Bit late but yes yesterday had quite a good bit of frost on the ground here, but the thing that got me was the water in the guttering was frozen solid over... reminded me of Napier
Gary Roberts

ricky wrote:Bit late but yes yesterday had quite a good bit of frost on the ground here, but the thing that got me was the water in the guttering was frozen solid over... reminded me of Napier
So that's where our cold went! It's positively balmy down here. A lovely sunny morning.
Lawrence

Slight frost here at Rolleston this morning -1.3c :)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Minus 1ºC here in West Melton :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Lawrence

-0.8c this morning,not the hardest frost we have seen,baro reading1032 and rising,few clouds around. :)